Poll: Which Departure Port?

If you had to choose between Berlin(Warnamunde), Amsterdam or Copenhagen as a departure port, and for pre-stay value, which would you pick? I hope that experienced and new Baltic cruisers weigh in with your opinion!

Copenhagen.

I've never been to Warnemunde or Berlin, but be aware there's about 3 hours drive between them. Your pre-stay would presumably be in Berlin.

I've been to Amsterdam twice. The first day was well worth the trip; the second was a bit wet so I didn't bother. I'd seen all I wanted to.

Copenhagen - I've been there several times and never run out of things to do.

But, of course, you're not me. Amsterdam may be just your thing, you may find Copenhagen dull.

Agree on Copenhagen. Berlin is a bit of a logistical issue getting to the port. Amsterdam is very nice, but adds about 18 or so hours of sailing to get into the Baltic.

Copenhagen is very easy to get around and see.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Wow, so far lots of votes for Copenhagen, thank you. I don't know much about these ports and am trying to research so we pick a great pre-stay port, we likely wont be back in Northern Europe so we want to make sure we have a nice stay. We love small, quaint towns with lots of culture so Copenhagen is probably about right. My concern with Berlin is that it is a big modern city and we would not have time to get out into the smaller traditional towns. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

All three of these are great destination cities, but I would pick Copenhagen or Stockholm for a Baltic Cruise, myself.

Copenhagen is actually the 'capital' of the Oresunds Region that includes Helsingor about an hour north of Copenhagen and Scania (skåne) of southern Sweden. While you could base yourself in central Copenhagen you do have many other options in the well connected region.

http://visitskane.com/en

http://www.visitnorthsealand.com/ln-int/nordsjaelland/visitnorthsealand

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen-tourist

Copenhagen is a lovely place. Last time we were there on a cruise we did a tour to nearby Helsingor Palace so things to see outside the city as well as all the city sights. Amsterdam is also lovely but probably needs a longer single visit. Have fun. We have done 2 Baltic cruises from Southampton and loved them.

Warnemunde is nowhere near Berlin and is a 2-3 hour journey away.

Amsterdam is a great city to visit for a few days before or after a cruise. The cruise terminal is within walking distance of Centraal Station and the fast train to the airport.

Copenhagen is a nice, clean, if expensive city, which is ideal for a day visit if you sail on an itinerary out of Amsterdam. There are several cruise terminals in different docks at varying distances from the city centre. But the city has an excellent train service from the airport.

Depending on on the cruise schedule and pricing, I would choose to sail from Amsterdam, not just because my surname is Holland

And if you sail from the other two alternatives, you will miss Amsterdam!

Edited by Bollinge

Agree on Copenhagen. Berlin is a bit of a logistical issue getting to the port. Amsterdam is very nice, but adds about 18 or so hours of sailing to get into the Baltic. Copenhagen is very easy to get around and see.

Agree strongly with the postings about Copenhagen being super wonderful. As detailed so well by CruiserBruce, the logistics with Copenhagen make things so much better than what Amsterdam or Berlin can provide. For us in the Baltics, we did an 11-day cruise that departed from Dover, allowing time to do wonderful things in the historic and scenic areas south of London. Then, our cruise finished in Stockholm. As detailed below, we a Norway coast cruise that started and finished in Copenhagen.

To prove and verify that Copenhagen is great, below are just two of my visuals. More on the live/blog.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 176,857 views. Lots of Copenhagen visuals on this live/blog.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Thanks for the great visuals Terry (nice to see your picture too, lots of people seem to assume you are a girl-Terry!). It's funny, I talked to a cruise sales agent about transferring from Berlin to Warnamunde and he really made it seem like no big deal...this is why I love this forum, a three hour ride is not for us. Will save Amsterdam for another time (would love to see it). Really excited to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen.....sounds so lovely.

Thanks for the great visuals Terry (nice to see your picture too, lots of people seem to assume you are a girl-Terry!). It's funny, I talked to a cruise sales agent about transferring from Berlin to Warnamunde and he really made it seem like no big deal...this is why I love this forum, a three hour ride is not for us. Will save Amsterdam for another time (would love to see it). Really excited to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen.....sounds so lovely.

Appreciate reading your nice comments on my pictures. PLUS, most important, knowing that I am safely classified as a "guy". Many have addressed and/or assumed that I was a female. That's a very painful thought as I do not think I would look good with any lipstick, wigs and/or skirts. Certainly not in high heels!!

Glad that you are set for Copenhagen and saving Amsterdam for a later visit. Keep up your good research and planning.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,428 views for this posting.

Terry in Ohio...since you have a wealth of knowledge about cruising in Northern Europe I am hoping you can give me your opinion on our dilemma. We cannot decide between a cruise to Norway or the Baltic Sea. We plan to cruise the latter part of August or beginning of September. Your thoughts please and thank you.

Sailoroma in Pennsylvania

Terry in Ohio...since you have a wealth of knowledge about cruising in Northern Europe I am hoping you can give me your opinion on our dilemma. We cannot decide between a cruise to Norway or the Baltic Sea. We plan to cruise the latter part of August or beginning of September. Your thoughts please and thank you. Sailoroma in Pennsylvania

Appreciate this good question!! The answer?? Most depends on your personal interests, travel desires, style, etc. The quick summary/question is for the contrast/choice of . . . .

The Baltics' culture, architecture, history, art, etc. Clearly your two or three days in St. Petersburg is the "super star" attraction or frosting on the cake for doing the Baltics.

VERSUS . . . .

The Norway coast's nature, scenic drama, wildlife, etc.

Tell us more about your background, interests, past Europe travels, what you seek and demand, etc. Look forward to hearing your spectrum of needs and desires. Also . . . .

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Below are a few more visuals from both of these great, but very different, wonderful and charming areas.

Keep the good questions and research rolling along.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,304 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such paintings by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg