LEGENDary Alaska Sailing 6/23-6/30 Photo Review

theriac

We arrived in Faser, BC and had the custom agents board the train and check everyone's passports. Once we all cleared we exited the train and Bruce was exactly where he said he would be. There's restrooms there and also a place to get a novelty passport stamp if you wish to do so. We all boarded the big 20 person bus for the 9 of us and off we were. This part of the tour is just as scenic as the train ride if not more so. The advantage of this part is if you want to get a picture the bus can stop and let you out so you can get that perfect shot.

Our first stop was at this beach where people would launch there boats into a lake.

IMG_0385_zpswjkkjnjn.jpg

IMG_0386_zpsmnfteosc.jpg

IMG_0392_zps1y2q4inz.jpg

IMG_0397_zps2x14i5yg.jpg

IMG_0424_zpsmtckhobt.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsmbqa3atq.jpg

I somehow can't locate the welcome to the Yukon picture but that may be on my phone.

We then got back in the bus and kept approaching our next destination which was Caribou Crossing. It was a definitely touristy there, and the driver gave us an hour and twenty minutes to do it all. They have a taxidermy museum, a little farm, a gift shop(obviously), sledding dogs, and the main attraction LUNCH. Upon arriving Bruce gave everyone a sticker showing that you're supposed to be there. My father and I walked around a bit and then got lunch. I will say this about the lunch, they're definitely trying. They have to feed a ton of people at all different hours and it's not freshly made like at most restaurants. You go to a little stand where you're given 2 pieces of dark meat chicken, half a potato, and a roll. If you want coleslaw you can scoop that yourself once you get into the dining area. There is tea, coffee, and I believe juice for the children. You can purchase soda, beer, and other specialty items at a bar. There is also a pitcher of water on the table. After you're done eating they have some cake doughnuts out for you to have a desert. I will say the doughnuts weren't bad. Enough about that though.

After we finished eating we headed over to see the puppies. As usual the puppies were cute and stole the show as they usually always will. There was also Lamas, a horse, goats, and a donkey(be careful he bit). Off to the side are the sled dogs. They were out pulling tourists sitting on a wheeled sled down a track, there was for a nominal fee for this attraction. After washing my hands from petting these animals we entered a taxidermy museum, yes a taxidermy museum. This is something I know is done, but not something I am accustomed to seeing in Florida other than the few mounted fish some people have here. It was interesting to see what they had on display. Once you complete this you enter a Mounty Museum which also shows you what people had to bring up to the Yukon to pan for gold. It's a small room so you can read and look at everything within 5 minutes. Naturally there was a gift shop as soon as you went through all of the attractions they have to offer. We looked around for a bit and then looked walked around outside seeing if we missed anything.

This part of the tour was good, and I'm glad we stopped I just wish it wasn't so long. Unless you did the sled dogs or are really into taxidermy 45 minutes would be more then sufficient for this part of the trip.

I actually left my camera on the bus here and just took a couple pictures with my phone.

IMG_0435_zps9ydajbfj.jpg

IMG_0436_zpsbfrkgzbj.jpg

IMG_0437_zpsic55vm2o.jpg

IMG_0438_zpsku8v2h1d.jpg

My dad in front of the entrance to this place

We all boarded to leave Caribou Crossing and head to the Emerald lake. When you leave CC it's only about 10 minutes away, and that is the turn around point for this trip. I wasn't sure what to really expect here but this lake was beautiful.

IMG_0440_zpsgadnwpk4.jpg

IMG_0443_zpszd5eqzaw.jpg

After we left here we started heading back toward Skagway, but we still had a few more stops. First we would stop at Bennett Lake and then the town of Carcross. It wasn't a long ride and the driver gave us about 20 minutes in Carcross. You could also stamp your passport here if you so desired.

IMG_0445_zpseiexbtve.jpg

IMG_0450_zpsoustiar7.jpg

IMG_0451_zpsv5j5mq65.jpg

IMG_0462_zps5nfacopx.jpg

We then got back in the bus to head back to Alaska. The driver put on a C.D. of different stories about people who made the area what it was. It was interesting, but you could also tell some people were tired from a long day. The scenery was all the same until we reached where we were picked up from the train station. After we went through U.S. customs and border security we were on our way back into Skagway. It started getting cold again as we went up in elevation and closer to the water. Once we arrived back in Skagway our driver asked if we wanted to go to a look out point where we could see the entire town of Skagway and also the ships docked. This was wonderful excursion and I would highly recommend it. I know it's a popular tour and when I go back I will probably do something else, but I would tell anyone to definitely do this and do it with Chilkoot Charters.

IMG_0464_zpstmohevz3.jpg

IMG_0467_zpso5zvmief.jpg

IMG_0480_zpsnblxtt1p.jpg

IMG_0484_zps0o2rprhd.jpg

IMG_0485_zpsalvt5dfm.jpg

That was it for our 8 hour tour. Again I was very happy with everything with the tour. We got dropped off in Downtown Skagway and looked through a couple shops before making it back to the ship at which point I took a nap. Carnival brought on a local entertainer tonight. It was a man named Steve Hites and he told different stories and sang songs about the Alaska, Skagway, the Klondike, and the gold rush. His show wasn't bad and was definitely something different. Again there wasn't much to do on the ship tonight as the Princess Ship and ours was switching comedians. That was ok though because both my father and I were both tired and had another early day tomorrow in Juneau.

I will come back sometime tomorrow and try to finish this review and answer any questions if anyone has one. I have a lot more pictures too if anyone is interested in seeing them all I can give you the link to my photo bucket library.

I'm enjoying your review thanks! We're on this same itinerary on Aug. 11th.

I've booked a rental car to do the same type of trip ourselves in Skagway where the intent is to drive up to Emerald Lake with scenic stops along the way. Would you recommend stopping in Caribou Crossing for a little bit?

Would love to do a tour with commentary but $184 x 5 people is just too much for us so we're going to try to replicate it as much as possible on our own.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

We sailed in May on the Crown Princess and took the ship excursion doing this same trip in Skagway. The mountains in May were completely covered in snow and absolutely beautiful. People say don't go in May or early Jun, but I have to disagree with them. The scenery was so much more fantastic, just unbelievable. Our temp were in the high 60's and lo 70's and the only rain we had was a drizzle in Ketchican.

Loving your review as it is bringing back some good memories.

Enjoying the review. It's on my bucket list, but being in Florida, I just can't justify spending so much money on plane tickets, at least not at this point in our lives. Maybe one anniversary hubby will make it happen ;)

Loving your reviews of the cruise. Looking forward to reading more. We fly to the USA from Australia in a few weeks & will be on the Legend August 4th cruise. Can't wait to see all the spectacular scenery for myself :)

Thank you so much for the review and the pictures, we have booked this cruise for next year (Glacier Bay not Tracy Arm) but I am loving all the information you are giving us. Thank you ! And hurry back, I will be reading your reivew this week!

Enjoying the review. It's on my bucket list, but being in Florida, I just can't justify spending so much money on plane tickets, at least not at this point in our lives. Maybe one anniversary hubby will make it happen ;)

We are celebrating our 20th (well a few days late) by taking this cruise on the 21st of July. I completely understand the expense issues. We are bringing a family of 5 (plus the in laws and nephew) from Tampa (via Chicago-long story). Hope it works out for you sooner rather than later.

If this helps, I'm in Florida also between Tampa and Orlando. Tampa has a nonstop to Seattle on Alaska Airlines. Tickets were only $385 each. I felt that was very reasonable.

If this helps, I'm in Florida also between Tampa and Orlando. Tampa has a nonstop to Seattle on Alaska Airlines. Tickets were only $385 each. I felt that was very reasonable.

Wish I would have known this. We're flying out of Orlando but we have a layover in LA.

I got my roundtrip airfare through delta for $650 total roundtrip for both of us. We flew out of Tampa. I looked into the Alaska airlines deal, but the times didn't work for us, plus I wanted to add some sky miles.

I will be back later tonight with at least the Juneau portion of the trip.

I'm enjoying your review thanks! We're on this same itinerary on Aug. 11th.

I've booked a rental car to do the same type of trip ourselves in Skagway where the intent is to drive up to Emerald Lake with scenic stops along the way. Would you recommend stopping in Caribou Crossing for a little bit?

Would love to do a tour with commentary but $184 x 5 people is just too much for us so we're going to try to replicate it as much as possible on our own.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

We rented a car in May when we were there on the Legend and drove to Emerald Lake. That drive was the highlight of my trip! And I loved everything about this whole cruise, so that is saying something!! :D

If you haven't already, google Murray's Guide..I bought it and printed copies for each of us (6). It is AWESOME! We were able to keep up with where we were all the time by the mile markers. I think I gave like $10 for it or something...can't remember for sure, but it was worth it's weight in gold to us!

We stopped in Carcross and ate lunch at the little sandwich shop place across from the white church with blue trim (can't miss it :)). They make their bread and it was good!

Enjoy!! And don't forget your passports!

Sheila

PS...loving the pictures and review

Edited by SheilaS

Just a question as to whether the Legend does the inside passage returing to Victoria, or is it at sea both leaving and coming back?

I don't believe it was. It's still inside passage for the part leaving Ketchikan but eventually we made it to open water. There is still always some land in sight, but not the inside passage you would see if you left from Vancouver.

Also I'm sorry I haven't been back recently. I've just been busy with work, but I'm writing up Juneau right now.