Not a fan of Belize

CruiseFan3035

We took the water taxi to Caye Caulker and it was amazing! I think every port is what you make of it.

We went to Belize for the first time 3 years ago (January 2013) while on a cruise. We also took the water taxi to Caye Caulker for the day. We have spent at least 2-3 weeks in Belize the last two winters and have a third trip to Belize planned for this February. We spend most of our time on Caye Caulker but have spent time on San Pedro and will be spending some time in Placencia this winter. We also did a one day cave tubing trip while on a cruise in Belize last winter. We started to stay in port because we had heard so many negative things about this port. We are so glad that we got off the ship and explored the area.

We went to Belize for the first time 3 years ago (January 2013) while on a cruise. We also took the water taxi to Caye Caulker for the day. We have spent at least 2-3 weeks in Belize the last two winters and have a third trip to Belize planned for this February. We spend most of our time on Caye Caulker but have spent time on San Pedro and will be spending some time in Placencia this winter. We also did a one day cave tubing trip while on a cruise in Belize last winter. We started to stay in port because we had heard so many negative things about this port. We are so glad that we got off the ship and explored the area.

Thanks for sharing - helps others coming to Belize - and other ports - for the first time feel more comfortable about exploring. We're building a place in Mexico and look forward to driving to Belize for weekend getaways. We're so lucky, and I feel bad knowing folks miss out because they read such negative posts here.

Enjoy your time!

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm confused. Everything on here sounds pretty nice and what I have come to expect regarding port visits. I went to Travel Advisor to read up about Harvest Caye and it has a lot of bad. I reference some threats specifically directed to cruise passengers. So awful I want to simply stay on the ship. IDK.

Now I'm confused. Everything on here sounds pretty nice and what I have come to expect regarding port visits. I went to Travel Advisor to read up about Harvest Caye and it has a lot of bad. I reference some threats specifically directed to cruise passengers. So awful I want to simply stay on the ship. IDK.

Knowledge is power as they say, and Research is an important step to an enjoyable experience. I see many negative reviews every time I prepare to leave a positive review for a resort we just stayed at, or a particular excursion we just took at a port. Some of the negative reviews are quite accurate and helpful, while others are accurate to some point, yet the reviewer is just being way too critical. And some make me laugh because it's obvious the reviewer had no clue what to expect due to the lack of research. These are common flaws, unfortunately, and can make a mess of these forums. Sometimes things just happen that are out of anyone's control.

So just try to gauge these reviews as best you can and rely on those that seem grounded in fact and are from folks who had reasonable expectations.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...
There are several ports that we don't care to visit again but Belize is not on the list. We have cave tubed, snorkeled two gorgeous places and loafed on a quite, peaceful island. I could go back and definately find something neat to do.

The tourest village and Belize City are pretty sad though. If you don't want to take a tour stay on the ship.

Please give me details on the snorkeling trips and island you went to. Thanks.

Generally those who don't like a port stop are those who don't leave the port area. Get out and explore! Year ago it was fairly safe to walk around Belize and mingle with the locals. The last time I went, that wasn't the safest thing to do. You have to get away from the port itself.

Love OBX you'll find several cays are located off the mainland, many on the reef! Doesn't get any better than that. We love Goff's Caye, we're not avid snorkeler said and enjoy the beach there while friends love the snorkeling. We enjoy ferrying to Caye Caulker and walking the village and limin at the Lazy Lizard. The mainland offers so many other opportunities!

This is an informational post in case you are worried for your safety in Belize. It is not negative in spirit; prima facie facts do not make something negative, just factual. Belize is beautiful to look at, you can tell that from the pictures, and hopefully everyone that visits will get to take a good look. We, like many folks on this thread, prepare and research extensively when planning port activities; as do our group of friends we often share our experiences with. After having researched for about six months, we had everything planned in Belize for our upcoming cruise, but then talked with some friends, actually two sets of friends, who both were accosted by locals while there on different cruises over the past two years. One was on a beach excursion, where they were threatened, as one poster has already said happened to them; the other in the market shopping, where they were badgered and stalked because they apparently made the mistake of spending some money with a young vendor. It was so bad they had to be rude, again, similar to what we have seen posted on this thread. Having been to easily more than 50 port stops over the years, I never remember being really worried about protecting my wife or children, but hearing the story that happened on the beach, I would have surely been in a Belize jail had it happened to my wife. Just sayin'.

Our friends were also told that there are no natural beaches in Belize, which I researched and it is true (except for Placencia Pennisula, which is not listed on our excursion choices). But we have the opportunity to go to some natural beaches on our upcoming cruise, so I don't see us "beaching" at Belize. We are still going on an excursion, so we can at least say we saw some of the place, but if we were choosing this cruise again, we wouldn't book it. We would go another "port route", so to speak. Our research says it is more likely on Belize for someone to ruin our good day with criminal or badgering behavior, as opposed to other ports we have enjoyed; because neither we, nor our friends, have experienced the level of this that they reported in Belize anywhere else that our cruise ship has stopped. For the three couples, I would say that is somewhere around 200 port stops on cruise ships. If you say it "could happen anywhere", I would say you were right, as we have had some less-than-desirable situations at other ports; but for our group, it has only happened or been reported as happening severely enough in Belize to make lasting impact and ruin the port. Combined with the less enjoyable experiences people were good enough to share on this thread (Thank you, BTW, as all information is good information), let's just say we will take the high road when making the final decision as to what to do in Belize. We always find something to enjoy, and I'm certain we will on Belize. But we also understand those that don't always find something to enjoy, as every place is not for everybody. Thank goodness we all get to choose, and thank goodness that there are good people like those on this thread that share the good and the bad to help us choose wisely.

This is an informational post in case you are worried for your safety in Belize. It is not negative in spirit; prima facie facts do not make something negative, just factual. Belize is beautiful to look at, you can tell that from the pictures, and hopefully everyone that visits will get to take a good look. We, like many folks on this thread, prepare and research extensively when planning port activities; as do our group of friends we often share our experiences with. After having researched for about six months, we had everything planned in Belize for our upcoming cruise, but then talked with some friends, actually two sets of friends, who both were accosted by locals while there on different cruises over the past two years. One was on a beach excursion, where they were threatened, as one poster has already said happened to them; the other in the market shopping, where they were badgered and stalked because they apparently made the mistake of spending some money with a young vendor. It was so bad they had to be rude, again, similar to what we have seen posted on this thread. Having been to easily more than 50 port stops over the years, I never remember being really worried about protecting my wife or children, but hearing the story that happened on the beach, I would have surely been in a Belize jail had it happened to my wife. Just sayin'.

Our friends were also told that there are no natural beaches in Belize, which I researched and it is true (except for Placencia Pennisula, which is not listed on our excursion choices). But we have the opportunity to go to some natural beaches on our upcoming cruise, so I don't see us "beaching" at Belize. We are still going on an excursion, so we can at least say we saw some of the place, but if we were choosing this cruise again, we wouldn't book it. We would go another "port route", so to speak. Our research says it is more likely on Belize for someone to ruin our good day with criminal or badgering behavior, as opposed to other ports we have enjoyed; because neither we, nor our friends, have experienced the level of this that they reported in Belize anywhere else that our cruise ship has stopped. For the three couples, I would say that is somewhere around 200 port stops on cruise ships. If you say it "could happen anywhere", I would say you were right, as we have had some less-than-desirable situations at other ports; but for our group, it has only happened or been reported as happening severely enough in Belize to make lasting impact and ruin the port. Combined with the less enjoyable experiences people were good enough to share on this thread (Thank you, BTW, as all information is good information), let's just say we will take the high road when making the final decision as to what to do in Belize. We always find something to enjoy, and I'm certain we will on Belize. But we also understand those that don't always find something to enjoy, as every place is not for everybody. Thank goodness we all get to choose, and thank goodness that there are good people like those on this thread that share the good and the bad to help us choose wisely.

>> Our research says it is more likely on Belize for someone to ruin our good day with criminal or badgering behavior, as opposed to other ports we have enjoyed; because neither we, nor our friends, have experienced the level of this that they reported in Belize anywhere else that our cruise ship has stopped. <<

That's a very misleading statement about research. You're going by your own experiences rather than research to base your conclusion, and that is merely your interpretation alone.

Unfortunately there are hundreds of these reports for all ports including the eastern Carib and other ports you may feel safer in. And many of these are posted by third parties who cannot corroborate the stories but spread them anyway with no concern about the impact that has on folks just visiting this forum for the first time.

I'm not saying locals won't pester you as vendors make money to feed their families only by selling their wares. And in the case you mentioned of your friends in the market, if you buy something from one vendor when there are several vendors there that's just not a smart move. Hold off in that situation. Many people also feel threatened over the least little pressure from vendors because they're just very thin-skinned or inexperienced with other cultures and that gets blown out of proportion as a result of their reports.

So yes things can happen and you take all the precautions you feel are necessary and just use plain old common sense. But don't miss out on the beauty of Belize (yes there are most definitely gorgeous natural beaches) or any other port based on unsubstantiated or vague reports of visitors being threatened.

Enjoy your cruise by being both safe AND sane :)

While we do make the most of each port, I find it somewhat frustrating when you have to buy an excursion in order to see anything of real interest at certain ports. Belize happens to be one of them.

While I loved Belize i do agree that you shouldn't have to buy an excursion to enjoy a port. However you might have simply not yet found the parts you like just yet you might just need more time to look around that was the case for us in Progresso Mexico. We hated that port till we found somethi gs we loved there it did however take us 3 trips to do so.

"That's a very misleading statement about research. You're going by your own experiences rather than research to base your conclusion, and that is merely your interpretation alone."

Ahh, but it is our interpretation that counts for us. And we are both sane and both have common sense, as do our friends. Your insults are neither necessary or appropriate. Enjoy Belize all you want, but I promise you, you cannot force me or anyone else to share your opinion, so please back off with your snide and rude innuendos inferring that only your opinions can possibly correct. Why would someone insist that because they like something everyone else must also or they are wrong? We are trying to provide information; many people on this thread have voiced their reservations about this port, so obviously there are some issues. We have no interest in arguing. Use my information or don't use it, but please spare us the inference that you and only you know everything about Belize and everyone who doesn't share your opinion either didn't "research" to your satisfaction or doesn't have common sense. We call that "arrogant" in our little community. We will waste no more time on this thread, so please love Belize and be safe and if possible, non-judgmental about others' opinion or feelings about the place. Geesh. This was supposed to be fun.

Have your friends provided a first-hand account of these two terrorizing events?

They didn't say they were terrorized, so I guess not. Sorry I can't help with that. Maybe others on the thread were terrorized and they can provide details. But, I must beg your leave, as we are off this thread to calmer waters. God Bless You.

Belize has gorgeous sandy beaches...all on outer islands, NOT the mainland. If you want a pretty beach, where the tourists go who are there for vacations not just cruises, then you have to fly to an outer island or take a ferry boat.

"That's a very misleading statement about research. You're going by your own experiences rather than research to base your conclusion, and that is merely your interpretation alone."

Ahh, but it is our interpretation that counts for us. And we are both sane and both have common sense, as do our friends. Your insults are neither necessary or appropriate. Enjoy Belize all you want, but I promise you, you cannot force me or anyone else to share your opinion, so please back off with your snide and rude innuendos inferring that only your opinions can possibly correct. Why would someone insist that because they like something everyone else must also or they are wrong? We are trying to provide information; many people on this thread have voiced their reservations about this port, so obviously there are some issues. We have no interest in arguing. Use my information or don't use it, but please spare us the inference that you and only you know everything about Belize and everyone who doesn't share your opinion either didn't "research" to your satisfaction or doesn't have common sense. We call that "arrogant" in our little community. We will waste no more time on this thread, so please love Belize and be safe and if possible, non-judgmental about others' opinion or feelings about the place. Geesh. This was supposed to be fun.

I think the person you are refering to is 100% correct in that you opinion of a place and reserch of a place are two diffrent things. It is misleading to say i reserched a place then only give your opinion.

Edited by CJHAN

SkipReality, thank you for taking the time to share detailed accounts of your personal research into safety in Belize - it serves as an important red flag, and each individual can make choices based on their own tolerance for risk and can take proper precautions if they do take an excursion in the port. I checked out the U.S. Department of State Advisory on Belize at http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/belize.html

,and this is what it had to say:

Hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the world visit Belize safely every year, but Belize is rated high for crime. Domestic gang members and other criminals have used fragmentation grenades and firearms to settle disputes. Neither U.S. citizens nor other foreign nationals are known to have been the victims or targets of terrorist activity in Belize. No areas are closed to travel but visitors should exercise caution, particularly in southern Belize City and remote areas along Belize’s borders.

To stay connected:

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program for up to date important safety and security announcements.

Follow the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.

Bookmark the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution.

Follow the U.S. Embassy in Belize on Twitter, Facebook, and visit the Embassy’s website.

In the event of an emergency, contact us at 1-888-407-4747 toll-free within the United States and Canada, or via a regular toll line, 1-202-501-4444, from other countries.

Take some time before traveling to consider your personal security and check for useful tips for traveling safely abroad.

CRIME: Although the majority of reported criminal incidents occur in Belize City, particularly southern Belize City, crime may occur anywhere including tourist destinations such as San Pedro Town (Ambergris Caye), Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, Dangriga, Corozal, and Placencia. Much of the violent crime in Belize occurs on the south side of Belize City, home to several street gangs. Law enforcement and security forces are allowed to conduct warrantless searches of personnel and property in “crime ridden” areas. A lack of capacity, resources,and training impedes the ability of the police to effectively investigate crime and apprehend serious offenders. As a result, the majority of crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted.

Crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, home invasions, shootings, stabbings, murders, and sexual assaults, remains high. Tourists at resorts and on the roads and river ways, and in the Teakettle/Camalote/Roaring Creek corridor just outside of Belmopan, have been targeted. Incidents of crime (such as theft, burglary, home invasion, purse-snatching, and pick-pocketing) increase during the winter holidays and during spring break, but can occur anytime of year. Sexual harassment and/or assault of persons traveling alone or in small groups have been reported. There have been several sexual assaults on U.S. citizens leaving night clubs, and even during daylight hours.

There has been a significant increase in homicides in other areas of Belize, most notably Cayo District and Ambergis Caye, in the past several years. Robberies, home invasions, sexual assaults and daytime assaults are committed across Belize. Victims, including U.S. citizens, have mainly been targets of opportunity. Violent crimes are not common in tourist areas, but U.S. citizens have been assaulted in Caye Caulker and San Pedro, including reports of sexual assault.

We encourage U.S. citizens to exercise caution and good situational awareness in all their travel activities. Visitors should travel in groups and only during daylight hours. Avoid wearing jewelry or carrying valuable or expensive items. Visitors to tourist attractions should travel in groups and remain at the main plazas at Maya ruins and the central areas. Although there are armed guards stationed at many of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking alone or in small groups from one site to another. While many victims of theft are unharmed and only robbed of personal belongings and cash, victims who resist have suffered injury. U.S. citizens who become victims of a robbery should report it immediately to the nearest police station as well as notifying the Embassy.

Do not leave valuables unattended in vehicles, hotel rooms, or on the beach. Consider leaving high value items, such as cameras and other electronics, at home. Women’s handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Cash transactions should always be handled discreetly; avoid openly displaying money in public.

Theft of credit card information or funds committed against patrons of tourist destinations happens frequently in some areas of Belize. Belize is not “PCI Compliant” (PCI – Payment Card Industry) with the Point of Sale credit card swipe machines used at hotels. This means that when a receipt is printed out from a credit card machine, it does not delete the first 12 numbers of the credit card number, instead printing the numbers, making it easy for someone such as a server at a restaurant, a cashier at a store, or a front desk clerk at a hotel to record the numbers for making unauthorized charges against the card. It is believed that several credit card fraud rings are currently active in Belize, particularly in San Pedro.

“Confidence scams” also occur in Belize, especially in resort areas. While there is no indication U.S. citizens are specifically singled out because of their nationality, tourists in general are particularly vulnerable to these crimes, resulting in visitors being pick-pocketed or robbed. More serious crimes have included armed robbery, physical assault, and being swindled out of large sums of money from fraudulent real estate and land sales or other business deals.

There have been reports of fraud committed against expatriates who have attempted to purchase land in Belize. Many expats have reported being the victim of scams in which land is purchased that either did not exist or was legally owned by other parties. It has been reported that Belizean authorities have not been proactive in investigating these crimes and enacting measures to ensure that they do not occur in the future.

Drug use is common in some tourist areas, but you should not buy, sell, hold, or take illegal drugs under any circumstances. Tourists arrested with illegal drugs may be detained until trial, and if convicted, face lengthy prison sentences in Belize. Belize classifies marijuana as an illegal drug for which a conviction of possession of even small amounts could result in heavy fines or imprisonment. Belize does not recognize the medical use of marijuana as permitted in some U.S. states, and U.S. citizens can be charged, fined or serve time in jail for possession of an illegal substance.

Do not buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. Not only are these items illegal in the United States, if you purchase them you may also be breaking local laws.

Possession of a firearm or ammunition requires a license from the Government of Belize. An individual charged merely with possession of an unlicensed firearm, or unlicensed ammunition, is subject to imprisonment without bail and charges in the Belizean Supreme Court. Several U.S. citizens have received stiff prison sentences for possessing small quantities of ammunition.

VICTIMS OF CRIME: If you or someone you know becomes the victim of a crime abroad, you should contact the local police and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. The Consular section can:

Replace a stolen passport.

Help you find appropriate medical care if you are the victim of violent crimes such as assault or rape.

Put you in contact with the appropriate police authorities, and if you want us to, contact family members or friends.

Help you understand the local criminal justice process and direct you to local attorneys, although it is important to remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line in Belize is 911.

Please see information for victims of crime, including possible victim compensation programs in the United States.

Yes your interpretations are indeed what count for you, not disputing that at all. But "interpretations" is a better term. And this forum is definitely for discussions and opinions. I would apologize if I thought that I was being arrogant but I was not arrogant at all. And I don't believe I was making rude or snide statements or innuendos at all either. Just voicing my opinion of your post, nothing more. If your take from my response is that I think I am an expert on Belize you are way off the mark my friend, nothing of the sort. I simply don't like seeing unsubstantiated or third-party "misinformation" that creates zero guidance for newer folks here. I think common sense just goes a a long way, not only when traveling, but when posting.

Just for a lark, I looked at travel advisories for the USA posted on other countries. Enough said. Most crime in Belize is not directed at tourists. The same cannot be said for other countries.

For those who are afraid to get off the ship in Belize, they are better off staying on board and enjoying what the ship has to offer. For those who wish that the cruise ships did not come to Belize, please find another cruise. Most of us in Belize wish that the cruise ships NEVER docked here so we will not miss cruise tourists. The country gains very little from cruise tourism dollars and suffers much damage to our reef, countryside, and reputation.

For those who adventure out, most return to spend time in our wonderful country. Many even move here. So while part of me wants to dispel many of the second hand stories about stuff that is supposed to have happened here, the other part says don't bother defending Belize because those guests are ones that will likely never come or ones we wish had found another port.

I love Belize and know many agree with me. For those afraid, I can only tell you that I live here, am never afraid, walk alone in some of the very areas that "supposed" crimes are taking place. Do not be stupid when you travel and you are not likely to ever feel afraid.

Janice

Janice

Just for a lark, I looked at travel advisories for the USA posted on other countries. Enough said. Most crime in Belize is not directed at tourists. The same cannot be said for other countries.

For those who are afraid to get off the ship in Belize, they are better off staying on board and enjoying what the ship has to offer. For those who wish that the cruise ships did not come to Belize, please find another cruise. Most of us in Belize wish that the cruise ships NEVER docked here so we will not miss cruise tourists. The country gains very little from cruise tourism dollars and suffers much damage to our reef, countryside, and reputation.

For those who adventure out, most return to spend time in our wonderful country. Many even move here. So while part of me wants to dispel many of the second hand stories about stuff that is supposed to have happened here, the other part says don't bother defending Belize because those guests are ones that will likely never come or ones we wish had found another port.

I love Belize and know many agree with me. For those afraid, I can only tell you that I live here, am never afraid, walk alone in some of the very areas that "supposed" crimes are taking place. Do not be stupid when you travel and you are not likely to ever feel afraid.

Janice

Well said Janice. In another thread or 2 I mentioned that we considered buying our retirement home in Belize because we love the natural beauty and the people there are wonderful. And the fact that English is the main language also doesn't hurt. We ended up building a home 4 or 5 hrs to the north in the Riviera Maya but plan to spend time in Belize too. We're not impacted by the cruise industry as much there which is very nice. But Belize and other areas are most definitely worth visiting!

To those who are interested in the natural beauty, wildlife, amazing water and beaches of Belize and other destinations in the area, cruising is a great way to get that initial experience. I urge you to sift through the highly critical and usually unsubstantiated posts you see here and in other public forums like cruise critic, as well as the 5 star reports, and make your plans based on the very helpful information that is available here. Then experience these beautiful destinations for yourself - How exciting is that! If you are as fortunate as Janice and us and others you may find yourself spending more time here!

Edited by blue_water