Cruise Air in General

gdlamberth

If a cruise is advertised as 7 day cruise embarking on Saturday and disembarking at 8AM the following Saturday, it appears the cruise line is counting the embarkation day as "Day 1" of the cruise. No problem and has never been an issue previously. HOWEVER, we are now booked on a cruise where we embark on a Saturday and the ship actually sails Sunday morning at 4AM or so. We are also using O Air and the flights arranged by O are getting us to the embarking city airport late Saturday evening. While there will be no problem getting to the ship before sailing; it seems we're missing out on a day of our "7 Day" cruise. First time this has happened to us. Normally we arrive (cruise air or our own air) mid afternoon, get our luggage in time to have dinner in the main dining room and feel like we've spent "a day" on the ship. This time we'll be lucky to get our luggage delivered to our room before midnight.:(

Am I being absurd or are we just having a bit of bad karma.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Greg

Have you talked with your travel agent or O. You could always deviate and pick the flights you want both arriving and departing.

Might help if you provide more details -- which cruise as some areas of the world most direct flights would arrive in the evening..(India, Middle East, Asia).

Edited by PaulMCO

Are there earlier flights to PPT that would connect with your flight from Arizona??

I would check then ask if they can get you on the earlier flight but since it looks like a charter flight

it may not be possible but worth asking O

Or pay the deviation fee & fly in the day before

Some routings it is better to pay the deviation fee or DIY

Edited by LHT28

Are there earlier flights to PPT that would connect with your flight from Arizona??

I would check then ask if they can get you on the earlier flight but since it looks like a charter flight is may not be possible but worth asking O

Or pay the deviation fee & fly in the day before

I just spoke with O. There is a scheduled flight sequence that would get us in at 0505 on Saturday. For us (I know that's an unattractive hour for some) that would be preferable. There are two seats available on that (there's 10 in my group (its a reunion thing)) and the plus up will be about $500pp.

My real issue isn't with the flights or arriving in the evening, its with paying for a 12 day cruise and only getting 11 days plus 2 hours. Unfortunately there are about 300-500 folks in the same boat (no pun intended) as us (O has at least two charters both arriving Saturday evening). My guess is that they knew from the beginning that they would be using charter flights arriving in the evening. I guess we're lucky they didn't advertise it as a 13 day cruise, we will be on board until 8Am on the 16th:rolleyes:.

Had we know we were going to be on a chartered flight 6 months ago we would have taken the air credit and got ourselves on the flight arriving at 0505, while that was available at reasonable prices. Now I feel a bit like I do prepping for a colonoscopy...I know I have to do and there is no other real solution; but, it's still not any fun. The other 8 folks in our group agreed to join us on an Oceania trip because my wife and I told them how much we enjoyed our previous O experience. Don't think any of them will ever sail O again. Even if the rest of the trip is wonderful, getting to this point has been not user friendly.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Greg

I have read on CC many times about the flights to PPT & how they use charter flights for some flights

It is too bad you did not see any of those threads or you could have been prepared

I think this is one of those areas that are not easy to get to

I do hope you enjoy the cruise

the upside is your cabin will be ready when you arrive :D

Lyn

What time does your flight arrive in PPT?

Also, flying to PPT is very specific, not in general. It's probably one of the most specific routings you'll take with Oceania.

Edited by ORV

I am on that cruise and took the air credit due to the many discussions regarding arrival times into Tahiti. Some will prefer day flights and other will prefer to arrive early. There are pros and cons. Hopefully room service can help with the transition.

2025 (8:25pm).

If all goes well you should be on the ship by 9:15 or so. Of course depending on where you're from it'll be about 5 hours later to you.

You do have a point about missing a day you've paid for, perhaps they adjust this into the fare price. I certainly wouldn't prebuy a drink package.

If we're on board by 2130 or so, that would be nice. On another board a poster indicated that when they arrived on a flight that got them on the ship about 2100 the Terrace was still open. That would really be nice. Board, have a relaxing bite to eat while our luggage is making it to the room, maybe a drink and still get to bed before midnight. Our TA has a call into O to see if the Terrace will really be held open for the 300 or so folks arriving after normal dinner hours.

Greg

I'm sorry for the OP and her group.

We really like Oceania but we have never, ever used their air program. We always take the credit and book our own air. Fortunately our TA educated us on the pros and cons and we've never looked back. We don't even bother with the air deviation program.

PPT is challenging from an air perspective, there are not many flights to choose from. Book early. We flew in from LA four days early to avoid the fatigue and jet lag of same day embarkation.

I remember seeing the charter passengers checking in around 8pm. I think their flight got in early. Most everyone went straight to the Terrace Grill and got served but I heard some had to get a room service meal. To the OP, Grab your lugggage and go to the taxi area, flat fare to downtown was about thirty dollars. The cruise dock is downtown. You will get there faster and maybe avoid check in lines with a taxi verses getting on the cruise bus. Check in will be in the show lounge. Good luck.

Edited by sammiedawg

If we're on board by 2130 or so, that would be nice. On another board a poster indicated that when they arrived on a flight that got them on the ship about 2100 the Terrace was still open. That would really be nice. Board, have a relaxing bite to eat while our luggage is making it to the room, maybe a drink and still get to bed before midnight. Our TA has a call into O to see if the Terrace will really be held open for the 300 or so folks arriving after normal dinner hours.

Greg

What air arrangements did O make for you to California to pick up the flight to PPT? How much time between flights? I am on a "10" day to Tahiti next May, and I am coming from Newark - wondering if we will have non-stop from EWR to LAX.

What air arrangements did O make for you to California to pick up the flight to PPT? How much time between flights? I am on a "10" day to Tahiti next May, and I am coming from Newark - wondering if we will have non-stop from EWR to LAX.

Why not just call Oceania or if you used a TA get them to see what O will give you

Then pay the deviation & fly in a day or more early

That way you can choose the flights that suit you & you will know in advance & not wait until 2-3 months prior & be unhappy with what they provide you

Sometimes it is worth the extra deviation fee for peace of mind & knowing your flights

First off, I tend to agree with LHT28. Even if you don't fly in two or three days ahead and just fly in the morning of your cruise on regularly scheduled ATN air.

To answer your question: We are coming from Billings, MT; Albuquerque, Denver and Phoenix. Our PHX connections are IMHO quite reasonable. Denver also. Billings is just about as hard to get in and out of as PPT, so the connections there aren't great but may be about as good as is reasonable. On the other hand, the flights in and out of ABQ are poor at best. There are several 0600-0900 flights non-stop and direct out of ABQ that get to LAX more than three hours before the charter's 1400 departure. O has our ABQ folks leaving ABQ at 0500 and going to DFW with a lay over and plane change and then to LAX. Still with a 4 hour layover in LAX (three is the minimum they'll do for an international). Our ABQ party also has a 4 hour layover in LAX and a 4 hour layover in PHX on the way home...so it will be a REALLY long day for them.

O's air into PPT seems (my guess) to be driven by the size of their ships. I've used Paul Gauguin and Silversea air into PPT before and always was booked on scheduled air. But the ships on those cases were only about half the size of Sirena.

To expand on Lyn's comment above. If you're going to do an air deviation do it early. We looked at doing an air deviation after we received O's air arrangements for us. in addition to the $175 pp deviation fee we were looking at a $300-$575 plus up per person for the additional cost over the Charter's cost.

Greg

We arrived in Papeete on that night flight a few years ago. We had started very early from the east coast so it worked out well. We took a cab not O from the airport and were on the ship by about 9:30. The Terrace was open for the late arriving charter and drinks were available in several places. The rooms were ready and I do not think we waited more than an hour or so for the luggage. Certainly it was well before midnight. I did not feel we were cheated out of a day-it is lovely at night in French Polynesia. Incidentally, eat in the international part of LAX if you have time to kill before your flight. The charter was a little cramped and the food not the best. Enjoy the cruise.

We arrived in Papeete on that night flight a few years ago. We had started very early from the east coast so it worked out well. We took a cab not O from the airport and were on the ship by about 9:30. The Terrace was open for the late arriving charter and drinks were available in several places. The rooms were ready and I do not think we waited more than an hour or so for the luggage. Certainly it was well before midnight. I did not feel we were cheated out of a day-it is lovely at night in French Polynesia. Incidentally, eat in the international part of LAX if you have time to kill before your flight. The charter was a little cramped and the food not the best. Enjoy the cruise.

We, too, are coming from the East Coast, presumably on the same charter flight. Did you have a problem the next day or two with jet lag? Were you able to pick your own seats on ATN and were bulkhead seats available? How soon before the cruise did O assign the flights. Did you have a non-stop from the East Coast (Newark?)

We, too, are coming from the East Coast, presumably on the same charter flight. Did you have a problem the next day or two with jet lag? Were you able to pick your own seats on ATN and were bulkhead seats available? How soon before the cruise did O assign the flights. Did you have a non-stop from the East Coast (Newark?)

A few years ago we were on a charter flight with Oceania to PPT and there were no assigned seats, when we checked in I asked the agent if there were any bulkhead and sure enough we got them, they were great seats, about 6 or 8 ft in front of us. Enough room that people stood there when stretching and walking around and they weren't in our way, even with our legs stretched out.

A few years ago we were on a charter flight with Oceania to PPT and there were no assigned seats, when we checked in I asked the agent if there were any bulkhead and sure enough we got them, they were great seats, about 6 or 8 ft in front of us. Enough room that people stood there when stretching and walking around and they weren't in our way, even with our legs stretched out.

Good to know! I will make sure I check in real early and request the seats!!