Viking Ocean Homelands-Stavanger Norway-Pulpit Rock Boat Tour

60andhappy

We are on the Viking Sea, with a port day in Stavanger in Aug. I have been looking at independent boat tours to view Pulpit Rock from below. The Viking excursion offered includes a stop I don't see on independent tours "Before returning to Stavanger, you’ll pause and disembark at an idyllic beach at Helleren to go ashore for waffles, best served with cream and sweet jams" Does anyone know what company Viking uses. I'm not interested in the jam just the stop.

Thanks.

We are booked with http://www.rodne.no/en/. It is so much cheaper than Viking and no waffle stop. Our only concern is the timing. We will be there May 21 and taking the 2:00 tour. We wouldn't have been docked in time for the earlier tour, unfortunately. It returns at 5:00. We are to leave Stavanger at 6:00. It is a huge gamble but I have read others have used this company as well and they are only a few minutes walk away from the ship.

In looking into this for our September 3 VH cruise, I found that Norled (norled.no/en/fjordcruise/lysefjord-Pulpit-Rock-Cruise) has a similar cruise at 12:15, returning at 15:45. Don't think it stops, but they get water from the waterfall and feed the mountain goats.They have a promotional video at https://wn.com/pulpit_rock_cruise_at_the_lysefjord, so you can see the boat, etc. Looks like it might be a solution to the tight scheduling with Rodne? Has anyone in the Viking "family" used Norled?

Great question soundcruiser. I would love to hear if anyone has used them, too. The hours are MUCH better than Rodne. I see they pick up from Skagenkaien, Stavanger. I wish I could remember the name of the Port in Stavanger where we dock.

JiminyC_fan, if you go here, and scroll to the map at the bottom of the page, you can see the harbor where the cruise ships dock on either side of the "U" it makes. Both Rodne and Norled dock in that same area on Skagenkaien - it looks like probably a 10-15 minute walk at most from one side of the harbor to the other, even if you dock on the other side of the harbor on Strandkaien. I loved the photos this website has of the town of Stavanger! It looks just beautiful.

In looking into this for our September 3 VH cruise, I found that Norled (norled.no/en/fjordcruise/lysefjord-Pulpit-Rock-Cruise) has a similar cruise at 12:15, returning at 15:45. Don't think it stops, but they get water from the waterfall and feed the mountain goats.They have a promotional video at https://wn.com/pulpit_rock_cruise_at_the_lysefjord, so you can see the boat, etc. Looks like it might be a solution to the tight scheduling with Rodne? Has anyone in the Viking "family" used Norled?

Unfortunately our cruise had engine problems and we never made it to Stavager. However, we had booked with Norled and I had asked the same question. Here is their answer regrading the distance. They were very responsive and I am sorry we missed this port from the sea.Hope this helps.

"If you use google maps and enter Strandkaien, Stavanger you will see the port where your ship will dock. Departure point for the Pulpit Rock Cruise is at Skagenkaien, on the other side of the harbour. Just a few minutes walk away. The Stavanger harbour is naturally very deep and allows big ships to come all the way into the city centre.

We look forward to seeing you in Stavanger! :-)"

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked with http://www.rodne.no/en/. It is so much cheaper than Viking and no waffle stop. Our only concern is the timing. We will be there May 21 and taking the 2:00 tour. We wouldn't have been docked in time for the earlier tour, unfortunately. It returns at 5:00. We are to leave Stavanger at 6:00. It is a huge gamble but I have read others have used this company as well and they are only a few minutes walk away from the ship.

I just booked this same excursion cruise on a different date. Will be interested to see what you think. Hope your timing works out ok.

I just booked this same excursion cruise on a different date. Will be interested to see what you think. Hope your timing works out ok.

Unfortunately, last Friday I cancelled Rodne and booked with Norled. I was just too nervous and didn't want to gamble. Rodne was prompt in crediting my card. Let me know how it goes for you.

Unfortunately, last Friday I cancelled Rodne and booked with Norled. I was just too nervous and didn't want to gamble. Rodne was prompt in crediting my card. Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks! I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on your Viking Homelands cruise in general. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Thanks! I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on your Viking Homelands cruise in general. Hope you have a wonderful time.

I'm not real big on writing reviews but I will attempt to write one. I know a couple of other people have said they would like to know my thoughts as well. When is your cruise?

I'm not real big on writing reviews but I will attempt to write one. I know a couple of other people have said they would like to know my thoughts as well. When is your cruise?

We are on the Viking Sky leaving Stockholm on July 29, 2017. What ship are you on?

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse last week and took the Rodne tour. It was fantastic and about 3-5 minute walk from where the ship docked.

They added an 11:00 tour on the day we were in port. I think the 2:00 would be fine but I'd also worry about 6:00 departure.

DH and I booked a private Rodne cruise last year when in Stavanger. Three other couples from Cruise Critic joined us. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Always good to hear from first hand experience. Glad you enjoyed the tour, as we are looking forward to the same. Thanks for the info.

We are currently on Star. We were in Stavenger 4 days ago. We had booked the 10 am Rodne Pulpit Rock tour, we had a slight concern, as it was due back at 1 pm and we were due to sail at 2 pm. The gentleman at the dock side assured me we would be back at 1 pm on the dot, ......We were.

It is a fabulous trip, just be prepared, it can get very chilly, take layers that can both be put on and taken off.

We are currently on Star. We were in Stavenger 4 days ago. We had booked the 10 am Rodne Pulpit Rock tour, we had a slight concern, as it was due back at 1 pm and we were due to sail at 2 pm. The gentleman at the dock side assured me we would be back at 1 pm on the dot, ......We were.

It is a fabulous trip, just be prepared, it can get very chilly, take layers that can both be put on and taken off.

Thank you for posting this! We will be on the Viking Sky in Stavenger, and I have been hesitant to book this tour since the ship departs at 2:00! Have you taken any other excursions? What did you do in Eidfjord and Alborg?

Viking Fan 1, I would love to know what tours you ended up with from Viking and what the 2nd and 3rd times were. Some places, it may not matter but in others it my. Looking forward to hearing about how you make out and the details of each port. I am going to be in your position next year am very interested. Thanks

Viking Fan 1, I would love to know what tours you ended up with from Viking and what the 2nd and 3rd times were. Some places, it may not matter but in others it my. Looking forward to hearing about how you make out and the details of each port. I am going to be in your position next year am very interested. Thanks

I'll be glad to share any details about our trip. On the included excursions, I wanted the first one off the ship but so did everyone else! So if the first group left at 9, the earliest I could get was 10:30 or 11. This is a real inconvenience if you have to be tendered into town and if the ship departs at 3. I've just got to focus on the positive. I did book with Alla for the 2 day tour in St. Petersburg--great reviews, small group, local guide/driver and a much better price than Viking.