Juneau & Ketchacan

debnjoe1438

Going to Alaska end of September. Need some suggestions of economical things to do and/or reasonably priced tours. (Ship tours, kind of pricey)

Booked with Chilkoot for Skagway. :)

Thanks, any and all help is appreciated.

There are self-guided town tours, hiking, and free or low-cost museums in both Ketchikan and Juneau. These are the things we plan to do.

I found out about these things by reading some "Alaska by Cruiseship" guidebooks from my local library.

I would do as Grandma Cruising suggested and book a whale tour in Juneau. Ketchikan is kind of neat to see the logger show but you can also just walk around downtown Ketchikan and meander down Creek street. Ketch is much more walkable whereas Juneau, to get to the glacier, etc., you really need transport. We really do see whales every time we go out in our boat from May to September.

In Ketchican, we enjoyed the Duck Boat tour of the city. We also enjoyed the Lumber Show. Both of them are very funny and informative. Good family entertainment. In Juneau, I recommend you take the Mt. Roberts Tram. Beautiful views. You can walk around town. Stop by the Red Dog Saloon. Good entertainment in a fun place.

Another affordable option in Ketchikan is Wild Wolf Tours. The walk in the forest was wonderful and there weren't any other people on the trail which was great. The tour of Totem Bight was interesting, the tour guide tells stories about the totem poles that really gave them meaning. The guide is from Ketchikan so it felt like you really get authentic tour. It was nice after the walk to have cold bottle of water and the salmon spread was tasty.