Malta DIY? Taxi to Blue Grotto?

I'm visiting Valletta in July 2016 (1st time!). Instead of a cruise excursion, I was hoping to save $ & try and beat the crowd by taxi. Can someone please advise approximate cost of a cab from the cruise port to Blue Grotto or anyone with whom to book in advance? Any tips are appreciated.

I can't advise on cost as we took busses everywhere and were there for a week.

But, the Blue Grotto won't take long to see, so I would also advise going to the temple ruins of Hagar Qim are just about a mile down the road from the Blue Grotto area and are very interesting to see. A UNSECO world heritage site I would recommend visiting.

ALSO another very interesting place to see are the Hypogeum which you will need to book tickets for about 3 months in advance as there is a daily capacity and it sells out quickly.

Great advice! THANKS. I just learned the Hypogeum will be closed to the public at the time of my visit, but it was worth a shot. I will plan to stop at Hagar Qim. Did you walk between the Blue Grotto and Hagar Qim? Or was there a public bus?

Great advice! THANKS. I just learned the Hypogeum will be closed to the public at the time of my visit, but it was worth a shot. I will plan to stop at Hagar Qim. Did you walk between the Blue Grotto and Hagar Qim? Or was there a public bus?

We walked so it couldn't have been more than a mile or I would not have done it. There is a bus stop between the two, be advised that the bus stop for the Blue Grotto is actually UP at the top of the hill and you have to walk down the winding road down to the place where the little boats are anchored at the inlet.

Bus fares are pretty reasonable and you'd probably pay about 2 Euro from Valetta to the Blue Grotto and perhaps 1 Euro from there to Hagar Qim. Please don't quote me on this because I was there about 4 years ago.

• 1 year later...
Where exactly is the bus stop with regards to the cruise port that will take one to the blue grotto?

What number bus is it?

Thank in advance.

Here is the Malta transport map: https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/route-map

The main bus depot is above the port, you have to walk to the main gate of Valetta the busses are just outside. There is also an information trailer you can ask which bus goes where, its really easy to use.

From the map it looks like you need the #74 bus to the Blue Grotto. Be sure you check the return bus schedule when you get off the bus as this bus doesn't run all the time.

Here is the Malta transport map: https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/route-map

The main bus depot is above the port, you have to walk to the main gate of Valetta the busses are just outside. There is also an information trailer you can ask which bus goes where, its really easy to use.

From the map it looks like you need the #74 bus to the Blue Grotto. Be sure you check the return bus schedule when you get off the bus as this bus doesn't run all the time.

Thank you for the info. Does anyone know how much it costs to take a taxi from the port to the Blue Grotto?

• 1 month later...
Check this weblink. It will give you info about buses and taxi prices. Nice overview and helpful information.

https://cruisecrocodile.com/cruise-port-information/valletta/

Thank you for this link. We are in Valletta for an overnight and wanted to see Mdina and it's great to see options beyond the Celebrity large bus tour.

Thank you for this link. We are in Valletta for an overnight and wanted to see Mdina and it's great to see options beyond the Celebrity large bus tour.

If you are planning to use the public transport in Malta, please be aware that in the summer the buses are likely to be very full with tourists as well as locals, so you may not be able to get on the first bus that comes along, or may have to stand. Also some of the driving can be very - idiosyncratic - shall we say. :D

It's a while since we were there, and maybe they have upgraded the buses, but the majority were very old, in various degrees of maintenance and not air conditioned. We didn't mind, for us it was all part of the experience, and some of the drivers obviously take great pride in their vehicles and decorate them, but I know some people expect the same standards they find at home.

If you are planning to use the public transport in Malta, please be aware that in the summer the buses are likely to be very full with tourists as well as locals, so you may not be able to get on the first bus that comes along, or may have to stand. Also some of the driving can be very - idiosyncratic - shall we say. :D

It's a while since we were there, and maybe they have upgraded the buses, but the majority were very old, in various degrees of maintenance and not air conditioned. We didn't mind, for us it was all part of the experience, and some of the drivers obviously take great pride in their vehicles and decorate them, but I know some people expect the same standards they find at home.

Thanks, if the bus trip to Mdina is horrible, we'll return in a taxi.

I just used the bus from Valletta to Mdina in April -- it is fine; just like any other bus in Europe. Crowded, yes but so are the buses in Rome, Athens, etc.

Well, if it's an hour ride, then getting seats is important. The last bus I took in Europe was Monaco to Nice and that wasn't bad at all.