Nassau and Freeport with no excursions?

dl621

Hello!

My GF and I are looking to go a little more economical this cruise and pass on paid excursions in ports which are Nassau and Freeport. Can anyone make recommendations on what we could do in these ports? We would love to go to the beach in at least one of them. As a note, we are not opposed to spending money, just not in the realm of $70-$80 PP!

Thanks!

Hello!

My GF and I are looking to go a little more economical this cruise and pass on paid excursions in ports which are Nassau and Freeport. Can anyone make recommendations on what we could do in these ports? We would love to go to the beach in at least one of them. As a note, we are not opposed to spending money, just not in the realm of $70-$80 PP!

Thanks!

Freeport is tough, the port area is very industrial and while they have added some shopping and bars it is not really walk able to anything. You would need a cab, but they are not to bad.

Nassua, on the other hand has lots to do for free or close too it. There are great self guided walking tours you can find with google for free, you can walk to Junkanoo beach, which is about 15 minutes from the port ( decent pace). It is a free beach, with vendors for food, and such. Not the nicest you will find, but very economical. For $60 per person you can go to the Hilton and get a food/bar credit for $45 each per person. They have a nicer beach, and pool and it is a little bit less crowded.

The last two times we have been in Nassua I have just gone to Pirate Republic Brewery http://www.piraterepublicbahamas.com/ very short walk from the cruise pier. Great beer and fun place to hang out.

In Nassau if you turn right of the ship and walk about 15 minutes you will find Junkanoo beach. Lots of food, music and fun. Or walk further down the beach if you want more quiet.

In Freeport you can walk around the port but its not very interesting. Take a taxi to Port Lucayan for $10 pp round trip. There's a huge marketplace with restaurants. If you cross the road and walk about a block to the right you will find the police station. Beside the police station there is path leading to a very nice beach. If they try and tell you the beach is closed, don't believe them. It just has a little debris from the hurricane.

When we were in Nassau a couple of years ago, we did day passes to Melia, which were around $40. Took the bus there for $1.25pp. If you go, save your food and drink money and walk across the street to the Daq Shack. Learned of this place from these boards and it was the best tip ever. Very reasonable drinks and food.

Freeport is a hard one, nothing to do and nowhere to walk from the port, you would have to take a taxi to a beach. Nassau on the other hand, I like, some people don't but I've always found things to do there. They have several historic sites, a fort, the Queens stairs and all walkable from the dock. There is a cool pirate museum and of course the straw market, not my fav but something you have to experience once. Atlantis is there but very expensive.

Freeport is the best port for staying on the ship. You can actually get loungers around the Lido pool or, even better, on the Serenity deck. You can have some fun playing mini golf or riding the water rides. The dining venues are mostly empty, so no long waits for food. I've been to Freeport twice and never gotten off the ship.

We will be in both ports next week with a new cruiser and new to Bahamas. All she really wants to do is go to beaches as inexpensively as possible. We both walk quite a bit and would enjoy walking to nearby beaches and other attractions. Any suggestions especially for Freeport?

We will be in both ports next week with a new cruiser and new to Bahamas. All she really wants to do is go to beaches as inexpensively as possible. We both walk quite a bit and would enjoy walking to nearby beaches and other attractions. Any suggestions especially for Freeport?
All you need to do is do a search on this very section of the roll call. Since the Freeport docking area is located in an industrial area, there is not too much right at the port except for some shops and a Senor Frogs that were recently added. Below is a link to a relatively inexpensive beach. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52461924&postcount=13

This link is about Nassau: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2472867

Grand Bahama Island is gorgeous, but you have to leave the port area within Freeport to truly experience the beauty of the island. Car rentals are available near the pier and by the airport.

The island has many national parks, one of the nicest is Lucayan National Park. One of the longest underwater cave systems can be found there; truly interesting. Gold Rock Beach is very pristine and void of many tourists.

West End is the capital on the westernmost part of the island, where there is a lovely marina and restaurant, which is great to watch the sunset.

West End is the capital on the westernmost part of the island, where there is a lovely marina and restaurant, which is great to watch the sunset.

While you're enjoying the sunset at the marina, make sure you have your passport since you'll need it to get home since the ship would have left at 500 or 600 pm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Since when does any cruise line do an overnight stay in Freeport?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

OK, not necessarily an overnight per se, but on Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line, you can sail from WPB over to GBI, stay a few days on the island at a resort, and then take the ship back another day of the week. The ship does not overnight, but you have the option to book a one-way return another day of the week. One can also take the Balearia from Fort Lauderdale and do the same thing. If one wants to take a land vacation on the island, these are also suggestions as well. Just giving some options on what to do on the island.

OK, not necessarily an overnight per se, but on Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line, you can sail from WPB over to GBI, stay a few days on the island at a resort, and then take the ship back another day of the week. The ship does not overnight, but you have the option to book a one-way return another day of the week. One can also take the Balearia from Fort Lauderdale and do the same thing. If one wants to take a land vacation on the island, these are also suggestions as well. Just giving some options on what to do on the island.
"Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line" small operator using the old Carnival Celebration....none of the mainstream "real" cruise lines overnight in Freeport, and obviously neither do any of the niche lines.

"Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line" small operator using the old Carnival Celebration....none of the mainstream "real" cruise lines overnight in Freeport, and obviously neither do any of the niche lines.

Obviously. Yes, you're right. Better now?