Ensenada, Mexico

kentuckychris

Last stop of our Hawaiian cruise that leaves next week. Are there vendors at the pier? Either want to see the blow hole or do a wine tour. Anyone been here lately? About how much for tours?

Yes there are some outside the terminal. I don't know much you can trust them. Scamming tourist in Ensenada seems to be a local sport.

Last stop of our Hawaiian cruise that leaves next week. Are there vendors at the pier? Either want to see the blow hole or do a wine tour. Anyone been here lately? About how much for tours?

If you are considering a wine tour, we have done both the Princess wine tour and toured with Baja Test Kitchen. The wineries with BTK far exceed the experience with Princess. And you get a gourmet lunch. It will cost a little more but it is well worth it. I just reviewed our day with BTK from our Hawaii and back cruise on the other thread.

Doug

Either want to see the blow hole or do a wine tour. Anyone been here lately?

"blow hole" is a bit of a misnomer. It's not really a hole, it's more like a crevice that ocean waves crash against and up. Don't get me wrong, it's a good excursion but I was expecting a "blow hole" too and what I got, while good, wasn't quite what I expected...

[YOUTUBE]buxV_lcV_JI[/YOUTUBE]

Cow man is right. Highlights of this excursion is you'll get to go through the Main Street of Ensenada, you'll pass by a popular part of Ensenada that most Americans who retire in Ensenada settle at, the bus will stop and on your way down (path slopes down) to the la bufadora there's a flea market where you can buy lots of souvenirs (bring your haggling skills) and then you get to there blow hole. It is a great excursion but you'll see a cliff and you'll see waves crashing against the cliff that the waves go way up

In the air and a salty mist goes over you but you won't see an actual blow hole (unless my ex wife is there). You'll have to make your way back to the entrance through the flea market again, but what was nice about my experience was, when we made it back to the entrance and waited for the time to get back on the bus, There was a taco vendor and a bar. I got to buy my very first carne asada taco and a fish taco and sat down in a seating area with some fresh salsa (made right there) and a cold corona. Lit up a fake Cuban cigar (bought at the flea market for 3 bucks) and for the few moments before we got back on the bus, life was good. I got to buy two more coronas and took it with me on the bus (no rules against this) and life was still good for the duration of the bus ride.

Now this excursion specifically ended at a wine bottling place but it was in downtown Ensenada not out in the vineyards. The Merlot was awfully close to what I've tasted in Napa valley, but for 8 bucks a bottle I'll settle for awfully close. They had cheese and crackers to taste with. On display they've got huge oak barrels big enough to stand on when upright.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't really want to do any of the tours. Are there cabs that can take you into town to shop? We just want to shop and maybe have lunch there.

You can walk to shopping. I like going to Tacos Del Sol to eat - margharita and pulled pork nachos is like $8

Was in Ensenada on Saturday.

The Malecon is finished. They've added a pedestrian bridge, kid's playground, skate park, dancing water fountain.

The Caracol Museum at the corner is finally finished after 10 years. We had a short port stop so we didn't check it out.

Took a large group to Birria de Guadalajara. An order of birria, totopos, tortillas, frijoles, cebollas, guacamole, couple of beers was more than enough food for DH and I. That and a 'plancha style' to go was US$20.50.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are there any good beaches to go hang out on in Ensenada? Or maybe a great bar/restaurant that is beachfront?

There is a beach but it's up north. There should be excursions you can purchase. I don't remember seeing an actual beach where the ship docks or anywhere near there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went back in December and they have a lovely new boardwalk by the port with free wifi and fountain shows now...

[YOUTUBE]GWjmRmyB7Ms[/YOUTUBE]

Nice! I'll be there next week; now I'm really looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone that has been to Ensenada recently please confirm that there will be taxis and/or tour guides when you get off the ship?

We are a group of 4 and I think we'd like to go see the "blow hole". I'm just not sure I want to spend the money that the cruise line is charging. :D