Mens formal on QE Question

Nickymmm

Hi all. I am after some advice.

We are booked to sail in October on Queen Elizabeth for 14 nights, this is a special cruise for our honeymoon. We will be married just one week before!

My fiancé is a tetraplegic (I think you call this quadriplegic in the USA) and is in a wheelchair. We are booked in a PG suite and are really looking forward to this trip.

He is having a dinner suit (tuxedo) tailor made for our wedding and also an evening style waistcoat. He will also be bringing smart suit trousers, shirts, ties etc.

Is it acceptable to dress for dinner in only a shirt and tie, or in the case of formal nights, a dress shirt, bow tie and waistcoat? I ask because it is more difficult for him to manoeuvre himself in his wheelchair with a jacket!

We really do want to "dress" for evenings and I for one am very much looking forward to dressing up! But we don't wish to offend and want to ensure that he won't look out of place in a waistcoat with bow tie on some evenings where a full tux would be the dress code?

Hope you can advise, I really appreciate the help from experienced cruisers.

Thank you in advance.

On Queen Mary 2 I have seen a passenger in a wheelchair turned away from Britannia due to not wearing a jacket on a formal night. Ordinarily that passenger was eating in the buffet but due to a Norovirus outbreak the Captain had been advising passengers to eat in Britannia rather than the buffets.

I'd recommend a dark jacket which can be worn with a tie on formal nights or without a tie on informal nights.

On Queen Mary 2 I have seen a passenger in a wheelchair turned away from Britannia due to not wearing a jacket on a formal night. Ordinarily that passenger was eating in the buffet but due to a Norovirus outbreak the Captain had been advising passengers to eat in Britannia rather than the buffets.

I'd recommend a dark jacket which can be worn with a tie on formal nights or without a tie on informal nights.

Underwatr, what you witnessed seems to me to be quite Draconian, and downright unacceptable behavior on the part of whomever it was who turned that passenger away from the dining room.

While a jacket is normally required, exceptions can and should be made when mobility is an issue - especially when a passenger goes to great length to adapt to the dress code, as the OP is suggesting her bridegroom plans.

Congratulations in advance to the happy couple :)

Salacia

The 'waistcoat and a long sleeved shirt' with the bow tie will be perfectly acceptable .

I can assure you that in the situation you have shared with us, common sense will prevail from all crew members in all the venues on board. :)

The 'waistcoat and a long sleeved shirt' with the bow tie will be perfectly acceptable .

I can assure you that in the situation you have shared with us, common sense will prevail from all crew members in all the venues on board. :)

Hear, hear Bell Boy!

Nickymmm ... DW and I would welcome both of you to share our table were we fortunate enough to sail with you.

Congratulations! And, may you have many wonderful years together.:):)

Cheers!

On my last Cruise on the Q.E. last/Nov-Dec I became friendly with a Man that has the same condition he had no use of his lower body & had the use of 1 arm & hand & there were times when that caused him pain, But he did not stop him from enjoying the Cruise, He & his Partner had a Britannia Adapted cabin & he used a Electric Wheelchair every night he wore the same as everyone else, A jacket every night & on Formal nights a full Dinner Suit, But they did use the Lido Restaurant a lot at night as he found it easier for a Wheelchair user. Now if your future Husband uses a Manual Chair he will use a great more effort in getting around & the Arms of a Jacket could be a hindrance for him, So speak to the Maître D'hôtel about this & I am sure that common-sense will prevail, The Q.E is a very friendly Wheelchair user ship unlike the Q.M which is not.

Recently returned from wonderful QE cruise, the staff in the Britannia dining room were exceptional. I'm certain they will assist in any way necessary. Congratulations to you both and have an amazing time on my favourite ship ....:)

Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice. looking forward to our trip and the formal nights too!

I wish October would hurry up!!! Can't wait to cruise :):)

A couple of tips for you on the layout of the ship Tip 1 to get to the Princess you Grill have to use the Lifts in the middle of the ship to go to deck 11 imagine that you are outside the lifts facing the Stern then the lift you want on your right hand side will be the one closes to the stern & on your hand side left side the same applies, Tip 2 to get out on to the Promenade deck(deck 3 starboard) there is a push button Eclectic door down by stairway C & another on deck 10 Starboard side by the Children's area , Tip 3 getting into the Theatre the best way for you is to go in on deck 1 but by the corridors on either side, The end seats on the 1st 3 rows of seats at the front are for the partners of wheelchair users. Edited by zider

Congratulations on your wedding, what a wonderful choice for your honeymoon.

I'm sure some sensible compromise can be reached which complies with the spirit of the dress code and still allows your new husband to be comfortable. I would have a chat with the PG Maitre D' at lunch on embarkation day.

Have a great time and please let us know what happens.

I would just like to echo what most other posts say, that making some effort to look smart should be sufficient and I am sure the Maitre d' will be sensitive to your new husband's restrictions.

I hope you have a fabulous wedding and honeymoon, and then a wonderful life together.

Hope you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.

Having just come back from QV (which is the same layout as QE), I did notice that passengers in wheelchairs did seem to get excellent care & attention in the Britannia & Lido, so hopefully it will be the same all over the Cunard fleet.

One thing to note - at the back of the Royal Court theatre there are a number spaces for wheelchairs with a seat next to each one for a partner,friend etc.