Visa for india

Hi, when we get our Indian visas we put down the hotel address and travel agent we booked with, last time we was on a cruise we called in Mumbai and Cochin and we just put the name of the ship and who we booked the cruise withbefore you get in Indian waters the Indian visas people board the ship and you have to present yourself in front of them with your visa.

Anyone able to give us some guidance on this? Only mentions airports as point of entry, and asks for Indian references! Really appreciate any guidance, many thanks

I suggest you use one of the visa services (you can google them,) and send them your ship's itinerary. They can answer all of your questions.

Scott & Karen

Empathize with you about this visa. It was the most stressful part of planning my World Voyage. Here is a link to a site that has some suggestions to help you.

http://goasia.about.com/od/visaforindia/a/Indian-Visa-Application-Form.htm

For your reference in India, call your cruise line and find their agent's name and address in India.

You can call Visa Central and ask them questions about the application (even if you are not using them). I called three or four times for help.

India very recently made some changes to their Visa policy. They will now allow some people to obtain a visa at their entry point into the country. Not certain if this applies to US citizens. It is worth checking since this may preclude the need for a visa service. It would be similar to Turkey where you pay on entry and what you pay depends on your nationality.

India's Visa process actually stopped us from visiting the country last winter. We were in Asia and considering a last minute cruise from Singapore to Dubai Gina India. It would have been impossible for us to get the Visas in time and we were extrmely reluctant to mail or courier our passports because we were visiting othe countries as well.

I would either start with the cruise line or a visa service.

Don't rely on information on this board.

By the way it is not clear what country you are from and India changes often and if you are from the USA the from even varies somewhat depending on what state you reside.

Keith

Anyone able to give us some guidance on this? Only mentions airports as point of entry, and asks for Indian references! Really appreciate any guidance, many thanks

There are 2 types of Indian visas for most USA tourists. E visa - which is only good if you arrive by air and you must apply at least 4 days in advance but no more than 30 days. This visa is good for a 30 day visit. No need to mail in passport.

The regular visa is required for arrival by sea. This is good for ten years but you must mail in passport. Apply no more than 6 months prior to arrival.

For Indian reference use the name of your hotel or ship. If you don't see seaports listed, you are probably on the EVisa application. The regular visa application doesn't use drop down menus.

Cox and Kings is the Visa servicing agent for all Indian visas. If you use a different service they will help you with the application and the send your passport to cox and kings for you. You can save some money by going to cox and kings directly.

If you review the visa services websites they have some explanations for the questions. You can call cox and kings. Look on their website for the office near the Indian consulate in your area.

The process is a little confusing, so the hand holding of a visa service may be worth it, but you can probably figure it out yourself.

For example, you first go to the Indian government website to fill out your application. The you go to cox and king to prepare the application package. This requires you to complete the document check list and an additional particulars form which may be different for each Indian consulate in the USA. I spent 4 hours reading and researching everything. It is not a user friendly process, but not impossible either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

There are 2 types of Indian visas for most USA tourists. E visa - which is only good if you arrive by air and you must apply at least 4 days in advance but no more than 30 days. This visa is good for a 30 day visit. No need to mail in passport.

The regular visa is required for arrival by sea. This is good for ten years but you must mail in passport. Apply no more than 6 months prior to arrival.

For Indian reference use the name of your hotel or ship. If you don't see seaports listed, you are probably on the EVisa application. The regular visa application doesn't use drop down menus.

Cox and Kings is the Visa servicing agent for all Indian visas. If you use a different service they will help you with the application and the send your passport to cox and kings for you. You can save some money by going to cox and kings directly.

If you review the visa services websites they have some explanations for the questions. You can call cox and kings. Look on their website for the office near the Indian consulate in your area.

The process is a little confusing, so the hand holding of a visa service may be worth it, but you can probably figure it out yourself.

For example, you first go to the Indian government website to fill out your application. The you go to cox and king to prepare the application package. This requires you to complete the document check list and an additional particulars form which may be different for each Indian consulate in the USA. I spent 4 hours reading and researching everything. It is not a user friendly process, but not impossible either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of the above assumes the OP is from the USA. If they're from elsewhere, then the process and Visa company are different. If they're from the UK then they will need to use http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/

OP...If you are from the UK, I've recently applied and recd my Indian Visa for a cruise this October. In the end it turned out to be painless and quick. Got it back in 4 days after dropping it in at the nearest office to us in Cardiff. If you need any help post back here, I've still got filled copies of the forms you need to complete.