Handicap parking @ MIA & FLL

Boozebabe

If anyone is interested, or maybe you already knew, that handicap parking can be FREE at these ports. Of course you need a HC sticker or window sign. But if you have a lift on your car for a wheelchair or scooter the parking is FREE. You need to ask for the waiver when you pay at the exit. This Florida law and it looks like it pertains to all public parking. At least it is at Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Cape Canaveral ports. Thats a HUGE savings. Parking for a 7 nt or longer cruise would be about $120. otherwise.

A recently revived thread on the Ask A Cruise Question board has quite a spirited discussion on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242748

And just to be clear about the law in Florida: the state statute requiring municipal and county parking lots to waive long-term parking fees for anyone who simply shows a blue placard was revoked a few years ago, sadly due to the amount of fraudulent use. But the ports mentioned will not charge you if your vehicle has a lift or similar modifications; in Miami that is per local ordinance.

Edited by fishywood

• 2 weeks later...
Port of miami--DH has lightweight scooter--where should we park??

Not sure. I would call them. I think a vehicle needs to be modified. I have a lift on the back of mine. You also need the disability hang tag for your window. Our last cruise I was still using a wheelchair. Hubby dropped me off and parked across from the ship. It's convenient but it isn't cheap. Call them and ask if she qualifies for free parking. It would also be beneficial to read the specifics of the parking arrangements to be sure.

I don't think we'd qualify. The scooter will be in parts in the car and we'll put it together there. He is not really disabled, except that he can't walk far.

I appreciate your reply. I think we will do the same -- I'll let him off and then go park and meet up in the terminal. I know it's not cheap but we're trying to do this as stress-free as possible. Thanks again!

I don't think we'd qualify. The scooter will be in parts in the car and we'll put it together there. He is not really disabled, except that he can't walk far.

I appreciate your reply. I think we will do the same -- I'll let him off and then go park and meet up in the terminal. I know it's not cheap but we're trying to do this as stress-free as possible. Thanks again!

And thats what we will do next cruise. Its so much easier to drop me and let me sit with the luggage while he parks the car. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend the $$$ for the convenience. But think about it. At least you two will still be able to cruise. BTW I can't walk long distances either. And those ships are over 1000 ft long. Thats 1/5 of a mile.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if a lift needs to be permanently installed on a car to meet the parking exemption? We have a portable lift for my husband that we use both for the car and in the house. It is not actually installed on the car but my husband cannot get into the car without it.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise the week of 2/20. I have a lift permanently installed on the back of my car for my scooter. Hubby dropped me, scooter and luggage at the curb and porters took our bags. He proceeded to the parking lot across the street from the ships in Miami. It was only about 300 feet away. When we got off the ship he walked across the street and proceeded to the payment booth and gave them the ticket and told them it was handicap parking. They filled out some paperwork, took my HC tag # etc and sent him on his way. NO CHARGE. It saved $140.00

You need a HC tag AND a device of some king. NOT just the HC tag.

Port Canaveral also has free parking at the port for vehicles with wheelchair ramps or lifts or hand controls.

I read that its a Florida law.

BTW we must be neighbors. I am from Milford, OH. I see you are also SW Ohio.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted someone at the Port Canaveral parking facility. She told me if we have the Florida toll exemption permit on the car (which we have) there will no charge for parking. I do not need to prove that we have any lifts or driving assists on the car. She suggested dropping passengers and luggage at the pier and then parking. I need to check if it works the same for Miami.

• 3 weeks later...
We just returned from our cruise the week of 2/20. I have a lift permanently installed on the back of my car for my scooter. Hubby dropped me, scooter and luggage at the curb and porters took our bags. He proceeded to the parking lot across the street from the ships in Miami. It was only about 300 feet away. When we got off the ship he walked across the street and proceeded to the payment booth and gave them the ticket and told them it was handicap parking. They filled out some paperwork, took my HC tag # etc and sent him on his way. NO CHARGE. It saved $140.00

You need a HC tag AND a device of some king. NOT just the HC tag.

If I understand you correctly, after the cruise you get the form, go to your car, then when you exit you present them the form.

I wondered what to do. I thought we had to get the form before parking. I didn't want to hold up traffic. Is this correct?

We have the carrier with the swing arm bar to access the back of the SUV to load/unload the luggage before putting the scooter onto the carrier.

My husband just suggested that after dropping me off with the scooter and luggage, he'll pick up the form on the way to meet me at the ship's port. Thought that was a good idea. Is this feasible?

Edited by iuki
Added info

We did not need to fill in any paperwork at Port Everglades. When entering the parking lot we asked an attendant and he said to ask when we were on our way out. DH just gave his name and phone number. The attendant looked at my handicap parking pass and looked in the vehicle to see the lift for my scooter. No problem at all.

Dar

If I understand you correctly, after the cruise you get the form, go to your car, then when you exit you present them the form.

I wondered what to do. I thought we had to get the form before parking. I didn't want to hold up traffic. Is this correct?

We have the carrier with the swing arm bar to access the back of the SUV to load/unload the luggage before putting the scooter onto the carrier.

My husband just suggested that after dropping me off with the scooter and luggage, he'll pick up the form on the way to meet me at the ship's port. Thought that was a good idea. Is this feasible?

I know exactly the swing arm lift you have. We have a regular car so we just have the lift. Aren't they a life saver. It has given me freedon to go out by myself.

You do not take paperwork to the parking lot. My husband just went to the car and drove to the payment booth and told them he had a lift and it was for HC parking. They had the paperwork at the booth. The only problem was the people waiting behind him got very impatient waiting for the parking attendent to fill out the paper work. Thats all there was to it. Then he drove around to where I was waiting with the luggage. Actually where he parked was in the lot and not in the garage. I could have ridden my scooter across the street and we could have put everything in the car at the lot. Next time I'll know. At Miami it depends on which terminal you use. One has a garage across the street and the other has just a parking lot. When we sailed on the Breeze we used the garage. For the Glory we used the lot. Hope this helps.

Edited by Boozebabe

Yes, the swing bar and carrier certainly makes it easy to load & unload the scooter. My DH has only one arm and I always hurt my back helping him lift the scooter, so this is wonderful.

If my DH picked up the form before the cruise, I could fill it up while on the ship, making for a faster exit so as not to backup the exit line.

[/size]

Yes, the swing bar and carrier certainly makes it easy to load & unload the scooter. My DH has only one arm and I always hurt my back helping him lift the scooter, so this is wonderful.

If my DH picked up the form before the cruise, I could fill it up while on the ship, making for a faster exit so as not to backup the exit line.

[/size]

I'm pretty sure that the parking attendant has to do it. It doesn't take that long but it does take longer than just pulling up and paying. Don't stress over it.