Viking excursions-help with slow group vs fast group?

LYNNF

Can anyone give examples of slow group versus fast group on shore excursions? I had a knee replacement one month ago, doing Viking cruise in 4 months. I don't know where I will be with walking ability by that time and certainly wouldn't want to hold people up. Do you need to be able to walk 1 mile, 2 miles, etc? This is very confusing. Appreciate any help.

On our Grand European in 2014... the slow group for the most part was just that SLOW but they covered the same areas. Less time to stop and gaze and free time at the end of the tour but still had to do stairs etc. Cobblestone streets were the most worrisome for mobility issues.

On one excursion a group of "slow walkers" were bused all the way to the entrance of an especially difficult climb to a castle.

The tour director will be able to let you know if the day's excursion is very difficult and in that case you might stay on the ship or only do part of the tour.

My guess your if rehab successful you will have no problems!!!

The tour guide for the excursion should be able to tell you exactly how long the trek is (if the cruise director can't). I love to take photos and wouldn't mind going with the "leisurely" group just to have more time to poke around and then catch up. That's what I loved about the headset system. I could be a block or two behind and still hear what was being said.

...That's what I loved about the headset system. I could be a block or two behind and still hear what was being said.
The fun part is when you suddenly get in range of another group on the same channel, and you are now hearing German or Russian!:D Then the scramble to figure out where is my group?:eek: Another "interesting" aspect of headsets is being in the W.C. and your guide of the opposite gender is suddenly talking in your ear!

To be clear, I do like the headsets even with the occasional moments of panic.

Thom

Uneven surfaces (i.e. cobblestones) are probably going to be your biggest obstacle. Unfortunately, Europe is full of them, and they're big.

Roz

Uneven surfaces (i.e. cobblestones) are probably going to be your biggest obstacle. Unfortunately, Europe is full of them, and they're big.

Roz

Truth here!!!!! Cobblestones!!!!!!

WE did a Viking Budapest to Nuremberg right about this time last year while I was debating the need for a hip replacement ... Dr had told me the only fix WAS a replacement ...my mobility was limited. I decided to do the cruise b4 surgery just in case there was a problem ....

I was able to stay with the "fast" group which wasn't FAST at all ... they walked at a "normal" pace and even tho I needed to stop frequently ... that's exactly what the group did. I only saw a 'slow group' actually form up one day ... and decided to just set off on their own with the meeting time and place in hand for the ride back to the boat [Vienna]. At almost 60 we were nearly the kids on our cruise and our walking pace was easily enuf ... pre-problem and pre-surgery I'd walk 90 minutes a day for exercise ... but in Fl so NO HILLS!

I'm now at my 3 month post surgery place and I'm pretty sure I could handle the walking at the pace we experienced BUT would be more concerned about the uneven surfaces. A partial TRIP and trying to catch myself is an area I'm not confident with yet. Tripped in the yard the other day and that was NOT fun.

a) a hip is different from a knee

b) EVERYone is different

BTW ... on every one of our Viking "included" excursions, as soon as we arrived by bus to the walking tour 'starting point' they told us where the bus would be and and what time for our return to the boat. If you wanted to do your own thing that was 100% OK ... just be on the bus for the free ride back .... or get back on your own b4 the boat leaves......

As I recall EVERY walking tour left us with at LEAST 90 minutes of our own wander time, often more.

Edited by Capt_BJ