New York to Montreal September 2016

swansong

Hi Pam,

I had an idea you were also Scottish. I remember you saw the Voyager in Greenock I think, as you posted that prior to your recent cruise.

We were on Mariner in June in the Mediterranean.

I think you would really enjoy this Montreal to Miami cruise. It's very relaxing and the scenery will be appreciated by you for sure.

We really enjoy going to Canada and America. We have seen more of Canada and that cruise would be a good introduction for you. It's lovely planning ahead for next year, and we need to book well in advance due to work commitments. Jean.

Hi Jean, thanks for the reply,

Oh well we missed you by a month on the Mariner then as we were on the Med one in May.

Good to know that this would be a good introduction for Canada and America.

Big year with birthdays and weddings so would like to have something sorted in advance. Will keep my eye on the pricing and have been looking into the "other" TA which does seem to offer a much better rate than Regent itself.

Thanks again.

Pam.

Hi Jean, thanks for the reply,

Oh well we missed you by a month on the Mariner then as we were on the Med one in May.

Good to know that this would be a good introduction for Canada and America.

Big year with birthdays and weddings so would like to have something sorted in advance. Will keep my eye on the pricing and have been looking into the "other" TA which does seem to offer a much better rate than Regent itself.

Thanks again.

Pam.

Hi Pam , yes that's a pity we missed each other on the Mariner. Glad you have a TA now who will help with discounts and travel arrangements.

Good luck with the choosing for next year, and hope you get a great deal. It's nice to have something to look forward to, Jean.

Hey, Tc. Not to worry: Grammar police n'est pas moi. Bill asked, so the old "teach" in me kicked in: I adored my decades in the classroom and still sometimes can't resist telling it like it is-- but only if someone happens to ask. (Though I suspect that Bill's question was more rhetorical than serious.) The GREAT thing is your wonderful generosity in responding to so many and such a variety of queries from posters. I think I've mentioned in the past that it was you and Rachel and Wendy and Wes who turned me on to Regent in the first place-- all your kindness and responsiveness. And many others along the way have confirmed how valuable this site is and how forthcoming Regent cruisers are. Thanks to everyone for that generosity. (I'm afraid that I do more asking questions than responding to them, though I try to contribute to the latter if I feel I might help the cause. I used to write quite full trip reports, but I found that most readers were less interested in hearing about excursions-- our main focus-- than about the ship and its various activities and such, which others can do a much better job on than I can.)

I've been looking at the Canada-New England cruises mainly because traveling far is becoming increasingly difficult and disorienting for my husband. (I'm not in love with it either, i.e. the flying part.) I know all the N.Y. up through Maine ports well, but we haven't been up that way for years, and it'd be pleasant to visit again. I know some of the Canada ports also, from several land visits-- but, again, that's been quite a few decades ago. Starting from Sept 21 this year, Mariner goes back and forth between N.Y. and Montreal-- and does the same ports in each direction. (I'd love if they switched out at least some of the ports-- so many excellent ones to choose from-- so that we might do a b2b and avoid even the haul up to Montreal by air. I think you know that we live now in FL-- along with a lot of other geezers.)

Then, on October 21 (I believe that's correct, anyway around that time), Mariner does its repositioning cruise from Montreal to Miami. I'm not wild about the ports that are included after N.Y. (I know them well), but it sure would be dandy to be able to avoid at least one flight. One thing that I do like about the Montreal-Miami itinerary is that Bay of Fundy is included, and I remember thinking that was a real cool place when I was there many moons ago.

(If we do the New England/Canada cruise, we'd not be able to do the Alaska cruise as well. I'm still back-and-forthing.)

Edited by poss

Hi Pam , yes that's a pity we missed each other on the Mariner. Glad you have a TA now who will help with discounts and travel arrangements.

Good luck with the choosing for next year, and hope you get a great deal. It's nice to have something to look forward to, Jean.

Ha, i know, looking forward to it...well not really the searching so much..ha ha!

I have a question, do you know of any easy way to send a private message on here? It seems quite difficult.

Pam.

poss: You are very kind. Most of the posters on CC are great and it is our pleasure to try and help out as much as we can. Even I still have questions that other posters have helped me with.

Okay - just looked at both itineraries and I would definitely take the October 21st cruise that ends in Miami. This way you only fly to Montreal and when you disembark from the Mariner, you'll just about be home. The New York to Montreal itinerary does have a couple more Canadian ports but the Montreal to Miami has an overnight in NYC. While I'm not sure how you feel about NYC, we would love the opportunity to walk around and eat at some of the most fabulous restaurants in the U.S. (when we travel we like to dine in local eateries so in NYC it's the Italian section and a deli -- it makes my mouth water to think about it). Montreal is also a food lovers paradise (IMO).

If we lived on the East Coast, we'd do cruise that ends in Miami. For us, Alaska is local (BTW, we have cancelled our Alaska cruise due to an unexpected conflict). Let us know what you decide.

On a side note, I am wondering about the question comparing the U.S. to Canada. IMO, that is like asking which is better - Scotland or Ireland (both great but different in many ways). As you know, we live21 or 22 miles from Canada and we always fly out of Vancouver. We love Canada but do find their prices unbelievably high (even with the U.S. dollar being favorable). Both countries have a lot to offer and it would take weeks/months to really tour either country thoroughly.

Ha, i know, looking forward to it...well not really the searching so much..ha ha!

I have a question, do you know of any easy way to send a private message on here? It seems quite difficult.

Pam.

Pam I am totally basic with IT and this kind of field, but I am sure someone may be able to chime in and advise? Hopefully someone can help, Jean.

... While I'm not sure how you feel about NYC, we would love the opportunity to walk around and eat at some of the most fabulous restaurants in the U.S. (when we travel we like to dine in local eateries so in NYC it's the Italian section and a deli -- it makes my mouth water to think about it). ....

OFF TRACK ALERT: Funny you should mention NYC and delis. My mom is returning home today from a whirlwind trip to Orlando, PR, and NJ and is bringing a whole piece of pastrami from Katz deli located in the lower east side of NYC. It is a slice of my youth since we lived a couple of blocks from Katz. I hope that she is also bringing some mustard and TCA does not confiscate it.

Poss: I went to school in Charleston and absolutely love it although I did not appreciate it as a student.

We were supposed to be onboard this week's Navigator cruise from Montreal to Miami but had to cancel. However, the itinerary is very appealing to us and it remains high on our Cruises To Do list.

Z and TB

Sorry you had to cancel, Z and TB. Perhaps you'll be able to do that itinerary next year (though it's Jacksonville instead of Charleston, sigh. I suspect that Mariner may be too large for the port of Charleston? And I know, btw, that much of the city is strongly against the whole cruise ship thing anyway. Easy to see where those citizens are coming from, and it makes me sorta ashamed that I wish the itinerary included Charleston.)

As for NYC and delis: I will not debate Katz vs others (though I could) ;-)

I will also not debate the relative deliciousness of Philly cheesesteaks (though my creds are even better in that line).

Edited by poss

OFF TRACK ALERT: Funny you should mention NYC and delis. My mom is returning home today from a whirlwind trip to Orlando, PR, and NJ and is bringing a whole piece of pastrami from Katz deli located in the lower east side of NYC. It is a slice of my youth since we lived a couple of blocks from Katz. I hope that she is also bringing some mustard and TCA does not confiscate it.

Z and TB

It isn't nice to make me drool this early in the morning! We have absolutely no New York style delis here. The craving is so bad that we are going to L.A. in January so we can eat at a deli (well, that is 50% of the reason - also want to eat at our favorite English pub and visit friends and family). Hope the pastrami and mustard makes it there safely (your mom too:-)

Sorry that you had to cancel your cruise.

poss: I suspect that the itineraries that you are looking at may be more enticing to people that do not live on the east coast. If there were a cruise to ports on the west coast (San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego), I definitely would not be interested as we have seen enough of these places to last a lifetime. Choose the itinerary that you feel would work best for you and your DH (and don't wait too long or it will sell out).

Poss, thank you for your kind words. But now that you have revealed your English teacher background, I will really have to watch my grammar. I used to love diagraming sentences, but that was a very long time ago.

I agree about the ports on the New York to Miami portion of the Montreal to Miami cruise not being too exciting. But the Bay of Fundy would be interesting. Given that the drive from Miami to your home is as long as the flight from New York, I think it just depends on whether you want to do the longer cruise option.

Travelcat2, so sad you won't be with us on the Alaska cruise, but we will see you in 2017 Singapore to Hong Kong.

Edited by RachelG
additional info

Hi, Drib-- I remember you! I don't think I've seen your name on these boards for a while. (Or was there a "Dreb" who used to participate?) In either case, thanks for the correction about Charleston. What a place that is! It's fun that we can get to it so easily from where we live now. We fell in love with Charleston on our former back-and-forth snow birding between Chesapeake Bay and FL.) Near-by Kiawah Island is such a fine place as well.

I remember loving 2nd Ave Deli. Haven't been to N.Y. in a while, and here on the west coast of FL there's virtually no real deli.

Hi, Rachel-- I actually think I may have never diagrammed a sentence in my life: seems odd now. I taught "The Great Books" for three and a half happy decades. Still going strong in my bookclub, which we call "The Canon." (Sometimes a bit of disagreement among us about which books fit that label. We've so far done nothing past the 19th century-- mainly well before that-- but I'm pushing for a couple of the great 20th century novels.)

Meanwhile, we may still join you and team on that Alaska cruise. Btw, I wonder why no roll call.

All this is so far away from Swansong's intention that no doubt the post will be removed one of these days. It's been jolly fun.

Edited by poss

Pam and Jean: Sometimes a poster puts his/her email at the bottom of a post, presumably for others who might want to go into more detail than might be appropriate on CC, or ask particular questions that might not be relevant to the post itself. Of course that way you would be exposing your email address to all and sundry, but I suspect that virtually no one would abuse the trust. But one can't be certain, I suppose.

Tc: Of course, we'd love to be able to disembark in the state where we live (though, in fact, it would take us longer to drive home from the Miami airport to the west coast than to fly from N.Y.). Thing is, the ports from N.Y. on down just have no interest for us. Now if a couple of days in Charleston were included.... That's a place I can't ever imagine getting tired of visiting. I hope that you're doing something else wonderful during the period of the Alaska cruise. I imagine that the usual and regulars will miss you.

Hi poss, thanks for that, it's really not addressing the questing though...is it?

My question was why the pm's should be disabled. Unless there were people on this board that were worried that they are getting talked about behind their backs then there shouldn't really be an issue there.....should there?

I can totally understand the CC guidelines and maybe there is other talk in this regard but i don't get why it's disabled.( My opinion only)

Pam.

I don't know for sure why the PM feature was disabled, but I have my suspicions. I got some PM's from people I don't know at all from this board trying to sell things or get me to friend them on facebook--and they were people who never post here.

I don't know for sure why the PM feature was disabled, but I have my suspicions. I got some PM's from people I don't know at all from this board trying to sell things or get me to friend them on facebook--and they were people who never post here.

Hi Rachel, thanks for the reply.

That does sound suspicious indeed but surely it wouldn't go into your personal e-mail accounts?

Surely you could sort out the wheat from the chaff?

A respectable site like CC would have firewalls?......no?

Those type of things do happen which is one reason why I am happy that they were disabled. As I recall, if you read CC Guidelines (wish more people read them), it is suggested that you not use your email address in your posts. I believe that CC still blocks them if you try to use them in the text of your post but not in the signature. This is why some people try to beat the system by giving an email in "code" (i.e. sample at dot com -- or something like that). IMO, if someone wants to use an email address, they should sign up for a new account that is only used for CC - one where you can easily block incoming mail that you don't wish to read).

As you know, there are sites that permit PM's. Not sure if they have problems with it. I know that I could PM you on another site if I needed to which, IMO, is a good thing;)

Those type of things do happen which is one reason why I am happy that they were disabled. As I recall, if you read CC Guidelines (wish more people read them), it is suggested that you not use your email address in your posts. I believe that CC still blocks them if you try to use them in the text of your post but not in the signature. This is why some people try to beat the system by giving an email in "code" (i.e. sample at dot com -- or something like that). IMO, if someone wants to use an email address, they should sign up for a new account that is only used for CC - one where you can easily block incoming mail that you don't wish to read).

As you know, there are sites that permit PM's. Not sure if they have problems with it. I know that I could PM you on another site if I needed to which, IMO, is a good thing;)

Who put their e-mail address on here (not me) Maybe some others should also read the CC guidelines ?

FYI, Mariner has two itineraries stopping in Charleston next year; April 8 (with an overnight) and again September 19. On the Regent site, it indicates that the ship will be docked - no icon_anchor.png symbol - although maybe you're saying there is more than one docking facility?

Also, one vote for the 2nd Avenue Deli - although it's been a long time for me - and another vote for the Town Hall in South Orange, New Jersey, but just for their Sloppy Joe sandwiches..

A few years ago on Oceania Marina we docked in Charleston so there shouldn't be a problem with Mariner docking, as Marina is larger.