Berlin to Warnemunde

planning ahead for a July 2018 Baltic cruise from Warnemunde

we re flying into Berlin to spend a few days pre cruise to really explore rather than just a few hours on shore excursion

there are 4 of us so we thought would be easier to book a private transfer from city centre to cruise port rather than public transport

however a company we previously contacted seems to have gone off line

does anyone have any taxi recommendations?

companies such as SPB are more interested in providing tours rather than transfer at much higher price

The German train system, Deutsche Bahn, offers special cross-country tickets for groups up to 5 people for one low price. A quick look at their website shows that all 4 of you could travel from Berlin to Warnemuende for under 70 Euros. You probably couldn't rent a car or hire a private transport for that little amount of money. If you have never taken the train in Germany, it's easy and comfortable. (We used to live in Berlin and often traveled around by train.)

The German train system, Deutsche Bahn, offers special cross-country tickets for groups up to 5 people for one low price. A quick look at their website shows that all 4 of you could travel from Berlin to Warnemuende for under 70 Euros. You probably couldn't rent a car or hire a private transport for that little amount of money. If you have never taken the train in Germany, it's easy and comfortable. (We used to live in Berlin and often traveled around by train.)

Definitely the easiest way to go! I have lived in Germany for 10 years and travelled all over the country by train as I have never owned a car.

For details, timetables, fares etc. please see the Berlin page on my web site.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs com

Try to check prices for a rental car - Hertz does have drop-off close to the cruise terminal in Warnemüde.

Just make sure that the car is big enough for your luggage.

thanks for suggestion but last thing want to do on holiday is have the stress of driving out of a big city on the wrong side of the road lol

thank you

which is the main railway station in Berlin to travel to Warnemunde as may need taxi to get there from our hotel

Definitely the easiest way to go! I have lived in Germany for 10 years and travelled all over the country by train as I have never owned a car.

For details, timetables, fares etc. please see the Berlin page on my web site.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs com

wow just wow

what a fantastic resource

thank you

thank you

which is the main railway station in Berlin to travel to Warnemunde as may need taxi to get there from our hotel

Time tables for 2018 are not out yet. But usually the Regional trains to Rostock are routed through the railway tunnel and therefore calling at Berlin-Südkreuz, Berlin-Potsdamer Platz, Berlin Hauptbahnhof and Berlin-Gesundbrunnen.

Long-distance trains to Rostock call at Berlin-Südkreuz, Berlin-Hauptbahnhof and Berlin-Gesundbrunnen.

Time tables for 2018 are not out yet. But usually the Regional trains to Rostock are routed through the railway tunnel and therefore calling at Berlin-Südkreuz, Berlin-Potsdamer Platz, Berlin Hauptbahnhof and Berlin-Gesundbrunnen.

Long-distance trains to Rostock call at Berlin-Südkreuz, Berlin-Hauptbahnhof and Berlin-Gesundbrunnen.

thank you

we are looking at hotels in Alexanderplatz area

Time tables for 2018 are not out yet.

I realise that the 2018 timetables are not out yet. I will, as always, be revising and updating my web site as soon as they are available. The timetables normally change very little, if at all, but the fares, unfortunately, usually go up :rolleyes:

Happy planning:)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

I realise that the 2018 timetables are not out yet. I will, as always, be revising and updating my web site as soon as they are available. The timetables normally change very little, if at all, but the fares, unfortunately, usually go up :rolleyes:

Happy planning:)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

I have saved your website address and have shared it on my roll call

as said before thank you for a fantastic resource

thank you

we are looking at hotels in Alexanderplatz area

From there Berlin-Hauptbahnhof or Berlin-Gesundbrunnen will be closest. Both are 10 to 15 minutes cabride, which will set you back 15 Euro, give or take a minute/Euro depending on the exact location of the hotel.

From there Berlin-Hauptbahnhof or Berlin-Gesundbrunnen will be closest. Both are 10 to 15 minutes cabride, which will set you back 15 Euro, give or take a minute/Euro depending on the exact location of the hotel.

with 4 of us and luggage taxi probably easiest

we are thinking of Hotel Indigo on Alexanderplatz as have points for free nights

with my husband having walking difficulties and tries to avoid crowds which station would be less stressful?

which station would be less stressful?

That is Berlin-Gesundbrunnen. Almost direct access from the street to the tracks by escalators or elevator. Just figure out, which track you need.

Berlin-Hauptbahnhof is much more complicated and there are two levels to negotiate from street level to the platforms. Many first-users of that station complain getting lost (in fact, no zombies lost for years have been seen though). But in terms of less stressful it is clearly Gesundbrunnen.

• 5 months later...
Try to check prices for a rental car - Hertz does have drop-off close to the cruise terminal in Warnemüde.

Just make sure that the car is big enough for your luggage.

We are a group of 4 considering renting a car to drive from Berlin to Warnemunde (Rostock) also. Between the 4 us us there have been 2 back surgeries, shoulder surgery, a broken wrist with mental plates still in place, and 1 bypass surgery. Needless to say we are not in shape to haul luggage onto trains and from the train to the boarding area, which is why we would prefer a car.

I went on Hertz and saw their 'office' closes at 11am. I believe that is because they are open for people disembarking and picking up cars. Is there a way to drop off a car at the port if we don't arrive until about noon? Since we don't actually leave port until 9pm, we don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to drive out, and if we could miss some commuter traffic even better.

Non us us pack 'light' so I am guessing we'll go with a MBZ 8 person van and spread out a bit.

I was just looking at the Sixt website -- the Hertz website wasn't helpful at all. For Sixt their hours are 8-12 pm however they have a 24 drop off. From their website

You can return your vehicle around the clock by parking it at the WIRO lot across the street from the cruise terminal.

If you are set on booking with Hertz I would call them directly and ask about returning after hours.

Europcar at the Rostock terminal is open from 7-23:59 so they will also have later return.