Solo passengers

travelberlin

Hi everybody, after some years I am considering to book a cruise with Cunard. I have found some offers in the web page stating that offers do not apply for single occupancy. I was wondering if any of you has experience on sailing solo in the last three years on this cruiseline and can tell me a litle bit about the rates for solo cruisers.

Are there any solo discounts on Cunard? Is there any better time to book as a solo passenger? For example on crossings it is better to wait until a couple of months in the hope that prices reduce?

I have exclusively sailed solo. The single supplement is 75% for Britannia and Britannia Club accommodations and 100% for Grills staterooms.

Rarely is a reduced single supplement available unless the sailing is selling poorly. I have not heard of any this year.

Nobody here can tell you when to book because nobody can know when or if any discounts will be offered. It's entirely driven by supply and demand. We recently had somebody complain that he booked a year in advance and then the fare dropped a lot. But we also had somebody who waited for a last minute deal on a sailing earlier this month but the ship sold out.

It also depends on your personal situation. Are you retired or working and need to clear vacation time in advance? Do you have to fly to the embarkation port? If so last minute air fares can easily eat up any savings on the sailing.

They occasionally waive the single supplement. I was emailed such an offer back in May of this year but wasn't ready to commit. I have gotten very good pricing on Cunard as a solo by waiting to book late - typically just before final payment or just after. As mentioned pricing varies considerably by sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everybody, after some years I am considering to book a cruise with Cunard. I have found some offers in the web page stating that offers do not apply for single occupancy. I was wondering if any of you has experience on sailing solo in the last three years on this cruiseline and can tell me a litle bit about the rates for solo cruisers.

Are there any solo discounts on Cunard? Is there any better time to book as a solo passenger? For example on crossings it is better to wait until a couple of months in the hope that prices reduce?

Deals for solo travellers most certainly do exist but my experience has been best through a travel agent, even though I am sure it is Cunard offering the deal to them. The trouble is simply that there are no fixed rules (to my knowledge) and it is a matter of waiting to see if a suitable deal comes onto the market. I once got Queens Grill solo without any surcharge - I don't know why and it was just luck that it happened at a time I was prepared and able to book.

Otherwise as others have said it is 100% surcharge for Grills and 75% for Brittania.

Best of luck.

Be aware that it is very often far cheaper to book a standard Britannia grade two-berth (+) cabin as a single passenger and pay the single occupant supplement (+75%), rather than book a cabin designed for a single passenger.

On QM2 transatlantics, if you are able to book and sail with only a few weeks (or less) notice (esp on the winter crossings WB mid-December or EB early January), there have been amazing bargains in the past, and there could be again... maybe... possibly... (who knows? not me).

If you want summer crossings, or need to book many months in advance, then it is very unlikely that you'll be as lucky.

Whatever you decide, have the most wonderful time on board.

Hi,

Am curious to learn your experiences with online booking at Cunard, or via a travel agent. Just wondering what might be more advantageous, i.e. getting the best price :rolleyes:

Cheers,

V.

If you are booking a "package" with some flight(s) and/or hotel it is worth getting a TA to quote. I find Cunard Hotel prices to be quite high and not easy to get specific room grades. That said, Cunard also have good flight prices and it is worth phoning them for flight upgrade (PE or Business) prices because I have found them quite good in the past.

Hi,

Am curious to learn your experiences with online booking at Cunard, or via a travel agent. Just wondering what might be more advantageous, i.e. getting the best price :rolleyes:

Cheers,

V.

I recommend finding a TA who has a relationship with Cunard. That's what we've done and I find that we get good prices as well as a TA who is able and willing to monitor for price drops before final payment.