just returned Regal princess 5 days Canada

markf

The ship , service and food was beyond my expectations, and this was my 25th cruise + or -.

2nd time on Princess--very impressed.

Itinerary was very different , not the typical cruise, too cold for pool sitting, temperature in high 40s . Perhaps better in early October or late Sept.

Any questions, glad to answer

Perhaps better in early October or late Sept.

I kind of think that this itinerary should end around 10/20 or so. Foliage is past peak north of Boston after the 20th, and there seems to be foul weather every year around this time. (I say that as I stare at heavy snow out my office window). The "Perfect Storm" was a late October storm, as was "Alfred" which kept cruise ships stuck in NY for a day or two extra in 2011. Next year Princess is repeating the schedule with a 5 day cruise late in October and then has its repositioning cruise that leaves Quebec on 10/25. As much as I like that itinerary, I wouldn't book that sailing. It would be far more attractive to me if it departed Quebec 10-12 days earlier. Sailing between Canada and New York between 10/25 and 11/4 seems like a bad bet, weatherwise.

I'm just off it as well but don't share the OP's opinion. While most was as expected, the big weak spot was the Concerto DR (the MDR used most days for breakfast, lunch, and tea) which was in disarray every time we were in it. Painfully slow service, forgotten orders (still waiting for yesterday's breakfast juice), and servers running around with no plan. At tea, scones would come but no creams/jam (actually, the first sea day, scones were in short supply since apparently having large numbers of guests for tea on a sea day was a surprise). On our June cruise on Regal, things were much better but since then, both Maitre'D and the Hotel Director have changed and the Maitre'D was much less visible than the one in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there also a Princess World Orchestra performance at the Piazza on your 5 day cruise?

Yes. But at 9pm so missed all but the last 30 seconds since we had late seating for dinner.

As crazy as this may sound, I never ate in the regular dining room.

I ate in Sabatinis one night, veal chop was superb, price is now 29 per person.

Other nights were in the buffet, each evening was excellent. As mentioned earlier I have been on 25+ cruises, and the buffet was exceptional, choices and quality.

One night they had poached salmon, never saw that on a cruise

Ample shrimp dishes, meats being carved , salad bar etc.

Breakfasts were crowded, dinner was not.

We did see the princess orchestra last night very well done.

I didn't eat in Steak house as I never had a good steak on a cruise, I suppose being a NY resident we have access to real Prime Steak, which the cruise is not serving

We too are just off the Regal today. The one thing that got us very upset was the anytime dining. The lines were ridiculously long. People would come from the back of the line and tell the head waiter they were unable to stand that long. He would immediately seat them. Really??? Why weren't they given a pager and told to go have a seat and they would be called when it was their turn. No one enjoys waiting on a long line. Next cruise I'll bring a cane and use the same excuse. :rolleyes:

The Randy Heddon Quartet was the epitome of bad cruise entertainment. I have never heard such a bad band on Princess. The rest of the entertainers were very good.

The ship , service and food was beyond my expectations, and this was my 25th cruise + or -.

2nd time on Princess--very impressed.

Itinerary was very different , not the typical cruise, too cold for pool sitting, temperature in high 40s . Perhaps better in early October or late Sept.

Any questions, glad to answer

Are you talking buffet or MDR? Buffet is very good not so much MDR.

We too are just off the Regal today. The one thing that got us very upset was the anytime dining. The lines were ridiculously long.

My wife and I were also on this cruise and we never had a wait for the anytime dining room.

I'm not picking on either of you, but perhaps we should institute a new protocol here on this Board that whenever anyone comments (positively or negatively) on ATD that they be required to state which dining room they dined in, what time they arrived and how many minutes they actually waited. Perhaps for some people, 15 minutes is a short wait and for others it is an eternity. Or perhaps the arrival time strategies made a world of difference. How else can these two observations be reconciled?

We were on Regal 15-22 Oct, left as you all embarked on that cold, rainy day. I had mentioned disappointment in MDR service (Symphony) for both breakfast and dinner. Our longest wait was approx. 15 min as we waited on a table for four. My problems were scattered: had to ask for bread plate, salt and pepper (twice), asked several times for drinks and then refills, second refill was never gotten. Waiter let us know it was not his job to get drinks and referred us to his assistant. Not happy with that and already commented on Princess post-cruise eval. Re: time, we went to MDR usually between 6:30 and 7:15. Our friends decided they'd rather eat most meals in Buffet. We enjoy the DR service but were very disappointed in quality of some food (over cooked).

Overall, it was a lovely cruise and ship. There did seem to be a lot of inexperienced crew present. Guess they have to learn somewhere!

Wish we were aboard tonight as she heads to St Maarten.

To clarify my comment..... We ate in Symphony Dining Room three times. Once about 5:30, once about 7 and the last time about 7:45. We had zero wait all three times. Once for a two top, the other times sharing. My comment about great service was about Horizon Court. We had no trouble getting drinks or refills. At breakfast there were almost too many servers.

I'm not picking on either of you, but perhaps we should institute a new protocol here on this Board that whenever anyone comments (positively or negatively) on ATD that they be required to state which dining room they dined in, what time they arrived and how many minutes they actually waited. Perhaps for some people, 15 minutes is a short wait and for others it is an eternity. Or perhaps the arrival time strategies made a world of difference. How else can these two observations be reconciled?

We were a party of 4 and went to the Symphony dining room for dinner about 5:50. Our wait times were 20 mins, 40 mins and 50 mins. The other 2 nights we ate at the buffet.

perhaps we should institute a new protocol here on this Board that whenever anyone comments (positively or negatively) on ATD that they be required to state which dining room they dined in, what time they arrived and how many minutes they actually waited?

Also include if you were willing to share. I miss the days my mom was willing to share. We met some amazing people. But the last few cruises she didn't feel up to it. But even had it down to a science. Get a pager and go sit for a glass of wine. Don't remember which dining room but usually the only one deck 5 I think.

Dinner in the dining room is important to me. I look forward to good food and good service. Princess has rarely let me down.

We were on the Regal for 25 days before she started the Canada/NE itinerary as we sailed the Baltic/British Isles and transatlantic to NY.

We had a group of 6 to 8 most evenings we decided to use the MDR and never waited more than 10 minutes to be seated. Our seating times varied, but they were in the range of around 7:00. There were occasions when we were moved to the Allegro DR which worked out fine.

Like others posting here, we are many times in HC/Bistro for dinner because we wanted to be in the Princess Theatre early enough for the second show as it fills up quickly. In reality, we really liked eating there because the variety and quality that were amazing. There were items offered in the MDR in addition to some really unique and special dishes.

Alfredo's was a choice for lunch or dinner with a great limited menu, excellently done with quick service.

We really love sailing on the Royal Class ships and look forward to our 8th them in February.

my wife and i also got off the regal yesterday. i know that the staff can vary from person to person but i must say that i found the mdr staff at breakfast seemed confused and out of their depth. at dinner i think that either they gotten rid of the waiters assistant or perhaps they now support several waiter because our poor waiter had to handle everything down to refilling water. don't get me wrong. all of this is small potato in a wonderful vacation.

my wife and i also got off the regal yesterday. i know that the staff can vary from person to person but i must say that i found the mdr staff at breakfast seemed confused and out of their depth. at dinner i think that either they gotten rid of the waiters assistant or perhaps they now support several waiter because our poor waiter had to handle everything down to refilling water. don't get me wrong. all of this is small potato in a wonderful vacation.

Dinner the first night in Allegro was also confused and slow. Our assistant waiter seemed to be supporting two waiters and was clearly not up to the task. Waiter I think had been recently promoted as his name tag said Assistant Waiter. But the later nights, a waiter from next to our section (who had just joined the ship but clearly knew what she was doing) with a lot of no-show tables helped and service was up to what we expected.

That first night we also got the assistant handles the beverages and waiter handles the food speech but after the first night, the waiter handled everything and the assistant was rarely seen.

after reading the complaints, i am indeed happy i chose to eat at the Buffet.

One of the reasons for not going to the dining room is always getting food that is luke warm and service is usually slow.

Of course of you go to a specialty restaurant you avoid those issues.

That is one advantage an NCL has, as they have a dozen food venues , so getting service and variety is not an issue

We too are just off the Regal today. The one thing that got us very upset was the anytime dining. The lines were ridiculously long. People would come from the back of the line and tell the head waiter they were unable to stand that long. He would immediately seat them. Really??? Why weren't they given a pager and told to go have a seat and they would be called when it was their turn. No one enjoys waiting on a long line. Next cruise I'll bring a cane and use the same excuse. :rolleyes:

The Randy Heddon Quartet was the epitome of bad cruise entertainment. I have never heard such a bad band on Princess. The rest of the entertainers were very good.

I am just curious why you thought the Randy Heddon Quartet was so bad? We were on the Regal last October for the 7-day Canada/New England run and enjoyed them (and the cruise director Martyn Moss) very much. What was it you didn't enjoy?

I am just curious why you thought the Randy Heddon Quartet was so bad? We were on the Regal last October for the 7-day Canada/New England run and enjoyed them (and the cruise director Martyn Moss) very much. What was it you didn't enjoy?

Their singing was off key along with many sour notes to the music. They reminded us of the guys in the E.D. commercials who had a high school band, had a mid-life crisis, and got the band back together now that their wives have left them.

Just plain lousy.

Have you seen John Bressler? Now he CAN play the piano!

I enjoyed the length of the cruise. I feel 5 days is just right. We go to dinner about 6:00 so we were able to get in right away to the Symphony dining room. We like to share because we meet such interesting people. We did experience a long wait the last night. Service was spotty, quick and efficient some nights, not so good other nights.

I thought the public spaces on the Regal were a big improvement from the other ships. One negative is that the Lotus Spa was moved to deck 5. My wife has asthma and the odors bothered her as we walked by the Spa.

We found the cabin to be smaller than the ocean view on the other ships probably because of the balcony.