Demise of Grand Voyages

mrlevin

Just a few days ago, there were 20 Grand Voyages listed on RSSC website; today, there are just three; the two Circle South America and the 60 night Montreal to New York. Although most of the 20 were segments of the South America or World Cruises, there were a few exceptions. Since the two Northern European Grand Voyages had just departed from London on 6 June, the remaining unique voyage was Barcelona to Sydney 64 nights this November.

What is worthwhile about the Grand Voyage special are the included benefits. These include such items as special shoreside events, door to door luggage, hotel night before, and (most importantly to me) included visas.

I don't know if this is cost cutting or revenue maximizing. I don't know how important these items were to the cruisers who booked these cruises. To date, I have not been able to take a Grand Voyage (in its entirety) because of work. Now that I finally book a 63 night cruise Radisson has cut them back.

Oh well, it is only money. :(

Marc

PS Does anyone have any use for some orphan Goldpoints?

Edited by Marq

This seems to be a very strange cut-back to make

It will not save Regent much and will just turn customers away who were thinking of booking one of the Grand Voyages

Up to about 18 months ago Regent's definition of a Grand Voyage was anything over 35 days. Then the criteria became less well defined and now it appears that the Grand Voyage is being phased out completely

It may be worth posting a question for Randall Soy since it comes under his remit of Sales & Marketing

IMO, Regent is just changing things up due to customer demand. I remember when a long voyage was done annually that went from Europe - stopped in Cape Town and went on to Miami (sometimes ended in South America). Then the itinerary totally disappeared for about 4 years because the sailings were not full. Then, when any itinerary that included Cape Town was offered, people flocked to it (and still are doing so).

I have seen requests for new itineraries over the years and it seems that Regent tries to give their guests what they want. No doubt Grand Voyages will return when the demand is there.

Edited to say that the World Cruises also disappeared until the demand became so great that Regent couldn't ignore it. The 2017/2018 World Cruises could not be more popular!

Edited by Travelcat2

Marc, we booked our first Grand Voyage (Auckland to Hong Kong) in January precisely for the reasons you mention included visas et. al. This Grand Voyage (vs booking a b2b) bennie that swayed us since we get free laundry on Silversea was the free laundry and unlimited dry cleaning. Still pine for Grand Voyage hat and jacket but not included in our voyage but was included in a 35 day GV late last year.

Jackie, read my post; the cruises haven't changed; just the Grand Voyage designation.

Sorry - I did misinterpret your post. So, the voyages are still there but their designation changed. It certainly could be a cut-back. Are these long voyages still selling well? I'm asking because it seems that no matter how much the fares of cruises go up or what changes Regent makes to their benefits, it does not affect how many people cruise on their ships.

BTW, congratulations on your retirement!