Horrible experience with Cunard Air

eabb

eabb.

Thank you for updating us and good to read Cunard have stepped up to the mark and taken responsibility. Having missed our flight home from Monte Carlo a few days ago, from an Oceania cruise, because our pre-arranged car didn't turn up and there were no taxis available, I can understand to a lesser degree how awful this must have been for you.

Hopefully next time will be less stressful.

This is absolutely terrifying/appalling.

We're taking our first Cunard crossing next May and plan on using Cunard Air as it'll be substantially cheaper than purchasing outright.

Is there any way to be proactive against this happening? If I showed up and Cunard hadn't paid for my flight ... I very well would be in jail for the following behavior!

I think there is a simple answer.

Check in online BEFORE you leave the ship and, if you are in the Grills, get your concierge to print off your boarding pass.

Goodness - talk about blaming the victim. I suspect a judge would not agree with you.

Several times in the 1970s and 80s we took advantage of Cunard's free air travel on BA for the opposite direction of Atlantic crossings. The free flights were normal at that time. Fortunately we never had a problem, whether flying economy or paying a supplement for Club Class. But then, real tickets were issued by the travel agent or Cunard.

I think you may have taken me of context here! The post I referred to was about not getting seats together on a flight which Cunard do not guarantee: having your e-tickets refused is another matter.

Anyway, so pleased the OP is on the road to recovering costs, and hope the compensation is good by way of voucher, as this whole episode must have been very stressful.

Thanks for all the comments. We spent four days in London so could not check in on board. No voucher on offer yet but they are refunding my ticket home that I bought originally as well as reimbursing me for the ticket bought yesterday. I am very satisfied, and the apologies were nice, too. My husband, who was not on this trip, and I may do another crossing as I enjoyed this one very much. Found the enrichment and entertainment almost as good as Crystal, our current favorite. Loved my princess grills stateroom and the general look of the ship. Food not perfect but quite good. Free drinks package was wonderful.(y) Cunard's airfare was well priced but I will triple check next time. With a BA printout of my itinerary, seat assignment and Reference number, we felt we were covered, but weren't.

Thanks for all the comments. We spent four days in London so could not check in on board. No voucher on offer yet but they are refunding my ticket home that I bought originally as well as reimbursing me for the ticket bought yesterday. I am very satisfied, and the apologies were nice, too. My husband, who was not on this trip, and I may do another crossing as I enjoyed this one very much. Found the enrichment and entertainment almost as good as Crystal, our current favorite. Loved my princess grills stateroom and the general look of the ship. Food not perfect but quite good. Free drinks package was wonderful.(y) Cunard's airfare was well priced but I will triple check next time. With a BA printout of my itinerary, seat assignment and Reference number, we felt we were covered, but weren't.

Good that it's sorted and you are satisfied - even if it should never have happened. It would be nice if your husband sent a similar message to his 25,000 followers, to give credit where it's due.

How far in advance of your BA flight can one do an online check in? I have never felt the need to do this before, but I booked my flights to London for my QM2 crossing through Cunard Air for the first time. But we will be flying to the Seattle airport to catch that flight. Can I check in online 24 hours in advance? 48 hours? More?

How far in advance of your BA flight can one do an online check in? I have never felt the need to do this before, but I booked my flights to London for my QM2 crossing through Cunard Air for the first time. But we will be flying to the Seattle airport to catch that flight. Can I check in online 24 hours in advance? 48 hours? More?

British Airways is 24hrs.

M-AR

So the takeaway is - what are we supposed to do to prevent this from happening? I am a TA and I am appallled. I have never heard horror stories like this before. A booking, a confirmation number, an e-ticket receipt, what else should be needed as proof of a reservation? How can a passenger verify that the cruise line paid for the ticket?

So the takeaway is - what are we supposed to do to prevent this from happening? I am a TA and I am appallled. I have never heard horror stories like this before. A booking, a confirmation number, an e-ticket receipt, what else should be needed as proof of a reservation? How can a passenger verify that the cruise line paid for the ticket?

Like you, I have NEVER heard a horror story like this before and I've been sailing with Cunard since 1990.

Mistakes can happen. Booked flight after Mom died the night before flight. Went online for Boarding Pass next morn, DH had one, I did not. Got to airport 30 min late as taxi did not arrive in rain. United would NOT let us on as I did not have a ticket. Agent the night before made a mistake & accidentally cancelled my ticket. Could not buy a new one & get on that flight as it was not in the "window" that United had / 20 min by then. Flight not full either. Supervisor called & could care less about going to a funeral. Too tired to pitch a fit & it was obvious the supervisor would not budge!

So.... if you cannot get Boarding Pass for any reason, get on the phone ASAP.

FYI only time this has ever happened😎 United sent me a voucher after I got home & wrote them a letter. I do not fly them. Period!

Barbara

Having worked in the travel industry this is clearly a case of a flight reservation made, however they forgot to issue the ticket. So something went wrong between the reservation and ticketing department. Technically speaking it wasn't "put on queue" or it didn't "appear on queue" to be ticketed. Most of the time it's a human error however it can be CRS problem too.

It does happen more often than you think however in this case it was most unfortunate. Great to hear Cunard sorted it out in the end, even though it meant having to reach out online.

Well you've heard a few now.

David.

Hi David, that's just ONE in my book.

There was of course the saga of the missing suitcase at Brooklyn for which Cunard got the flack: wrongly in my view.

We never did get closure on that though.

Terrifying! I have just looked up my ticket on voyage personalised and it is an e ticket for both BA flight and cruise and I don't actually have a BA reference to book into the flight. Glad you got sorted and posted this. I will be checking with TA before we go now! Thanks:)