Mahjong and Bridge

SMAP

Looking at a cruise on Marina next year with many sea days.

Two questions:

Is organized bridge a standard activity?

Do they have MJ game sets on board and how can one organize games?

THANKS!

Often these things are "self-starting". There ARE cruises where a bridge instructor is on board, as with our recent April 21-May 7 cruise on Marina. I think for that cruise there were also a number of Mah Jong people. (I think they did this on their own.)

It's hard to say specifically what will be the case with YOUR cruise. The first step would be to go to your Roll Call and ask there.

And if your cruise is that far off, it might be a good idea to contact Oceania and REQUEST such opportunities. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Mura

On many of the cruises with sea days there are ACBL lessons or non hosted Bridge games. There is a sign up book in the board room for the non hosted games and it will appear in the Currents. There were 4 lessons on last week's Marina. When we did the Atlantic Crossing there were daily lessons and duplicate games on both Sea days and even on some port days

There are many games in the board room - including Maj jongg and Backgammon sets, plus regular games of Monopoly, Rummi Tiles, Life, Sorry, and most of the common games.

We play backgammon together when we cruise and the set was missing pieces and someone took the other set and did not return it. We mentioned it to reception without saying our names, but low and behold later that day a board was waiting in our cabin for us with a lovely note. That little gesture was heartwarming.

and there were probably 6 MJ sets in the card room. MJ was listed in the daily program every sea day and we had at least 2 tables, sometimes 3 each day. ...AM & PM!!!! Loads of fun. Check on your R/C for others who might be interested and/or just show up in the card room at the time specified in the daily program! Don't forget to bring your card...they also had photocopies of the cards as well...shhhh...don't tell the MJ League!!! :cool: LuAnn

So nice to hear they have Mah Jongg sets on board. It is one of Ellie's favorite activities (by the way ladies I play too). I prefer bridge, but that was our deal, I would learn Mah Jongg and she would learn bridge.

We are on the Baltic Marvels Aug. 14-21. Since there is only one sea day, there won't be a lot of time for games, but we look forward to the time we have.

Hope someone checks the sets on each of the ships to make sure they have all the tiles. There were three cases last time I was on Regatta, but only one complete set.

It has become a popular activity on sea days....and I hate to think I need to bring a set!

Thank you for all the MJ info. It is both encouraging (that they have sets and organized times) but also worrisome (missing tiles!).

Any suggestions on who to contact beforehand to increase the probability of both complete game sets and games?

Thank you for all the MJ info. It is both encouraging (that they have sets and organized times) but also worrisome (missing tiles!).

Any suggestions on who to contact beforehand to increase the probability of both complete game sets and games?

We just check the sets before starting to play. If we find a problem, we report it to the person(s) in charge. Then, try to keep the same set for future games.:) Usually, not a problem.