Carnival Vista stops at Turkey

YakirBuc

Hi!

We are traveling with Vista in October 1 this year,

One of the ports is in Turkey, Kusadasi.

As I imagine you are all familiar with the recent Terror attacks in Turkey, we fear for our safety there.

Is there any formal message from Carnival regarding the issue? maybe changing a port?

I am also on the October 1 sailing, and I have the same question. Before there was a travel warning for Izmir so Carnival switched the itinerary to Kusadasi, however, it appears that on June 27 (due to the recent terrorist attack) a travel warning for the entire country of Turkey is in place. Ephesus is on my bucket list, but now I'm not sure, how I feel....October is still a long way away, so I suppose we can only just wait and watch.

I hope they keep the port on the cruise as I have a great day planned at Aqua fantasy water park in Kusadasi.

I am not worried about safety as it is hundreds of miles away from Istanbul.

Hi!

As I imagine you are all familiar with the recent Terror attacks in Turkey, we fear for our safety there.

Is there any formal message from Carnival regarding the issue? maybe changing a port?

Do you fear for your safety when traveling to florida due to the attack in Orlando? Or to Ca. because of the San Bernadino attack? If you have a concern and won't feel comfortable in Turkey, just don't get off the ship. Carnival isn't going to go there if they feel it isn't safe.

Do you fear for your safety when traveling to florida due to the attack in Orlando? Or to Ca. because of the San Bernadino attack? If you have a concern and won't feel comfortable in Turkey, just don't get off the ship. Carnival isn't going to go there if they feel it isn't safe.

Agree. Carnival can't afford to take the chance if it has been deemed unsafe. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry. If they don't go there, they will go somewhere else. :rolleyes:

This is a silly comparison. There is a huge difference between a lone wolf shooting a place up and an organized terror attack using bombs. A BIG difference!

Hi!

Any formal message would be one emailed directly to you from Carnival as it was to us on the 5/24 sailing cancelling Izmir. They later added back in

Kusadasi. It was a lovely port and we thoroughly enjoyed a day in Ephesus free of safety concern. I hope you are able to do the same!

This is a silly comparison. There is a huge difference between a lone wolf shooting a place up and an organized terror attack using bombs. A BIG difference!

Really? That lone wolf did just as much damage! The point is, if we live in fear, the terrorist have won as that is their agenda. No matter where you travel or go, there is risk. The cruise line isn't going to go there if they feel it isn't safe.

Why is it a big difference?

The intent is the same. Just because one in this instance is targeting travelers at an airport and the other gay people in a bar.

I doubt the victims would see it as different at all.

That said, if these terrorists started targeting tourist spots, then I would agree with the point I think you are trying to make. (which i think is that the gun man was a bit random as opposed from organised religious nuts...... that said.... what was the difference???) :eek:

We shouldn't be bashing each other. Each person has their own comfort zone. There are a lot of good points in the thread, but it all comes down to how safe someone feels.

eta bashing is a strong word, but I couldn't think of another way to phrase it :)

Edited by 3redheads

We just finished our 6/21 cruise and was in Kasudasi just a few days prior to the Instanbol incident....

While I do know they are hundreds of miles apart, we felt completely safe there. Between site seeing the history & walking in grand bazaare for hours, we had no issues (except for a few pushy vendors & taxi drivers, as in EVERY port), and had a much better time then we expected.

Play it by ear, and see what Carnival does, Oct. is still quite a ways away still.

Even though people feel safe in Kusadasi because it is a couple hundred miles from the latest terrorist attack, there is still a concern. See the latest LA Times article. The people causing trouble are closer than you think.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-turkey-istanbul-nightlife-20160403-story.html

Counter-terrorism police on Friday arrested about 15 members of the group in coastal Izmir, local media reports indicate, seizing documents and shotguns. Dogan News Agency reported that some of those arrested were in training for suicide attacks.

Izmir — a liberal city on the country's western tourism trail — has become a smuggling hub over the last year. Many hundreds of thousands of desperate refugees use the bays and inlets along its coastal shores to begin hazardous trips to the nearby Greek islands of Lesbos and Chios.

Izmur is only 62 miles from Kusadasi.

Hello,

We were on the 6/21 sailing of the Vista, and just prior to sailing, Carnival emailed us saying they were replacing Izmir with Kusadasi. They deem this to be a safer port. And for those wanting to travel to Ancient Ephesus, it is actually much nearer to the ruins, and therefore more convenient.

We've traveled quite a bit in the Middle East and Africa (independently, not on cruise tours), so I really can't worry too much about potential terror threats, etc. I just assume we need to use common sense and be wise, regardless of wherever we are. That being said, we had our two children (ages 10 months and 6) with us, and we didn't feel remotely concerned for our safety in Kusadasi. Not one bit! If we would have, we would have returned to the ship and not put them in any potential danger. But it was a lovely port with friendly people, and in no way did I feel concerned.

I booked a private excursion through Viator for the 4 of us with a local guide and a local driver, and we had a wonderful day.

My family owns a holiday home in Turkey, and despite the bombing in Istanbul which happened later that week, they still flew to Istanbul (5 days following the bombing) and are in Turkey now on holiday and having a great time.

This was one of our favorite ports, and honestly, felt much safer than even Ensenada (which I've been to a dozen times)! You'll love it!

(And just to ease your nerves, make sure you take the Fun Times with you which lists the port and ship contact...You can also take the phone numbers for the embassy/consulate in Turkey, God forbid, if some issue were to arise).

The Vista was scheduled to dock at the port of Kusadasi today but the port was cancelled. It was replaced by a sea day.Guess that VAT tax will kick in for this cruise.

Sorry, and maybe not the correct place to post this, but I would like to know more about the VAT tax. First time for me in Europe and don't quite understand. Just post me some links that explain this better. Thanks

Its something that is relativity new. All EU countries have purchase taxes which bary according to the goods.

If Vista visited a non Eu port then no EU VAT (value added tax) would be levied. If if doesn't its treated as not leaving waters of your embarkstion country.

Spain charges 10% on food and drink consumed... So all drinks from bars and speciality restaurants get hit. Goods and services will be hit with 21%

Bad news.... Its become known as Spanish tax. So the trick is tale an Eu cruise that stops outside the EU.

Thankfully that will be the UK soon.

The President has declared a state of emergency in Turkey for the next three months.

I think Carnival will just take the decision to take Turkey out of the itinerary for all the rest of the relevant cruises rather than monitor it on a weekly basis as they have been doing

The President has declared a state of emergency in Turkey for the next three months.

I think Carnival will just take the decision to take Turkey out of the itinerary for all the rest of the relevant cruises rather than monitor it on a weekly basis as they have been doing

I checked and the Vista is only due to dock in Kusadasi 3 more times before it repositions.

3rd of Sept 13th of Sept and the 1st of Oct.

i'm hoping they play the next 6 weeks by ear and decide nearer the next time it's due to dock before cancelling.

The UK government has no high alter for the area of Kusasdasi & coastal resorts and as it says its a popular holiday destination and is generally safe but to take extra safety precautions.

I believe a similar sate of emergency is also in place in France and they are considering extending it till October........ has anyone asked not to dock in a French port? just a thought. I know I will flamed for that comment but terrorism is happening everywhere and anywhere. with the way things are in Europe at the moment we could go to any of the main cruise ports and be caught up in something.

a lot can happen in 6-8 weeks time so lets not panic before it's needed.

I have every faith that they will do the right thing by us.

But I hope they don't listen to the few and go with the advice of the higher sources to make the right decision.

I checked and the Vista is only due to dock in Kusadasi 3 more times before it repositions.

3rd of Sept 13th of Sept and the 1st of Oct.

i'm hoping they play the next 6 weeks by ear and decide nearer the next time it's due to dock before cancelling.

The UK government has no high alter for the area of Kusasdasi & coastal resorts and as it says its a popular holiday destination and is generally safe but to take extra safety precautions.

I believe a similar sate of emergency is also in place in France and they are considering extending it till October........ has anyone asked not to dock in a French port? just a thought. I know I will flamed for that comment but terrorism is happening everywhere and anywhere. with the way things are in Europe at the moment we could go to any of the main cruise ports and be caught up in something.

a lot can happen in 6-8 weeks time so lets not panic before it's needed.

I have every faith that they will do the right thing by us.

But I hope they don't listen to the few and go with the advice of the higher sources to make the right decision.

Good point..... Avoid France too. :D

To be fair, a military coup and the recent very high level of terrorist attacks do make Turkey a far more serious danger. The numbers involved or potentially involved are far higher and the country has factions at war within....... Or should ships be OK to visit Somalia and not worry about levels of perceived and very real dangers?

PS... Fort Lauderdale be avoided too. :p