Stockholm Cruise Port

You should be able to see Gamla Stan from the Starboard side of your ship. I can't tell you about local buses, but there are both HOHO buses and boats very near by. If you are up for it, it's about a 45-minute walk from your boat to Gamla Stan

If you haven't seen the Vasa Museum it is worth your time. After you exit your ship, follow the red line and it will take you to the HOHO boat (25 euros pp) For the first trip of the day it goes direct to the museum getting you there ahead of the crowds. We had a wonderful time viewing the exhibits without a million people around. Gamla Stan is then walkable from there. After that, you can hop on your boat and get back to your ship. Enjoy. The Baltics was one of our very favorite itineraries.

Edited by TeaBag

We were in Stockholm docked at the same place, and we walked to Gamla Stan. It was a very easy walk as there was a line painted on the sidewalk, plus you can see it as you walk. I seem to remember it taking maybe in the range of 20 minutes.

If that is the only place you wish to go (and with the palace and the museums, changing of the guard, etc. there is plenty to do on Gamla Stan) then don't spend the money on the HOHO bus. Some of the folks on our voyage had less than satisfactory experiences on the HOHO bus as they said it spent a lot of time sitting in traffic. But each experience is different!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

it's about a 45-minute walk from your boat to Gamla Stan

I seem to remember it taking maybe in the range of 20 minutes.

I have walked the route between the Viking line ferry terminal and Slussen several times and I know it takes 20-21 minutes for me.

(The Viking line ferry terminal is at the quay next to S167 Stadsgarden, about a 1000 feet closer to the city.

Slussen is a kind of cloverleaf interchange that connects the bridges to Gamla Stan with the road net and also includes a bus terminal, a subway station and a local railway station.)

So adding a few minutes for the 1000 feet mentioned above and two minutes for the bridge from Slussen over to Gamla Stan to 20 minutes and I would suggest it takes "less than half a hour". The total route is almost exactly 2 km or 1 1/4 mile long.

Edited by Ultima Thule

I have walked the route between the Viking line ferry terminal and Slussen several times and I know it takes 20-21 minutes for me.

(The Viking line ferry terminal is at the quay next to S167 Stadsgarden, about a 1000 feet closer to the city.

Slussen is a kind of cloverleaf interchange that connects the bridges to Gamla Stan with the road net and also includes a bus terminal, a subway station and a local railway station.)

So adding a few minutes for the 1000 feet mentioned above and two minutes for the bridge from Slussen over to Gamla Stan to 20 minutes and I would suggest it takes "less than half a hour". The total route is almost exactly 2 km or 1 1/4 mile long.

My husband had a sprained ankle. We walked slow. Even if healthy he walks slow, so 45-minutes was a good time for us.