Hotels in Tokyo

Blondiebet

We have booked a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium for November 2018 from Tokyo to Hong Kong and wanting to spend 2 nights at both ends of the cruise. We were shocked to find that a Tokyo hotel for 2 nights booked with Celebrity would be over $1100. Has anyone found an alternative that would be affordable but convenient? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

We did the same cruise in 2015. A number of us stayed at the Metropolitan Maruchouchi. It's next to Tokyo Station with easy connection from Narita. It's on the top floors of an office building. See trip advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066443-d653033-Reviews-Hotel_Metropolitan_Tokyo_Marunouchi-Chiyoda_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Note that if you try to book now, it will probably indicate that there are no rooms available for the date you selected. You will have to keep checking or contact the hotel directly by email to see when they will take reservations. We booked directly with the hotel rather than a travel site. An alternative hotel is Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo, it's a block away from the Metropolitan Marouchouchi.

In Hong Kong we stayed at the YMCA Salisbury which is very convenient to Star Ferry, Ocean Terminal and the HOP On Hop Off bus stops across the street.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294217-d305913-Reviews-The_Salisbury_YMCA_of_Hong_Kong-Hong_Kong.html

Not sure what level of hotel you want to stay in but I have booked the Hotel Gracery Tamachi in Tokyo. I am landing at Haneda and it is easy to get to the hotel from the airport. I found it very reasonable. $125 CDN per night for single in April. - April was open for bookings in July, 8 months ahead. It seemed to me that lots of the more expensive hotels were available for booking a long time ahead but the more reasonable ones not so much.

In Hong Kong the Salisbury YMCA is on my list too.

It's probably too early to be booking Tokyo for fall 2018. I'm having a difficult enough time right now for spring 2018.

We'll be staying in Shinjuku and the lead contenders for us are the JR Kyushu Hotel Blossom and the Keio Plaza. On the sites where they're booking for fall this year both are sitting at around $275-$300 per night for a superior double. I'm hoping to do a little better as my dates are bookable via third-party sites.

In Hong Kong many, many years ago we stayed at the Regal Hotel Kowloon and really liked it. Currently sitting at about $120-$130 a night for a double with arrival next week.

How budget do you want to go? :D

When we go to Japan, we stay at budget business hotel chains like APA or Toyoko Inn which you can find for around $100-150/night depending on the neighbourhood. They're all over the place. Both their rooms are tiny with even tinier ensuite but have free wifi, APA's are a bit nicer. Toyoko Inns are popular with tours and have a basic free breakfast.

Toyoko Inns also tend to try to have you out of the room mid day so they can service the room.

I second the YMCA Salisbury in Hong Kong. Clean and comfortable but most importantly location, location, location! We loved the MTR entrance just outside the side entrance to the hotel. As well as being handy for the trains we also used the air-conditioned underpass as a cool way to get to restaurants near the hotel. It was very hot when we were there.