Hilo - Can I do all of This??

sjmbruce

Volcano National Park

Akaka Falls

Kahuna Falls

Rainbow Falls

Pahoa or Kalapana

All of this leads me to my second question - is there anywhere to rent a car in Hilo? How accessible are the waterfalls from the road?

I also really want to go to Panalu'u. I read it is closer to Hilo but can do from Kona as well. I edited this to add that I have nothing planned from Kona and am there from 7am-5:30pm. I penciled it in as a possible snorkel day but would be okay using the day to go see a black sand beach.

Thanks!

Edited by sjmbruce

You could do VNP and Akaka & Kahuna Falls (the two falls are at the same location) - but Pahoa and Kalapana would be too much to add in (and I don't think they're worth going to with the short amount of time that you have in Hilo.)

Akaka and Kahuna are viewable via a paved walking path that's about a half mile long (it's a circular route, so that's the total length of the walk.)

Suggest mapping out your potential stops on google maps and add about 15% to the driving time indicated (google maps usually underestimates driving times in Hawaii.)

Car rentals are available - via a short shuttle ride to the airport rental locations. Have a look at other threads here re car rentals - you'll see lots of recommendations for Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

Punalu'u is going to be close to a 2 hour drive each way from Kailua Kona - it would be better to do it on your Hilo day - i.e. with VNP, but then you'd need to drop Akaka and Kahuna Falls.

Rainbow Falls is in Hilo, so if you have time, it will be convenient to get to - the parking lot is right next to the viewing area.

Edited by Susan-M

Volcano National Park

Akaka Falls

Kahuna Falls

Rainbow Falls

Pahoa or Kalapana

All of this leads me to my second question - is there anywhere to rent a car in Hilo? How accessible are the waterfalls from the road?

I also really want to go to Panalu'u. I read it is closer to Hilo but can do from Kona as well. I edited this to add that I have nothing planned from Kona and am there from 7am-5:30pm. I penciled it in as a possible snorkel day but would be okay using the day to go see a black sand beach.

Thanks!

We were able to visit Volcano National Park, Rainbow Falls, a black sand beach and much more with Ricky's Tours. Although Ricky visits all of the major sites that the tour busses go to, he has the timing down to either arrive as the buses are leaving or leave as the buses are arriving... we had more than ample time to visit each of the sites on the itinerary. His price is reasonable and he keeps the group small & manageable. Just an option to consider.

I agree with Susan-M. Pahoa and Kalapana are in the opposite direction of the other sights you have on your list. Best to leave them for another trip. I live in Pahoa and know the area well and you would be able to spend at least a half day in this area to really see and enjoy it.

You can easily head down to Punalu'u from VNP. I would keep an eye on the time and if you don't linger at VNP, you may have time to get to Akaka Falls. Or, the idea of a personalized tour is a great one. You won't have to waste time renting and returning the car, and the tour driver knows how much he can squeeze into a day. They do this everyday. There are many recommendations for Hilo tours guides on this board.

While in Kona, enjoy what that side of the island has to offer. Snorkeling would be a great option.

Thank you all!

I think the plan is going to be to rent a car. It looks like the personal tours are pretty pricey and I haven't liked group tours in the past.

We're going to go to Akaka and Kahuna Falls from Hilo. I estimate we'll be there less than 30 minutes . We will then hit Rainbow Falls when we head south for VNP. It looks like Rainbow falls is a shorter visit as well.

VNP - I'm interested in the lava tubes. I'm not sure what else I'd specifically want to do or see. What's a suggested time to spend there?

Depending on how much time we take at VNP, we might go to Punalu'u beach. I really just want to see it, take a picture or two, and walk in black sand. I estimate 30 minutes here, but I know the driving time is what will really matter. There's only a few things on my must do list for Hawaii, and a black sand beach is one of them.

Thank you all!

I think the plan is going to be to rent a car. It looks like the personal tours are pretty pricey and I haven't liked group tours in the past.

We're going to go to Akaka and Kahuna Falls from Hilo. I estimate we'll be there less than 30 minutes . We will then hit Rainbow Falls when we head south for VNP. It looks like Rainbow falls is a shorter visit as well.

VNP - I'm interested in the lava tubes. I'm not sure what else I'd specifically want to do or see. What's a suggested time to spend there?

Depending on how much time we take at VNP, we might go to Punalu'u beach. I really just want to see it, take a picture or two, and walk in black sand. I estimate 30 minutes here, but I know the driving time is what will really matter. There's only a few things on my must do list for Hawaii, and a black sand beach is one of them.

There is a smaller black sand beach right in Hilo called Richardson beach park. Definitely much smaller, but pretty, has black sand and turtles, and some nice snorkeling as well. It may be easier to hit than punaluu with the busy day you have planned.

~Katy

There is a smaller black sand beach right in Hilo called Richardson beach park. Definitely much smaller, but pretty, has black sand and turtles, and some nice snorkeling as well. It may be easier to hit than punaluu with the busy day you have planned.

~Katy

thank you so much. we will go here first and could possibly skip punaluu and save so much time :):)

Punalu'u is so beautiful, but it is quite the drive. I don't know if you'll have time if you do the waterfalls also. Depends on how much time you spend at the other stops.

Here's my favorite pic I took at Punalu'u

HawaiiPunaluu-resized_zps0818c125.jpg

http://<a href=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/MaryWetherby/media/HawaiiPunaluu-resized_zps0818c125.jpg.html rel=nofollow target=_blank>HawaiiPunaluu-resized_zps0818c125.jpg

panalulu is so beautiful and i have read a lot of great things about it. the drive time is what hurts - we'll have approximately 7 or 8 hours in port. the drive time round trip would be 5 hours. i feel like it would be cutting it too close.

we're also renting a car and doing the road to hana, so i think we'll be stopping at waianapanapa state park.

while panalulu is really a dream and the possibility of turtles on the beach is just amazing, i think i can compromise with richardson and waianapanapa. plus, the more i look into VNP the more i think we'll be doing the crater drive, the tube, and maybe a drive to the ocean at the edge of the park. so much to see in hawaii!

• 4 months later...
We were able to visit Volcano National Park, Rainbow Falls, a black sand beach and much more with Ricky's Tours. Although Ricky visits all of the major sites that the tour busses go to, he has the timing down to either arrive as the buses are leaving or leave as the buses are arriving... we had more than ample time to visit each of the sites on the itinerary. His price is reasonable and he keeps the group small & manageable. Just an option to consider.

We have made a reservation with Ricky's Tours for our upcoming cruise in November. What did your group do about deciding where to eat lunch?

Ditto for Mary Lou's Big Island a Tours. We did VNP, lava tubes, and the sites you mentioned. Family run small group tours. Great reviews. They do both sides of the island. We did Hilo side last time for VNP, and this time we are booked for Kona side.

They advised their son Kyle is now offering tours as well, Island Wide Vacations I believe is the name of the website. In Kona they offer a small group tour which includes snorkeling at what is commonly called Two-Step next to the national park. This is often referred to as one of the best snorkeling places on Hawaii. There tours are very personalized and conducted by Mary Lou, husband Ken, son Kyle or his wife.

Ditto for Mary Lou's Big Island a Tours. We did VNP, lava tubes, and the sites you mentioned. Family run small group tours. Great reviews. They do both sides of the island. We did Hilo side last time for VNP, and this time we are booked for Kona side.

They advised their son Kyle is now offering tours as well, Island Wide Vacations I believe is the name of the website. In Kona they offer a small group tour which includes snorkeling at what is commonly called Two-Step next to the national park. This is often referred to as one of the best snorkeling places on Hawaii. There tours are very personalized and conducted by Mary Lou, husband Ken, son Kyle or his wife.

I finally decided to shell out the cash and do a few private tours to cut down on the car rental rush and frenzied driving around that we'll be doing on Oahu, Maui and Kaui.

In Hilo, we're going with Mary Lou Tours for all the waterfalls I want to see, Richardson Beach Park and VNP. In Kona, we're doing the Two-Step snorkel with Kyle.

Edited by sjmbruce

I finally decided to shell out the cash and do a few private tours to cut down on the car rental rush and frenzied driving around that we'll be doing on Oahu, Maui and Kaui.

In Hilo, we're going with Mary Lou Tours for all the waterfalls I want to see, Richardson Beach Park and VNP. In Kona, we're doing the Two-Step snorkel with Kyle.

What is the cost of the Kona tour? What about the snorkel equiptment? Where else does it go?

Alternatively - it is darn easy to pick up rental cars. :)

• 2 weeks later...
What is the cost of the Kona tour? What about the snorkel equiptment? Where else does it go?

Alternatively - it is darn easy to pick up rental cars. :)

the tour costs $190 for two of us. it includes transportation, all snorkel equipment, a few hours in the water, lunch at a restaurant and a couple of additional stops. car rental and snorkel equipment rental would cost $114, not including lunch for two or gas. after driving around oahu for three days, doing the road to hana, and a few shorter drives, it will be nice to not have to drive for a day. really excited about snorkeling two step!

is there anywhere to rent a car in Hilo?

OP, sounds like you're set (or already visited Hilo?). FWIW, we rented from Harpers

https://www.harpershawaii.com/

P/u & d/o at the port. No complaints. We did VNP and Akaka Falls. We could have done more but decided to eat and hit up a nearby beach before returning to port. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

OP, sounds like you're set (or already visited Hilo?). FWIW, we rented from Harpers

https://www.harpershawaii.com/

P/u & d/o at the port. No complaints. We did VNP and Akaka Falls. We could have done more but decided to eat and hit up a nearby beach before returning to port. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

yes, thanks, we're all set! i hope....we sail in a month. kind of nervous but really excited.

• 1 year later...

I think you should do Punalu'u and VNP and then decide if you have enough time for Akaka Falls. Akaka has always been one of my favorite water falls but it is on the opposite side of Hilo from the cruise port and your other sites. There has been construction on the main highway so you would need to find out if traffic delays are expected. Possibly you can pick a waterfall, Rainbow, that is in Hilo if you find you do not have time for Akaka. Cherie

So is it possible to do a quick stop at Punalu'u Beach then on to VNP and then to Alaska falls? We are on POA

When we went back in October 2015, we first went to Rainbow Falls (spent about 25-30 minutes there) and then headed to Punalu'u Beach (spent about 45 minutes there.) Then we headed to VNP. There was plenty of time if you don't linger too long at the stops there. I made a map of where the things in VNP were that I wanted to see and I prioritized them. I believe we made it to all of them :)

We are making a return trip aboard the POA again in March and I plan to see all these sites again.

Hi everyone! I have another timing question for Hilo. We will be renting a car from Discount Hawaii- my wish list was Punalu'u, the sea arch, VNP and the National Botanical Gardens.

On the map it looks like the sea arch & Punalu'u are up by the VNP.

I know the arch would be a quick stop for a photo, and we wouldn't linger too long at the beach. VNP we would not be going to the museum, just lava tube and crater. Others have posted the gardens took them about 90 minutes at a leisurely pace.

What do you say? Is this too much to try for? Let me know your thoughts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Hi everyone! I have another timing question for Hilo. We will be renting a car from Discount Hawaii- my wish list was Punalu'u, the sea arch, VNP and the National Botanical Gardens.

On the map it looks like the sea arch & Punalu'u are up by the VNP.

I know the arch would be a quick stop for a photo, and we wouldn't linger too long at the beach. VNP we would not be going to the museum, just lava tube and crater. Others have posted the gardens took them about 90 minutes at a leisurely pace.

What do you say? Is this too much to try for? Let me know your thoughts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Looks very doable to me....especially if you do it in the order you listed.