Aloha is Love - Review of POA in Hawaii with Pics, Menus & More

sjmbruce

If we went again we would rent a car (especially since our return trip would be land based with a few days on the Big Island). For us, it was a time factor and the exhaustion factor. The private tour was pricey ($400 for the two of us all day) so renting a car is definitely more cost effective. There were a few places I don't think we would have found on our own, but most spots were easy to drive to. I'm sure you won't have any trouble at all.

$400?![emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

They normally charge $85 per person and can get 5-6 people in the vehicle so $400 for the vehicle is not out of line.

Thanks for the per person price quote, I couldn't remember how much they normally charged and couldn't find it in my emails from them.

We saved almost four long years for this trip, putting money in a separate bank account every single paycheck. While I wasn't going to spend money in areas I knew we could be more frugal, such as staying in a simple hotel or spending less on stuff to bring home, I wanted our experiences to last a life time. For those, I didn't mind paying more.

Ah OK, thanks for the clarification. I saw the $400 and I thought "wait...I knew Hawaii was expensive but I could have sworn we're paying a lot less." lol we're not doing a private tour, but hoping the other folks in our van agree with us with regards to stops. When I spoke with Ken, I said I would rather spend more time at the coffee farm than the orchid nursery! 😃

Ah OK, thanks for the clarification. I saw the $400 and I thought "wait...I knew Hawaii was expensive but I could have sworn we're paying a lot less." lol we're not doing a private tour, but hoping the other folks in our van agree with us with regards to stops. When I spoke with Ken, I said I would rather spend more time at the coffee farm than the orchid nursery! 😃

Kattus, I assume you are talking about the "coffee farm" which is part of Ken and Mary Lou's Hilo tour. Although I did learn some things about coffee here that I did not know, it is not really a "farm" IMO. The lady who owns it buys beans from growers on the island and processes them. You just go into a back room and listen to her talk. You really don't see any behind the scenes stuff. If I had my choice, I'd eliminate this stop altogether and substitute something else.

If you are really interested in a coffee plantation operation, I recommend you go on the Kona tour run by Mary Lou's. We booked through her, and her son Kyle was the guide. Amoung the many places we visited, it included a lengthy stop at Greenwells Coffee Plantation, high up in the mountain. Once there, you do a tasting, and then join a tour conducted by a Greenwells employee. This guy was a real character, and you see the operation in detail. You learn why, although Greenwells makes award winning coffee, you do not see it on the shelves at the grocery store. It was truly interesting and my favorite stop of the day. We also did a stop at Big Island Bees, and watching the owner, a very young woman, handling the bees was fascinating. You also do a tasting here, and it is amazing how you can taste and smell the differences in the honey produced depending on which flower was in season when it was made.

Kattus, I assume you are talking about the "coffee farm" which is part of Ken and Mary Lou's Hilo tour. Although I did learn some things about coffee here that I did not know, it is not really a "farm" IMO. The lady who owns it buys beans from growers on the island and processes them. You just go into a back room and listen to her talk. You really don't see any behind the scenes stuff. If I had my choice, I'd eliminate this stop altogether and substitute something else.

If you are really interested in a coffee plantation operation, I recommend you go on the Kona tour run by Mary Lou's. We booked through her, and her son Kyle was the guide. Amoung the many places we visited, it included a lengthy stop at Greenwells Coffee Plantation, high up in the mountain. Once there, you do a tasting, and then join a tour conducted by a Greenwells employee. This guy was a real character, and you see the operation in detail. You learn why, although Greenwells makes award winning coffee, you do not see it on the shelves at the grocery store. It was truly interesting and my favorite stop of the day. We also did a stop at Big Island Bees, and watching the owner, a very young woman, handling the bees was fascinating. You also do a tasting here, and it is amazing how you can taste and smell the differences in the honey produced depending on which flower was in season when it was made.

Yes, Mary Lou's Big Island tours is what I was referring to; figured it wasn't an actual farm per se but I love coffee and being in its environment. lol We were considering booking with Kyle on the Kona side, but that's our "casual" day where the only thing we have planned is the Kona Brewery tour around 11 and perhaps just walking around and looking at some of the sites around the pier like the Hulihee Palace. It'll probably be the only day we'll be able to enjoy a nice, relaxing breakfast :)

Wish I had known the details of the Kona tour, I might have booked that one. I just love the different honey tastes depending upon the flowers. I always use honey in my tea :p Oh well, just another reason to go back to Hawaii ;) , that and Waimea canyon in Kauai, which was cancelled due to the traffic accident blocking the road :(

Hi Brenda,

We have booked with Mary Lous on Kona and Hilo and it was good to know that you can request where and what you would like to see. Greenwells was not on the agenda to see so I will remember that for the coffee farm. I love honey too and that sounds really interesting too. Hope it is just the four of us so we can go to these places. Did you go to the orchid farm? Thanks for the info Brenda.

Bonnie

Wish I had known the details of the Kona tour, I might have booked that one. I just love the different honey tastes depending upon the flowers. I always use honey in my tea :p Oh well, just another reason to go back to Hawaii ;) , that and Waimea canyon in Kauai, which was cancelled due to the traffic accident blocking the road :(

What? There are 2 roads into the canyon. I don't understand why you could not get in. This was on day 1? We had gone to Poipu and decided to head into the canyon later in the day. When we got to the turn off ( not sure which highway it was ) a patrol car was pulled across the road and he told us the road was closed and to go back down the road a few miles and take the other road, which was in a small town. Had no problems on that road.

We bought a small 9oz one to take home called Macadamia Nut Blossom, and it has a definate nutty taste. You might check her website, big island bees dot com. I'll bet you can order some.

Hi Brenda,

We have booked with Mary Lous on Kona and Hilo and it was good to know that you can request where and what you would like to see. Greenwells was not on the agenda to see so I will remember that for the coffee farm. I love honey too and that sounds really interesting too. Hope it is just the four of us so we can go to these places. Did you go to the orchid farm? Thanks for the info Brenda.

Bonnie

Greenwells and Big Island Honey are on the Kona land tour. They also have one geared for snorklers. I believe they were both listed on the proposed land tour itinerary they emailed us before we booked. I would email them and express your interest and inquire if they are in fact on the tour, and if not, let them know you would be very interested in those stops. I am sure they will try to accommodate you if they can. Maybe you can pick up another 2 to 4 people from your roll call with similar interests if the tour is not full. Majority "rules";).

Hi Brenda,

Bonnie

I was wondering about the accident as well and if you missed it on our trip? We went through the town and took the road up around 1 p.m. and had no problems. There was an intersection about half way up where there was a police SUV blocking off a side road so maybe you were coming in from that direction if that is possible? Looked like a logging truck was involved in some type of incident.

What? There are 2 roads into the canyon. I don't understand why you could not get in. This was on day 1? We had gone to Poipu and decided to head into the canyon later in the day. When we got to the turn off ( not sure which highway it was ) a patrol car was pulled across the road and he told us the road was closed and to go back down the road a few miles and take the other road, which was in a small town. Had no problems on that road.

We bought a small 9oz one to take home called Macadamia Nut Blossom, and it has a definate nutty taste. You might check her website, big island bees dot com. I'll bet you can order some.

We were on a ship sponsored tour in a big bus which apparently could not take the other route. I believe Roberts also cancelled their tour. We did have a few hours tour and lunch at Poipu beach before going back to the ship around 2pm. Our driver said he could have taken us to another lookout but he was told to return to the ship right after lunch. We considered trying to book into the next day but glad we didn't since it was pouring rain.

I did buy some Macadamia Nut Blossom Honey at one of our stops with Marylou....it's all gone now :p

Thank you for reviewing a MaryLou tour. I was definitely going to book through her for a private tour for my family of 4 - just in case we wanted to spend more or less time at a site. Loving your whole review - we go Christmas week, and as I am a planner, I am ready to book our excursions now!

I feel like I started fairly early. I booked excursions that fill up fast, such as a helicopter ride, in October, started reserving cars in November, and contacted private tour companies in January. Even then the first tour company I contacted was full. Happy planning!

We were on a ship sponsored tour in a big bus which apparently could not take the other route. I believe Roberts also cancelled their tour. We did have a few hours tour and lunch at Poipu beach before going back to the ship around 2pm. Our driver said he could have taken us to another lookout but he was told to return to the ship right after lunch. We considered trying to book into the next day but glad we didn't since it was pouring rain.

I did buy some Macadamia Nut Blossom Honey at one of our stops with Marylou....it's all gone now :p

I'm sorry your days on Kauai didn't go as planned! It was the same way for us.... I don't even want to review that port as it makes me kind of sad. Like you said though, it's another good excuse to have to go back!

Before heading to Volcanoes National Park (VNP) Kea took us to a couple spots we wouldn't have gone on our own. We went to the boiling pots before Rainbow falls and also to a park where Akaka falls spills into the ocean.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'm sorry your days on Kauai didn't go as planned! It was the same way for us.... I don't even want to review that port as it makes me kind of sad. Like you said though, it's another good excuse to have to go back!

Sorry your time in Kauai did not go well either. Curious to know why, but will wait for your review of that island. ;)

Our time there was not all bad, lunch at Poipu beach was good, and we did enjoy the luau, the walk to the beach at Marriott the next day (after the rain) and the Na Pali sailby. :)

We were then on our way to Volcanoes National Park (VNP). The fee to get in was covered by the tour company. My husband and I visit a lot of National Parks and I like to take a picture of the entrance signs at each park. We sped right past the VNP sign and Kea was nice enough to turn around so i could snap my photo.

ry%3D400

Our first stop was at the Jaggar Museum to take in the sights. Although there wasn't any visible lava, the volcano was steaming and sounded like loud cracks of thunder. A park ranger said the noise was from the heat and pressure of the lava against the earth. There was a different odor in the air, but it wasn't bad. Nothing like Yellowstone. We spent some time here just looking and listening.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I didn't want to spend too much time in the museum, but it did have some good information, historical pictures, interesting displays and Hawaiian legends.

ry%3D400

Edited by sjmbruce

We drove to the area with steam vents. They were everywhere but seemed more numerous in this area.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

There was a trail you could take that followed a long row of steam vents. There were a lot of trails in the park and I think you could spend a lot of time there hiking everywhere instead of driving to the different areas. They had a few steam vents surrounded by guard rails so you could stand right next to one and feel the hot steam. I leaned over so I could get a natural facial :)

ry%3D400

There were a lot of interesting Hawaiian legends surrounding this area. Pele, pictured in my last post, is said to be the goddess of fire and the creator of the Hawaiian islands. This is a beautiful Ohia tree:

ry%3D400

The legend of the Ohia tree: The legend says that one day Pele met a handsome warrior named Ohia and she asked him to marry her. Ohia, however, had already pledged his love to Lehua. Pele was furious when Ohia turned down her marriage proposal, so she turned Ohia into a twisted tree. Lehua was heartbroken, of course. The gods took pity on Lehua and decided it was an injustice to have Ohia and Lehua separated. So, they turned Lehua into a flower on the Ohia tree so that the two lovers would be forever joined together. Hawaiian folklore says that if you pluck this flower you are separating the lovers, and so it will rain that day.

I found the legends fascinating and enjoyed hearing about them from our guide.

At one point Kea offered to let us walk while she drove to the Thurston Lava Tube so we could enjoy a short trail that was about half a mile long.

ry%3D400

There were tons of these ferns everywhere and I was simultaneously interested but weirded out by them.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We walked through the lava tube. I was slightly disappointed that the second portion of the tube that was unlit was closed due to cave ins. Of course for safety it made sense but I had brought flashlights to Hawaii specifically to go in the dark tube. The lit lava tube was a unique experience and I'm glad we did it.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We left VNP and went to Volcano Village which is just a few minutes outside the park. It has restaurants and some lodging. We stopped at the Eagles Lighthouse Cafe. It is a small, local restaurant with fresh, homemade food. Orders are made inside, then you take your food outside. The food was really good and we would not have stopped here or known about it, so I'm glad Kea brought us here.

We also went to the Volcano Winery where wine tasting cost $5. They were different than any wine I have ever tasted, especially the Hawaiian guava-grape. We bought two bottles to bring home with us and they offered thick bubble wrap bags to pack them in.

At this point we weren't in any danger of being late for all aboard, but we did have to start being choosy with our time. We decided to skip the normal stops to the orchid nursery and macadamia nut shop. We drove to Richardson's Beach Park and I was happy to see it was close to the ship. Sometimes turtles sunbathe on the rocks here, but unfortunately none were out.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was still a good way to end the day and we boarded the ship around 5:00. Security took our wine and gave us a receipt with a detailed description of the bottles. We headed to our cabin to shower and change as we had reservations at Jefferson's Bistro.

We bought a specialty dining plan that included three dinners for the two of us. I made reservations online for all three dinners, choosing the nights of Hilo and Kona as well as our final dinner on Friday night. At this point I was starving for a good meal. I felt gluttonous but we both ordered escargot and mussels. Keep some bread for dipping.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I absolutely loved my scallops and they were the best I have had in a long time.

ry%3D400

I didn't get a picture of my husband's lobster tail as it was gone before I even knew it was at the table. For dessert he had the creme brulee and loved it. I wasn't impressed with the fondue - the chocolate seemed cheap and it only came with fruit. The bananas and strawberries were good but it was odd dipping grapes and melon in chocolate.

ry%3D400

Our server was kind and attentive, a perfect compliment to the soft, romantic atmosphere. I would definitely recommend a meal here.

Edited by sjmbruce

Kona was the one port I was struggling to plan. For a long time, I had it penciled in as a beach day or perhaps time to snorkel. While I was communicating with Marylou's Tours about Hilo, they happened to mention that their son offered a snorkeling tour on the other side of the island. I originally only booked the Hilo tour, but the more I thought about it, the better a snorkeling tour in Kona sounded. There is a hotel within walking distance that rents cars, so renting a vehicle would be an easy process here. However, I priced out everything the tour came with (transportation, snorkel gear and lunch) and it was only around $30-40 more to do the tour. A few days after booking Hilo, I contacted them to book Kona as well.