Spice Route from Singapore 8th April 2017

mickoc

Hi, can anyone advise on any visas required for the above cruise. I do know that India requires a visa even though we are on a ship and not staying in any hotels. We also visit Thailand, Kuala Lumpur and Sri Lanka. Also what happens to any passengers onboard without the appropriate visas?

Thanks, Mick.

If you haven't a visa for India you may have to leave the ship early. Ship handles visas for Thailand, for those who need them ( because of nationality). Not sure about Indonesia and Sri Lanka.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Actually you should not be allowed to board a ship going to India without the proper Visa. You need to be sure to get a Visa that is put in your Passport and NOT an E-Visa. E-Visa's are not acceptable for being on a ship. And, should you fly into India to catch your ship and use an E-Visa for arrival by air, you will still need a real Visa in your Passport for the shipboard portion of your trip. Just because you arrived in India using an E-Visa, that E-Visa is still unacceptable for the ship.

I found an April 9, 2017 cruise, is this the one you mean? https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/voyage/1491710400/13-night-the-spice-route-voyage

You absolutely need an Indian Visa because you disembark in Mumbai and you have several ports in India. I would think Azamara would deny boarding in Singapore if someone did not have the proper Visa. When we checked in at the cruise terminal, they checked to make sure we had the proper Indian Visa and then took our passport and kept it for the duration except for brief moments when we had to appear for face to face immigration checks by Indian authorities in various ports. Azamara does a great job with all of the complexities involved.

We did the Spice Route 1 and 2 cruises this past November. The only Visa we needed ahead of time was the multi entry Visa for India. Azamara provided a on board Visa for one of the other countries (I think it was Sri Lanka) for a small fee.

When we were on a cruise that finished in Mumbai, people without Indian visas were able to join the ship but had to disembark on Dubai instead of Mumbai. We met someone with an Indian business visa because he owned a factory in India. He had to disembark in Dubai - Indian customs told Azamara his business visa did not count because he was on a cruise, so had to have a full tourist visa!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app