No more Australia?

Gig103

My first MSC cruise was last November and we really enjoyed it, so we wanted to use MSC for a cruise around/to Australia but can't find any! I know, from cruisers we talked to last time, that MSC used to cruise down under - is it possible that sailings just haven't been posted, or are sold out?

The goal here is for me to know if I should keep checking frequently or not :-)

I believe the only time MSC have come to Australia was a re-positioning from Europe in 2015. The ship was then chartered by an Australian TA for a cruise to Turkey (Gallipolli) for the centenary of the ANZAC landings there in WW1. We tried to get on that cruise but it was sold out over a year before. So maybe if you wait another 100 years there may be another sailing?

My first MSC cruise was last November and we really enjoyed it, so we wanted to use MSC for a cruise around/to Australia but can't find any! I know, from cruisers we talked to last time, that MSC used to cruise down under - is it possible that sailings just haven't been posted, or are sold out?

The goal here is for me to know if I should keep checking frequently or not :-)

MSC would be silly not to bring a ship or two to Australia for the summer season, there has been a huge increase in the number of Aussies cruising over the last few years.

We were on the Poesia Trans Atlantic in September 2010 when the captain announced that MSC was bringing a ship to Australia. A lot of Australian TAs push MSC so I am surprised it hasn't happened as yet.

it wouldn't surprise me if when some of the new ships come online MSC don't move some of the existing fleet in to new waters... Far East and Australia perhaps?

With the massive increase in capacity of the fleet from Meraviglia, SeaSide and their sister ships they will have to do something otherwise there will be multiple ships doing the same route

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Poesia Trans Atlantic in September 2010 when the captain announced that MSC was bringing a ship to Australia. A lot of Australian TAs push MSC so I am surprised it hasn't happened as yet.

Really - and the point of all this is??

it wouldn't surprise me if when some of the new ships come online MSC don't move some of the existing fleet in to new waters... Far East and Australia perhaps?

It looks like Splendida will home-port in China from 2018 as Meraviglia & Seaview will be based in the Med. Perhaps Lirica will remain in the region with her. MSC has already opened a new MSC Cruises office in Shanghai so it appears to be a longterm commitment in that region. It's estimated that by 2020 China's cruise market will make up 4.5 million! That's some market to get a toe-hold in!