Anybody use Xfinity Connect "Voice2go" onboard?

ohmark

Also the COMCAST App or SKYPE did not work on Riviera. They restricted user bandwidth because of the number of people using the Internet.

Paul, could you please be more specific as to whether this was your personal experience or something you were told? You personally tried to use Comcast Voice2go and it didn't work, or you were told this by somebody else, or you tried to use Skype and it didn't work or was told it didn't work and so assume Voice2go also wouldn't work? Thanks.

Edited by ohmark

Paul, could you please be more specific as to whether this was your personal experience or something you were told? You personally tried to use Comcast Voice2go and it didn't work, or you were told this by somebody else, or you tried to use Skype and it didn't work or was told it didn't work and so assume Voice2go also wouldn't work? Thanks.

Totally understand your need to get definitive information regarding the working or non-working of your app but, the ONLY definitive will be once you board your cruise and even then, usage will most probably differ day to day.

Internet and voice applications do vary from ship to ship, location to location, number of users on board, day to day, etc. so your expectation that reports will let you know if you are able to use your app or not really won't help as you may get to use your app and may not depending on the specific circumstances on the day or days you try to use it.

Hopefully the working or non-working of your app will not detract from the enjoyment of your cruise.

Totally understand your need to get definitive information regarding the working or non-working of your app but, the ONLY definitive will be once you board your cruise and even then, usage will most probably differ day to day.

Understood, but info would be helpful nevertheless. And, of course, you're right to advise not to let the usefulness of the app detract from the cruise. Thanks.

Edited by ohmark

Have both on my phone. Neither worked and internet was very slow.

My Office Communicator worked - sort of -- very poor audio.

I did a speed test Pings were 920 ms (would expect this on SATCOM) and speed was 0.050 mbps.. My old Modem could do better. :D

Dave is correct. I have good and bad experience with Skype on Oceania. MTN in their network management software can allow or not allow bandwidth hogging apps. In fact on Riviera - you tubes could not be streamed -- as they did not allow connection to the site. Better luck in past on the smaller R ships like Nautica.

Both

We will try Comcast

Viber only works for free when recipient has it too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy your trip!!!

Edited by PaulMCO

Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks. Even if the Voice2go phone audio doesn't work, I would still hope the Voice2go text function will work. Did you try the texting function?

Edited by ohmark

Thanks. Even if the Voice2go phone audio doesn't work, I would still hope the Voice2go text function will work. Did you try the texting function?

No -- didn't need to even try texting -- since I have email and texting apps (WhatApp)

• 1 year later...

Forgot to post here after returning from Australia/New Zealand. Turns out the Comcast Voice2Go app worked without fail for texting in and out. As to voice, very disappointing (at sea). Worked only intermittently and was not useful. On land, however, with data via either wifi or cellular, both voice and text worked fine.

• 2 months later...

The newer wifi calling technology for IPhone and certain others now seems superior to Xfinity. Had no problems with Verizon or ATT wifi calling onboard. Service was without problems and, of course, without charge as long as the wifi is free. However, on a different subject. the ATT onboard cruise package was both unnecessary (use wifi calling instead) and a complete failure as it didn't work during the entire Marina cruise. I had it refunded after the cruise was over. So, wifi calling good, ATT cruise package bad. (In deference to ATT, I'm guessing that there was something wrong with the ship's technology, not ATT's. Our Iphones never showed the logo for the ship's cellular signal.)

Edited by ohmark

Doesn't depend on the phone as long as it is a smart phone. It depends on if your provider allow the use of wifi phoning

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm no expert Dave, but according to this Cnet article, it's just the opposite. "All four major US carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon) provide built-in Wi-Fi calling." https://www.cnet.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-wifi-calling/

Also note that the article points out that the carriers have different policies as to whether wifi calling is free for international calls to the U.S. For example, "Unless you have an iPhone running iOS 9.3, both AT&T and Verizon charge for international Wi-Fi calls, whether you buy an international plan or pay per use." I'm assuming that quote pertains to international calls TO the U.S., (and not international calls from the U.S., which would be billed as whatever the carrier's plan provides for international calls originating in the U.S.)