Pool Deck Barbeques/Cookouts?

Randyk47

Has Silversea stopped/forced to stop the pool deck barbeques/cookouts? It may have been covered or mentioned in another thread(s) but I can't easily find it. The last I remember was in Kotor a couple of years ago and it was truly magical as we were docked with those magnificence mountains rising so steeply above us. I really didn't think much about it until I was over in the Holland America section of the board and it was posted that a negative health report had supposedly forced them to discontinue their on-deck cookouts. Made me think back and I realized we've not had a cookout on our last two SS cruises. ?????

Randy, we had a succulent cookout during our 16 day TA in the Spirit last November. However, there was none during our 12 day cruise in the Whisper last month.

Weird. Our last was in the Wind in 2014 then nothing on a 16-day Spirit in 2015 and nothing on a 10-day cruise on the Wind in 2016. I should have added that the wonderful Kotor setting notwithstanding we've enjoyed the cookouts and succulent would be an appropriate description.

They told us when in waters that may be considered affected by the Americans or others that have the same rules, that they will not have an outdoor BBQ. It comes down to no sneeze guards and not proper temperatures maintained.

Same reason the sandwiches and cookies are no longer provided in back bar in a lot of voyages.

They told us when in waters that may be considered affected by the Americans or others that have the same rules, that they will not have an outdoor BBQ. It comes down to no sneeze guards and not proper temperatures maintained.

Same reason the sandwiches and cookies are no longer provided in back bar in a lot of voyages.

That kind of works for our 2016 Wind cruise which started in San Juan and ended in Fort Lauderdale. Doesn't work for our 2015 Spirit cruise which was in the Med unless one of the countries we touched has similar rules or guidelines.

On the recent World Cruise, they had the on deck barbecue, but it was not buffet style. Waiters came around with various courses from which to choose. I thought it was not as enjoyable as the buffet style.

On the Spirit TA last November they served up a themed buffet most days on the pool deck as in Mexican, German, Indian for example....whilst one could go and help self the food was covered and chefs were there to assist....but on one occasion a full deck BBQ was offered with various food stations around the deck doing cook outs....it was quite fabulous albeit only at lunchtime.

The current after dinner chocolate party also on the pool deck is a must if only for the atmosphere.

Sophia ☺️

Miss.S, I didn't know we were both in the same cruise! Of course, we had not heard about each other then. Yes, we really enjoyed the cookouts! The sous chef was Spanish and prepared a great paella.

Small world Cam......agree about the paella....it was all delicious and l loved all the great choices on offer.....trouble is once I've had a large lunch l don't have room for dinner then get hungry late night so many a time I've ordered a club sandwich in suite before retiring !! ☺️

On the recent World Cruise, they had the on deck barbecue, but it was not buffet style. Waiters came around with various courses from which to choose. I thought it was not as enjoyable as the buffet style.

This was meant to happen on our leg of the recent World Cruise, but the weather turned inclement and luckily for us it was cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never experienced one of these BBQ's, and a fan of being sanitary...however, seems like this might be taking food safety too far.

Coming out of the world of medicine we too are very sanitary aware but agree that there are times when officials overdo. We have had, as MissSophia mentioned, small themed buffets at lunch on the pool deck and while nice they are nowhere like the full blown barbeques.