New Zealand ports hire car question????

HI guys.

Going on the solstice in January for a 12 nighter to nz. Our group wishes to hire cars in some of the ports. Can any recommend a great hire company we can contact and how much per day is normal car insurance.

Cheers bob.

HI guys.

Going on the solstice in January for a 12 nighter to nz. Our group wishes to hire cars in some of the ports. Can any recommend a great hire company we can contact and how much per day is normal car insurance.

Cheers bob.

I used Rite Price Rentals in the port of Tauranga early this year and they were great.

Clean, recent model, low km vehicles and they provide a pick up/drop off shuttle from the ship to the agency which is a short distance away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest you just google car hire for the particular port you are visiting and research from there.

I would also book early as demand is normally high and prices will get higher the longer you wait.

Also note that some companies will hit you with the "prime location" fee as well as trying the extra insurances and such. I am yet to see a car rental business that isn't in a prime location.

Car hire companies will often suggest you pay extra to cover the deductible on their vehicle insurance. We paid this on several hire cars over the years, then realised it is covered in many travel insurance policies. Many cover the insurance deductible up to $4,000 or so - probably as much or more than you need.

I suggest you just google car hire for the particular port you are visiting and research from there.

I would also book early as demand is normally high and prices will get higher the longer you wait.

Also note that some companies will hit you with the "prime location" fee as well as trying the extra insurances and such. I am yet to see a car rental business that isn't in a prime location.

Could the 'prime location' refer to locations like an airport? We have noticed that in many cities, it costs more to hire a car from the airport depot than one in town. I do not believe this applies in New Zealand and we did not find any mention of "prime location" in our NZ hire contracts.

Could the 'prime location' refer to locations like an airport? We have noticed that in many cities, it costs more to hire a car from the airport depot than one in town. I do not believe this applies in New Zealand and we did not find any mention of "prime location" in our NZ hire contracts.
Like I said, it was an extra and not listed as an 'up front cost of hiring a car' from that or any other location and when asked which locations were not prime locations, there was no answer, just do you want the car or not. I paid the fee ($46 NZD) it was Picton.

I suppose my argument is why would you have a rental place anywhere but a prime location (where people want to hire cars).

Car hire companies will often suggest you pay extra to cover the deductible on their vehicle insurance. We paid this on several hire cars over the years, then realised it is covered in many travel insurance policies. Many cover the insurance deductible up to $4,000 or so - probably as much or more than you need.

Good point, many do not realise this and pay twice.

Our overseas travel insurance covers the reduced excess option.