First Time Cruiser - Advice/Tips and A few questions

lookin2cruise2017

So, I know NOTHING about cruises other than the little bit I have seen since we've decided to take one. It is all so new and this was somewhat of a last min booking. We go in April, just recently booked. That's last min for me as I am a planner. :o

We are doing 5 days on the Carnival Elation to the Bahamas. It stops at Freeport, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. Since this trip was kind of a last minute decision, we dont have a ton of money to spend on Shore Excursions. I should mention we are traveling with our 5 year old daughter, who has anxiety issues and mild aspergers. She is afraid of a lot of things, especially when they are new. So we are trying to find things we can do that dont cost us an arm and a leg and arent too "new" for her. Like horseback riding in the water would never work for us. I would love to do the sting ray excursion, but she is terrified just looking at pictures. She wants to do the dolphins swim, but she cant really swim well and has to wear a life jacket, and she seems scared at the idea of going in the water with them. So thats probably a no too.

We really just want to find somewhere we can sit on the beach, swim, and relax. Do we have to pay to do that? It seems like HMC we should be able to just find a spot on the beach after getting off the ship, but what about the other ports? Will we have to take a taxi to the beach? We have thought about a day pass to a resort where she can go in the pool and to the beach. But they seem so expensive for the use of a pool? Do any include food?

Do you have any suggestions for "low key" excursions that are on the cheaper side? Atlantis was something I really wanted to do but at $500 for 3 of us, I dont think we can swing that.

Also, any tips you have for crusing with someone who is a little anxious or crusing with children would be appreciated! I just like to know what to expect so I can prepare her!

Thank you!

Check out the ports of call boards here. There are a ton of things that you can do in those ports that cost next to nothing. Find a public beach, rent some chairs, and enjoy the day. Take a taxi tour. You will be amazed at the ideas that you will generate just looking through the posts there.

Since Half Moon Cay is the cruise line's private island, it's a total beach day!

Nassau and Freeport are so cruise centric, finding private tours or just doing it on your own is the way to go.

So, I know NOTHING about cruises other than the little bit I have seen since we've decided to take one. ... We are doing 5 days on the Carnival Elation to the Bahamas. It stops at Freeport, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. ... we are traveling with our 5 year old daughter, who has anxiety issues and mild aspergers. She is afraid of a lot of things, especially when they are new. ....

We really just want to find somewhere we can sit on the beach, swim, and relax. Do we have to pay to do that? It seems like HMC we should be able to just find a spot on the beach after getting off the ship, but what about the other ports? Will we have to take a taxi to the beach?

Also, any tips you have for crusing with someone who is a little anxious or crusing with children would be appreciated! I just like to know what to expect so I can prepare her!

Thank you!

As suggested, go to the Ports of Call forum for each of those ports and read there and ask questions there.

Also, there is a Family Forum where you can get lots of help with your questions about your daughter. There is also a Disability forum where you might get help.

You are right....Atlantis is way over-priced....you do NOT need to pay to go to a beach in Nassau (except perhaps, taxi)...I'd advise you to pick up a guidebook from your library (no charge for that!), and read up on the Bahamas. There are some hotels there that will allow you to use their pool and beach area for a small fee...some include lunch! I would save the "swimming with sea life" until she's older.

Freeport is an industrial port, so you will need transportation to get anywhere, but the guidebook will point you in the right direction.

It's totally doable to NEVER book an excursion on a cruise....we rarely do anything that requires a guide!

HMC is a beach day...lunch is brought from the ship and served on the beach....loungers are everywhere....and you could even bring a cheap blow up float to defray the costs of renting "floating mats"!

And, take your daughter to the "open house" they have for the kid's club on the 1st evening....that's when EVERYONE is "new"...she may enjoy the activities....they are very good with all kids!

The "guidebook at a library" never gets old and makes me laugh every time. I love it!

Also keep in mind, you don't have to get off of the ship at the ports. You can stay on and enjoy the emptiness of the ship and have the pool to yourselves or very few other people.

I agree with cb; take her to the kids club open house on the first night. I have a DD who suffers from anxiety. Her first cruise she turned 3 yo on the ship. I took her to the open house, thinking there is no way this kid will ever leave my side. She fell in love with her counselor (she still remembers her name - Jelly Bean Julie) and wanted to stay right then and there. In fact, I just about had to drag her away that night, promising to get to the center when they first open. All the counselors I have encountered over the years are young teachers or new graduates with degrees in teaching; they know how to handle all types of children.