Test cruise, LA/SAN 4-7 nights for 2 adults and 4 year old, late April-May 2017

Jaime C

We have travelled internationally extensively, but have never done anything more than a harbor or dinner cruise.

I'd love to do a a 12-16 night cruise, but think I'd like to take an inexpensive 4-7 night loop cruise first to make sure that we all enjoy it.

I'm thinking a cruise out of the LA or SAN area, that we can drive to from AZ. Carnival seems to have inexpensive ones, and I thought it would be a good to try a short Mexican or other loop cruise.

As I have a very flexible schedule, and no school to deal with, late April or May seems ideal. I see quite a few last minute deals, and am a Costco Exec member, USAA member and could join AARP if they offer a good discount.

Any pitfalls to look out for?

Keep in mind that short cruises can sometimes be booze cruises. This would not give you an accurate representation of a 12-16 night cruise. If possible, I would start with a 7-day cruise.

Roz

Thanks for the responses. I'll likely do a last minute cruise, probably a Carnival or Princess.

There are so many options out there, it's difficult to decide on the most important aspect of the trip. Food, kid's club, or cabin.

As someone who has been a top member of many airline and hotel programs, the cruise programs mostly seem underwhelming unless you've done dozens of cruises.

Thanks for the responses. I'll likely do a last minute cruise, probably a Carnival or Princess.

There are so many options out there, it's difficult to decide on the most important aspect of the trip. Food, kid's club, or cabin.

As someone who has been a top member of many airline and hotel programs, the cruise programs mostly seem underwhelming unless you've done dozens of cruises.

For me the most important aspect is the ITINERARY and then PRICE.

Keep in mind that short cruises can sometimes be booze cruises. This would not give you an accurate representation of a 12-16 night cruise. If possible, I would start with a 7-day cruise.

Roz

Good advice. Anything less than 7 days IMHO is not a real cruise.

Well, I booked a 4 day cruise. I know it's not a real one, but should let us know if we want to do longer ones.

I'm tempted by the North-South America 15-20 day cruises, so figure if that goes well, then onto linger cruises later in the year.

Our child will start school in 16 months, so want to get some longer cruises in the off season under our belt, if all goes well.