Southampton Port Hotels

sunny seas

Hi Sunny

We usually stay at "The New Place" hotel in Shirrel Heath, Southampton. For £199 you get superb evening meal, comfy room, really good breakfast, taxi to the ship (and return at cruise end) 14 nights on site parking. Last time I looked at port cruise parking it would have cost me ~£160 so I think the hotel stay represent good value. Going down the day before embarkation is a really good, stress free way to start your holiday

Thanks for this it's really useful. I've given them a call apparently it's about 35 mins in the taxi but as you say the rate including parking, meals and taxi is certainly good value. I think we will cancel our current hotel booking and try it on our next cruise.

Edited by Florry

We always stay in the Holiday Inn, just up the road from the terminals. They do good deals for staying one night and parking for 14 days.

However, yesterday I was in Southampton for a football match and went into the wetherspoons near the Ocean terminal. It is the best wetherspoons in Southampton. While spoons are not 5 star, the breakfast is fine and good value. As it was lunch time I had a steak, it was excellent.

I'm not sure I would go to a spoons for a evening meal, but each to his own

• 3 weeks later...

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue, we have also stayed at the Novotel. Both lovely but HI nearer docks and their park and stay cruise package is better value.

Without fail we always eat at La Regata, 10 minutes walk from H.I opposite Red Funnel, lovely food and atmosphere.

Has anyone stayed at the Mercure Dolphin in the High Street? I know it's an older property - which doesn't bother me. But the neighborhood and proximity to Ocean Terminal are important. Thanks!

It does get very hot during the night as they don't have any air con. I have stayed there twice but only because of the price of the cruise package with parking. It wouldnt be my choice for hotel only.

We've just got back from our cruise on Ventura. We stayed the night before at the Ibis hotel, which is about 5/10minutes in a taxi to ocean terminal. We also had an amazing evening meal at TGI Fridays but there's many restaurants in a close walk.

We use the cruise special offer at the Montagu Arms in the New Forest. You can leave the car there and they take you to the ship and pick you up on your return. Food is great, it has a Michelin star, so is far better than anything on board. And the New Forest is a nice way to spend the day before the cruise. Not cheap but you are on holiday.

Has anyone stayed at the Mercure Dolphin in the High Street? I know it's an older property - which doesn't bother me. But the neighborhood and proximity to Ocean Terminal are important. Thanks!

I have stayed at the Dolphin twice this year and it was fine. We chose it primarily for the price and the on site parking package which beat everything else in Southampton! It is an older hotel but our rooms were comfortable and clean - not particularly large but fine for a one night stay. The staff are lovely. The breakfast was very good too, but we ate out in the evening. 5 minutes in a taxi to the terminal. Close to shops and restaurants - 5 mins walk to West Quay shopping centre and 5 minutes in the opposite direction to La Regatta (popular place to eat).

I think some of the rooms at the front of the hotel can be noisy at the weekends as they front on to the main road - we had rooms at the back both times.

Hope that helps.

We use the cruise special offer at the Montagu Arms in the New Forest. You can leave the car there and they take you to the ship and pick you up on your return. Food is great, it has a Michelin star, so is far better than anything on board. And the New Forest is a nice way to spend the day before the cruise. Not cheap but you are on holiday.

Were you happy with the arrangements for this ? Was the transfer to and from Southampton OK ? What time was it ?

Thanks

Edited by Host Hattie

I felt my car was pretty secure at the Dolphin. Parking is on site, within a walled area and 24 hr cctv monitored by the hotel. I was certainly happier leaving my car there than at the Holiday Inn.

At the end of the day, its a car...and I left nothing in it to steal.:)

We felt our car was safe here too and the gate is locked at 11 pm.

Were you happy with the arrangements for this ? Was the transfer to and from Southampton OK ? What time was it ?

Thanks

We didn't pay the £20 extra for the transfers on our package but preferred to use our own taxi there and back again at the cost of £6 each way.

It all worked as it should. They asked what time we wanted to arrive at the dock and got us there at that time. We requested to be picked up at 9 in the morning on arrival day and the hotel mini bus was there as we walked off the ship.

Only hold up was road blocked by the ponies in the New Forest! We will be doing this again whenever we are starting off at Southampton.

Just checked the Montagu Arms website and it looks as good as ever. Free parking for up to 4 weeks. Well that makes it a brilliant deal.

Go to Special Offers then Cruise and Stay.

Let's have no more of this Premier Inn and Wetherspoons!

Just checked the Montagu Arms website and it looks as good as ever. Free parking for up to 4 weeks. Well that makes it a brilliant deal.

It all worked as it should. They asked what time we wanted to arrive at the dock and got us there at that time. We requested to be picked up at 9 in the morning on arrival day and the hotel mini bus was there as we walked off the ship.

Only hold up was road blocked by the ponies in the New Forest! We will be doing this again whenever we are starting off at Southampton.

Thanks, it looks like a good option.

I might be reporting back next month !

Premier Inn and Wetherspoons are fine by me:D