Amazon Interlude on Regatta March 2015

possumpete

This was our first Oceania cruise and I had lots of questions, so here is my experience. We had booked a B2 guaranteed since there was no choice when we booked. About a week before we sailed we were allocated 6069( we do believe even number cabins were better on this route - more to see) so were very happy. Checkin at 1pm was a slow process of over an hour. If you can, come later since the cabins were not available until 2.30pm anyway, although food was available. Laundry worked well - I never had to wait. Tokens from reception $2 to wash and $2 to dry, big loads, total time 1hour. Hand sanitiser, soft drinks and water readily available. The wine package of 7 bottles for $297.50 worked best for us. (no 18% service fee added) The only problem was sometimes it took a very long time to find your order especially if they were storing a part bottle(best to drink it all at one sitting!!!). There was no problem bringing any alcohol on board to drink in your cabin at any time(ports included) .The coffee in Baristas was much better than in any of the food areas. The dining room menu delivered with the ship newsletter was great to plan your eating. Your home country headline news also delivered. We had no problem booking to eat in the specialty restaurants (we were entitled to 4 nights which was enough for us). With this itinerary we really enjoyed eating in the Terrace Cafe, always outside, and found the buffet food much better than expected, maybe because you could get freshly grilled lobster as well as meat and fish at most meals?often there was the same dishes as being served in the Grand Main Dining room, albeit not served as nicely!

Food at Waves was fine but we often found it too hot/stuffy to eat there. Eating at the Grand Dining Room meant nicer dressing and no shorts for men and it took longer but it was good place to meet other passengers- we always had a shared table which worked well.

Our main disappointment was with the port information and excursions. Our only other ocean cruise was with Azamara in 2014 and they did a presentation before every port with photos and information plus what their excursions provided. They also used the cabin TV's to inform. I am sure others joined us in booking more ship excursions when they saw what was included. Regatta did very little and even when we wanted to book were not very helpful. Yes I had pre booked a couple of private tours and done quite some research but in this area it wasn't easy. There were usually local tourism people handing out maps and limited information as you left the ship but this did not allow much preplanning.

The 25% tax on any purchases( mainly drinks but the shop was very quiet!) made in Brazilian waters was a bit of a shock and we were there for nearly 2 weeks. It made a $6 beer cost nearly $10.

The entertainment was average but it is a small ship. I found the 'enrichment ' lectures very dry and too detailed. They were replayed on the cabin TV's but since there was no program it was usually luck if you caught them.

The cabins were fine with lots of storage and the staff very helpful. Main problem was the low temperature of the AC all over the ship. I found I needed a jacket always when inside. We were discouraged from leaving the cabin balcony door open to help adjust this due to humidity and bugs, particularly when in the Amazon.

Ladies, I had real problems with my hair which I put down to the desalinated water- pack your conditioner!

We were a little disappointed in the Amazon experience but that was probably because our expectations were too high for this end of the river. The ports were not very exciting and we saw little wildlife or 'jungle' even on excursions.

Hope this helps other new cruisers and apologies if I am repeating things that are elsewhere on this forum. We would happily cruise again with Oceania assuming the itinerary was right.

Our main disappointment was with the port information and excursions. Our only other ocean cruise was with Azamara in 2014 and they did a presentation before every port with photos and information plus what their excursions provided. They also used the cabin TV's to inform. I am sure others joined us in booking more ship excursions when they saw what was included. Regatta did very little and even when we wanted to book were not very helpful. Yes I had pre booked a couple of private tours and done quite some research but in this area it wasn't easy. There were usually local tourism people handing out maps and limited information as you left the ship but this did not allow much preplanning.

The 25% tax on any purchases( mainly drinks but the shop was very quiet!) made in Brazilian waters was a bit of a shock and we were there for nearly 2 weeks. It made a $6 beer cost nearly $10.

Thanks for your informative posting. I have several questions.

What private shore excursions did you book? Would you recommend them to others?

The 25% tax is a bit of a shock! We were in Brazil in 2007 and again in 2010 and did not experience this. They added 25% to your drinks on board? and your gift shop purchases on board? OUCH!!

Surprised to hear of the poor preparation for ports. This is different from our Oceania experience though we were on bigger ships.

I am sorry you were disappointed. We did this itinerary on Regatta thre years ago. We were not disappointed because we did not expect an oceangoing ship to show us deep jungle. It was still very interesting with the meeting of the waters, the city of Manaus, and the wild Boi Bumba show in Parintins.

On a different trip to Ecuador, we had the true Amazon jungle experience in a lodge run by locals and only accessible by a motorized and a paddled canoe. That's when we saw many animals and birds. It was clean, had hot running water in a private modern bathroom and cabins overlooking a small lake. The other option is a luxury river cruise boat on the Napo, an Amazon river tributary.

We were on the 2nd Amazon cruise O did and we loved it..it was all a surprise to us so no disappointments..its a different kind of cruise and we enjoyed each day..seeing natives was very different and some of the ports were very primitive..

Jancruz1

The 26 day Amazon cruise in November, 2006 was our very first Oceania cruise, our first cruise longer than 12 days, and our first foray to South America.

We decided the cruise line was phenomenal and it has been our overwhelming favorite ever since. Our TA, very close to Oceania, had just exited the ship the day we embarked, and she left word for the staff to "look out" for us. They did, fabulous service, and dinner with the inestimable Captain Flokos.

The introduction to South America was an eye-opener, and our next two years included a transAtlantic to Rio with stops in Brazil, and the Cape Horn cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. We'll be touching many of the same spots next year on the World Cruise, and we can't wait.

The ports on the Amazon were more than interesting -- a bit of jungle in Santarem, the village at Boca del Valerio, meeting of the waters and giant lily pads near Manaus (and the opera house), and the Boi Bumba show in Parintins.

All worth doing at least once, and very memorable.

But, frankly, the Amazon itself was -- not quite disappointing, because one should experience 1,000 miles of the largest river in the world, but still somewhat of a let-down. It's really w i d e (probably 6 miles) with very little development and even less variety in landscape. We expected the biggest benefit in having a balcony (our first) was being able to see one side of the river going upstream, and the other side going back -- except both were the same. Do NOT forget binoculars if you want to see the slightest hint of a village, or one of the tiny river boats that serve as local transportation, or one of the elusive Pink Dolphins (they do exist!).

The actual highlight of the cruise, for us (and the least expected) was Devils Island.

Thanks for your informative posting. I have several questions.

What private shore excursions did you book? Would you recommend them to others?

The 25% tax is a bit of a shock! We were in Brazil in 2007 and again in 2010 and did not experience this. They added 25% to your drinks on board? and your gift shop purchases on board? OUCH!!

Surprised to hear of the poor preparation for ports. This is different from our Oceania experience though we were on bigger ships.

We had a private full day tour with driver and guide in Rio for 4 of us which covered all we had hoped for and more but we did not go up Sugarloaf.

In Recife also had a private guide with car for Olinda and the city. Would recommend both of these.

Our tour with Gil Serique in Santarem was not as good as we had expected - partially due to a change in the ship's itinerary but mostly not providing the tour advertised with way too many people booked.

Overall I would say it was probably the fact that in 14 days we stopped in 7 ports and in several of those there was not much to see or do. In a new place for us we would normally spend as much time as possible out and about and while we enjoyed every moment of our time on Regatta, we spent more time there than planned. Of course there is probably no alternatives on this river and I am sure the cruise companies have picked the best places to visit.

The Brazilian tax was described as 'reciprocity' for the U.S. And while annoying most worked around it and spent in the gift shop as soon as we left Brazil! Drinks just had to be accepted and drunk slowly!!!the locals knew nothing about it so it must only affect cruise ships.