Disembarking

allentownahoy

I am new to P&O and was wondering what time disembarkation takes place ( from when to when) if not doing self walk off with luggage. Is it done by deck, status with the cruise line or do they ask when you want to get off. I will be arranging transport to Heathrow from Southampton and need some idea of what time to schedule the transport. I will be on Britannia.

Thank you.

It is between 8:30am and 10:30am. You get allocated a time, but can ask to change it at Reception which many people do. You are allocated a place to wait in, and only in that place do they announce when you can disembark. There are no ship wide announcements anymore.

The only exceptions to this are Suite passengers and Ligurian Tier passengers who can get off whenever they wish - most of them get off as early as possible.

Self-disembarkation, of which there are now a large number, starts around 7:15/7:30am and is supposed to last until 8:15am.

Not really wanting to start another "bash the dissident" argument, but we have never gone to the allocated assembly lounge, we just join the end of the queue once we have finished breakfast, and have never been turned away.

However we always seek to have a time between 8:30 & 9:00 and that's normally the time we head for the gangway.

Not really wanting to start another "bash the dissident" argument, but we have never gone to the allocated assembly lounge, we just join the end of the queue once we have finished breakfast, and have never been turned away.

However we always seek to have a time between 8:30 & 9:00 and that's normally the time we head for the gangway.

That fair enough but it wont work if everybody did it.

Lol John

That fair enough but it wont work if everybody did it.

Lol John

I don't see why it wouldn't, if everyone turned up within 15 mins of their allotted time it would probably work far better than the silly lounge system and school crocodile lines being led from the lounge to the gangway. Of course if everyone wanted 8:30 - 9:00am it could be a problem.;p:cool:

Thanks for the info. I cannot do self disembark. I am wondering if a 4 pm flight at Heathrow would be tight if I end up with a 10:30 disembark.. I plan to arrange car service to airport. Here in the US we are to arrive at the airport 3 hrs ahead for international flights. Is this true in the UK as well?

I don't see why it wouldn't, if everyone turned up within 15 mins of their allotted time it would probably work far better than the silly lounge system and school crocodile lines being led from the lounge to the gangway. Of course if everyone wanted 8:30 - 9:00am it could be a problem.;p:cool:

I am sorry John, I originally thought you were saying that irrespective of what disembarkation time you are allotted you simply join the end of the queue of the first disembarking group.

Apologies, John

Thanks for the info. I cannot do self disembark. I am wondering if a 4 pm flight at Heathrow would be tight if I end up with a 10:30 disembark.. I plan to arrange car service to airport. Here in the US we are to arrive at the airport 3 hrs ahead for international flights. Is this true in the UK as well?

Don't worry. You will have no problem whatsoever. Simply go to reception a few days before the end of your cruise and tell them the time you wish to disembark. In recent years you have been able to change your allocated time to a time to suit you with no problem. 3hrs before an international flight is about right here as well and Heathrow is only 2 hours from Southampton (max).

All coach passengers are given a venue, where an officer is in touch with the disembarkation team. They direct you when the team are ready, usually first after luggage is ready in the hall. About 8:50 ish.

Hope this helps.:)

Don't worry. You will have no problem whatsoever. Simply go to reception a few days before the end of your cruise and tell them the time you wish to disembark. In recent years you have been able to change your allocated time to a time to suit you with no problem. 3hrs before an international flight is about right here as well and Heathrow is only 2 hours from Southampton (max).

Thanks so much.

One more question. How long does it take to disembark, claim baggage and go through customs and immigration at the cruise terminal?

Coming off Britannia this morning was an absolute breeze. Was given a disembarkation time of 8.45am, but asked to leave the cabin by 8.00am latest. Went to the theatre (our designated waiting point) at about 7.45am and was told that we could leave immediately. Slight queue to buzz the cruise cards getting off the ship, but then a saunter down to collect the luggage, and out to pick up the car. Smoothest and easiest process I've witnessed.

It is between 8:30am and 10:30am. You get allocated a time, but can ask to change it at Reception which many people do. You are allocated a place to wait in, and only in that place do they announce when you can disembark. There are no ship wide announcements anymore.

Is the last disembarkation always as late as 10.30? So if I book a car to pick us up at 1l.00 would that be ok? Our flight from LHR T3 is 5.00 pm - don't want to get there too early.

Is the last disembarkation always as late as 10.30? So if I book a car to pick us up at 1l.00 would that be ok? Our flight from LHR T3 is 5.00 pm - don't want to get there too early.

I think it might depend on the ship...the larger ones yes, the smaller ones maybe a bit earlier, but we are never in a hurry to get off, so tend to hang around until the ship seems to be nearly empty and staff are asking us to go! So even if your debark time is earlier, you dont actually have to go then. And the later you get into the baggage hall, the easier it is to find your luggage....:D It is a bit of a scrum early on!

I would say 11.00 for your taxi is fine, although there is not normally much seating in the debark areas so you wouldn't want to be hanging around there for too long.

Have a great cruise..

I think it might depend on the ship...the larger ones yes, the smaller ones maybe a bit earlier, but we are never in a hurry to get off, so tend to hang around until the ship seems to be nearly empty and staff are asking us to go! So even if your debark time is earlier, you dont actually have to go then. And the later you get into the baggage hall, the easier it is to find your luggage....:D It is a bit of a scrum early on!

I would say 11.00 for your taxi is fine, although there is not normally much seating in the debark areas so you wouldn't want to be hanging around there for too long.

Have a great cruise..

Thanks for the info