NFL Sunday Ticket

Smooth Sailing

Is this another one of those "can I bring my crock pot" questions? IF this is a serious question, the answer is, of course you cannot get Direct TV on a cruise ship. They don't have a dish for that and the cruise lines aren't going to pay huge prices for access even if they could.

We need to stop this post NOW, or the secret will get out. If you hook up your crock pot to the cabin TV, you will be able to get all of the NFL games, the World Series, NASCAR races, final four of the NCAA and of course the lumberjack challenge finals.

Hey Guys

Give me a break - I'm trying to be serious here. If I dump half the junk out of the DW's suitcase - she always packs way more then she needs - I'll have room for the dish and receiver. Once in our cabin - I'll be able to attach the dish to our balcony railing - I know I will have to position it correctly - I've got the little thingy to help with this. Next I'll connect the TV to the receiver and then the dish to the receiver - Oh yeah - can't forget the remote - now just click on the power and I've got it. My only problem now is making the arraingments for our Tailgate party - does anyone have a Crock Pot.

Well... I've installed a few hundred of those DirecTV dishes and also have some technical background. do you really think the ship is going to sit still long enough for you to lock in on the signal for more than 2 seconds before you have to adjust it again? Now if your suitcase is big enough, you might be able to bring one of those automatic az/el compensating motor driven mounts. Then you also have to bring a bracket that will hold the whole thing out about 6 ft beyond the railing so you can get a clear view of the bird regardless of which side of the ship you are on.

Since DirecTV is designed to cover the continental US, the signal falls off rapidly outside of the country, so you need to bring a larger dish, at least 1.2meter instead of the .75meter and a low noise amplifier. I think that suitcase just turned into a steamer trunk.

I suspect hooking the crockpot to the TV will provide as good as, or maybe better, reception as the DirecTV setup. I'd like to have the balcony next to yours, though. I'd be laughin' my a$$ off watching you try to tune that sucker in and keep it stable.

Grumpy

First as an Electrical Engineer I agree with the above post. Depending on what satelite your feed is comming from you might just get reception when the ship is stationary assumming your on the right side of the ship so you could align it. You won't get any feed through several thousand tons of steel if your not. Assumming the ship moves along at about 18-20 kts you would find your reception lasting about 4 minutes at sea at best based on a beam width of about 2 degrees. I guess my big question is why are you cruising if missing one or two days of football is such a significant emotional event for you???

Archived