Questions on booking with points and cash on Southwest

NOSaints1

• 4 weeks later...
What about IROPs? WN does not interline when they have problems? (put you on another carrier)

Many of the old interline agreements are now expired. In some instances, they will do it, but these days, they are doing it less and less. The contracts of carriage allow them to either put you on the next available flight or just refund you the flight. There was a big deal made last year when the interline agreements were not renewed. AA was sending passengers out MUCH more than it was receiving them, and United and Delta had enough of it. As a result, many of the interline agreements were ended.

We're cruising on the Dream out of New Orleans in April, we've got enough points for one way on Southwest to New Orleans for two people, can you book using points on the way down and book a return flight paying cash for the return flight? And how does it work and is this a good way of booking a flight without spending a lot of money. Our Hilton hotel was 400 a night so we used 120,000 points for the 3 nights prior.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Flights for your cruise in April won't go on sale on Southwest until probably August, maybe September.

In your situation, I recommend buying as two one way flights. Depending on when your cruise is, you may run into two separate release dates. In which case, I REALLY recommend two separate one way flights.

If the schedule extension releases both ways at once, look at the flights and see what makes the most sense. Buy the direction that lets you on points, then buy the other direction using cash. Open a couple of different private browsing windows on your desktop to be sure it all works as expected. I buy the Early Bird Check In on my return flight, so that it checks me in automatically and assigns my boarding number. I generally don't buy EBCI in the way down, when I have access to my phone/computer at T-24.

• 3 weeks later...

SouthWest has also become our preferred airline. We have found that the boarding works as well as airlines with ticketed seats -- as long as you can check-in immediately at the 24 hour mark to get in at least the B group. Flying out of Milwaukee, fares tend to be less than other airlines, especially when factoring in no bag fees. Love it that when we cruise, we can check a carryon with our snorkel equipment as a 2nd bag!

Not sure how the app is laid out, but on the website, if you click on the Flight Schedules, it is listed at the top of the page.

I need to know when they are opening for June 2018! Trying to decide if our outbound flight to Anchorage will be all Alska or RDU to Seattle on SW and Seattle to Anchorage on Alaska. Using part points and part cash and want to pick the best deal. :)