Magic & Unlimited Internet

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:06 AM.
#1
Just a place
341 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Ok, this seems hard to believe, but skimming through FB, I saw a post concerning unlimited internet on the Magic for just $39.99 per week, anyone else know anything about this rate? Has anyone heard if it is going fleet wide yet?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nothing here.
#2
used to be North of NYC/Landed SOUTH
1,676 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by canner2u
Ok, this seems hard to believe, but skimming through FB, I saw a post concerning unlimited internet on the Magic for just $39.99 per week, anyone else know anything about this rate? Has anyone heard if it is going fleet wide yet?
Just got back. It was $99 for the week down from $119 the previous week. Did not see anything about $40 for the week.

The speed was fast on the Magic, though others have complained that the speed on other ships is very slow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CruisefromNY
Anna
Wear pink and fight like a girl!


#3
Katy/West Houston, TX
11 Posts
Joined May 2012
It was $69 on the 9/2 sailing. I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it, but that's amazing how low if it's true. I'm really glad we didn't buy it if they just keep lowering it. I'm sure the folks that bought it at $119 and $99 are ticked off now.
#4
SC
1,141 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Like that $69 price. That would be well worth it for a week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#6
used to be North of NYC/Landed SOUTH
1,676 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by TXGlowgirl
It was $69 on the 9/2 sailing. I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it, but that's amazing how low if it's true. I'm really glad we didn't buy it if they just keep lowering it. I'm sure the folks that bought it at $119 and $99 are ticked off now.
That's terrific, hopefully it will continue to drop. I thought $99 was good for a week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CruisefromNY
Anna
Wear pink and fight like a girl!


#8
Richardson, TX
71,088 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
$69 and I dont know if I could resist.

I read its a 8 week test though.. and Im on Magic week 9, the week after the 8 week test ends.

I hope they keep it past the trial
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
#9
High Desert, California, USA
5,871 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by TXGlowgirl
It was $69 on the 9/2 sailing. I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it, but that's amazing how low if it's true. I'm really glad we didn't buy it if they just keep lowering it. I'm sure the folks that bought it at $119 and $99 are ticked off now.
Not surprising and very common actually. Carnival is just trying to determine where their MAXIMUM revenue RETURN is.

FOR EXAMPLE: 100 @ $119 ($11,900) would return less than 150 @ $99 ($14,850) which would return more than 200@$69 ($13,800). They need to find the OPTIMAL price point. I'm sure they have to also take into consideration how efficiently they can handle all this usage.

Great selling point, IMHO, would be to offer FREE internet usage while on board a Carnival ship ! ! However, its questionable if their systems could handle all the internet traffic this would produce from a single ship.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gary

Question with boldness . . hold to the truth . . . speak without fear.
LIMITED government . . . INDIVIDUAL freedom . . . FREE markets


Cruise Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearyeagle/sets/


Coming up 4/24/ Inspiration getaway again
Carnival Breeze - Cozumel,Belize,Honduras
Carnival INSPIRATION X2 - can't beat these prices, folks. Gotta do it again.
Carnival IMAGINATION X2- Ensenada, Catalina again
it never gets old. (26 miles across the sea)
PRINCESS STAR - Alaska, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, B.C.
Carnival MIRACLE X3- So Caribbean, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba and Mexican Riviera
Carnival SPLENDOR X 3 - Mexican Riviera BF & AF, sister of the Costa CONCORDIA
Carnival SPIRIT lower Mexican Riviera, Acapulco,Zihuantenejo/Ixtapa,Manzanillo
Carnival VICTORY X 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cozumel, Panama, Montego Bay

Carnival LEGEND - Eastern Caribbean
Carnnival PRIDE X 2 Mexican Riviera PLATINUM !
Carnival GLORY X 2 Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean
Carnival ELATION X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival JUBILEE X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival TROPICALE X 3 Mexican Riviera
NCL SEAWARD Western Caribbean
PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver
#10
Richardson, TX
71,088 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by glrounds
Not surprising and very common actually. Carnival is just trying to determine where their MAXIMUM revenue RETURN is.

FOR EXAMPLE: 100 @ $119 ($11,900) would return less than 150 @ $99 ($14,850) which would return more than 200@$69 ($13,800). They need to find the OPTIMAL price point. I'm sure they have to also take into consideration how efficiently they can handle all this usage.

Great selling point, IMHO, would be to offer FREE internet usage while on board a Carnival ship ! ! However, its questionable if their systems could handle all the internet traffic this would produce from a single ship.

I dont know if things have changed since my Ike cruise, but they told me on the ship that a 3rd party provides the internet on Carnival ships (unlike RCL who provides their own).

It might have changed .. but if its a 3rd party, of course the breakdowns above would not be nearly as simple as you laid out.

Obviously nothing is free, they would have to be able to charge more for the cruises to make up for not charging individually and everyone would have to pay more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
#12
High Desert, California, USA
5,871 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by firefly333
I dont know if things have changed since my Ike cruise, but they told me on the ship that a 3rd party provides the internet on Carnival ships (unlike RCL who provides their own).

It might have changed .. but if its a 3rd party, of course the breakdowns above would not be nearly as simple as you laid out.

Obviously nothing is free, they would have to be able to charge more for the cruises to make up for not charging individually and everyone would have to pay more.
Those were just examples of how the business mind functions, firefly. I didn't offer it as a "simple" solution. I have no idea where their price point might be or how they would market it.

Another EXAMPLE: If they normally take in an average $6000 on a 7 day cruise now, then charging and additional $2 per passenger would handle the extra cost on a standard ship. Not much at all, however, if they are going to use a 3rd party not everything changes (they'll just to have to allow for the % the third party gets). If this keeps up they won't have any operations that aren't their own.

I personally think they should stick to cruising. Forget the ice skating rinks, the rock-climbing walls, the flow-riders, and the internet, etc. and stick to cruising. Just keep providing the cheapest and safest way to get from A to B comfortably with decent dining and let the others provide the circus and shopping malls.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gary

Question with boldness . . hold to the truth . . . speak without fear.
LIMITED government . . . INDIVIDUAL freedom . . . FREE markets


Cruise Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearyeagle/sets/


Coming up 4/24/ Inspiration getaway again
Carnival Breeze - Cozumel,Belize,Honduras
Carnival INSPIRATION X2 - can't beat these prices, folks. Gotta do it again.
Carnival IMAGINATION X2- Ensenada, Catalina again
it never gets old. (26 miles across the sea)
PRINCESS STAR - Alaska, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, B.C.
Carnival MIRACLE X3- So Caribbean, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba and Mexican Riviera
Carnival SPLENDOR X 3 - Mexican Riviera BF & AF, sister of the Costa CONCORDIA
Carnival SPIRIT lower Mexican Riviera, Acapulco,Zihuantenejo/Ixtapa,Manzanillo
Carnival VICTORY X 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cozumel, Panama, Montego Bay

Carnival LEGEND - Eastern Caribbean
Carnnival PRIDE X 2 Mexican Riviera PLATINUM !
Carnival GLORY X 2 Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean
Carnival ELATION X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival JUBILEE X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival TROPICALE X 3 Mexican Riviera
NCL SEAWARD Western Caribbean
PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver
#13
Richardson, TX
71,088 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by glrounds
Those were just examples of how the business mind functions, firefly. I didn't offer it as a "simple" solution. I have no idea where their price point might be or how they would market it.

Another EXAMPLE: If they normally take in an average $6000 on a 7 day cruise now, then charging and additional $2 per passenger would handle the extra cost on a standard ship. Not much at all, however, if they are going to use a 3rd party not everything changes (they'll just to have to allow for the % the third party gets). If this keeps up they won't have any operations that aren't their own.

I personally think they should stick to cruising. Forget the ice skating rinks, the rock-climbing walls, the flow-riders, and the internet, etc. and stick to cruising. Just keep providing the cheapest and safest way to get from A to B comfortably with decent dining and let the others provide the circus and shopping malls.

Yea, I know they were examples.. I am just thinking they wouldnt get much cheaper .. but would be nice. Id sign up. I pay some every cruise to get online in the ports as it is.. Id give Carnival a bit more on the ship if the cost gets more reasonable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
#15
16 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Just got off the Magic 9/9-16 sailing. The Internet price was unlimited $39.99 for the week or $9.99 per day. Great deal, good connections and lots of computer hubs throughout the ship. Hope they stick with this plan.
#16
894 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Any word on if this will stick? I have a vacation in march, and may be able to convince my hubby to go on a cruise instead of a resort if I could bribe him with free internet, even if leaving from Texas isn't the most convenient for us.
#18
Texas
107 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
I am on the Magic right now. There are two plans. "The New High Speed Plan" for $99.99 per Cruise ($29.99/day). "Basic Plan" for $39.99 per Cruise (what is on most ships right now). I purchase the High Speed plan. I must say it is SO MUCH better than the basic plan (which I had last year on the Legend).
#19
Corpus Christi, Texas
816 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
is the basic plan still unlimited? I just need to check on the kids via e-mail once a day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruise..... Carnival Triumph August 15,2015
Carnival Magic April 17, 2016


Carnival Conquest 11-05-05
Carnival ECSTASY 04-16-07
Carnival Ecstasy 10-15-07
Carnival Splendor 03-14-10
Carnival Magic 04 2013
Carnival Dream August 2014
*********************************************
My Ecstasy April Cruise http://family.webshots.com/slideshow/558771325pfEckj