Are the walls magnetic?

catsforkids

Never saw such a thing on any ocean or river ship.

I suspect the question was 'are the walls suitable for the use of a magnet' rather than actually being magnetic :)

catsforkids, probably better to ask about a specific ship or line as even if ferrous materials are used there may be a finish or cladding which renders them unsuitable for your purpose.

Also, depending on the ship, there is often very little free wall space.

We are map freaks too. On our recent Viking Emerald in China trip, we used magnet clips to hang maps. I strongly suspect that to be the case on most ships. We didn't try it on Scenic a couple of years ago, but the walls seemed to be the same as ocean vessels.

We are map freaks too. On our recent Viking Emerald in China trip, we used magnet clips to hang maps. I strongly suspect that to be the case on most ships. We didn't try it on Scenic a couple of years ago, but the walls seemed to be the same as ocean vessels.

On AMA the walls are wallpaper/ fabric as I recall, at least on their newer ships.

I used a suction hook to hold a wreath in our cabin - bought at a Christmas market. On Avalon, one entire wall is a mirror/wooden closet doors, so the suction hook worked great for my needs. I do not recall what the other walls were.

On both OCs and Viking RCs I use "fun tack" - a blue re-usable substance that's used in many, many schools. You break of a small piece, roll it in your hands and it attaches to most backgrounds and then comes of easily without leaving a mark. I always make a personalized calendar of what we'll be doing filled with phone#s, addresses, hours, etc and put it on the wall so DH can check without asking when I'm in the shower!! Also came in very handy when the train in France broke down while we were on our way to the ship - while traveling I carry it in my tote bag.

But back to Fun Tack - Staples usually has it - especially early summer before back-to-shopping! They also make their own brand in white but that isn't as good. I've used it to hang papers and also Christmas decorations - just use more for something heavy. Keep it in a small plastic baggie after using.

I use magnets a lot on cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships, and they work very well. I have been on three river boats this year (Vantage River Venture, Vantage River Discovery II and Grand Circle River Chanson) and while the walls were slightly magnetic the magnets would not maintain a grip. I think the wallpaper was too thick, but that is just a guess. I can't speak for other ships.

Thom

• 1 month later...