About Me

• Interests
    Fibercrafts, technology, and travel!
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Holland America
  • Favorite Cruise Destination Or Port of Call
    Alaska

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

crystalspin's Achievements

5,000+ Club

5,000+ Club (4/15)

1. We paid quite a bit of a B2B over NewYears ('22-'23). The "cards" arrived instantly, electronically. No roadblocks with AARP or HAL, but if you need to cancel, the refund will be to the card (good only on HAL). We were told by our Chase banker, that only the part of the cruise paid to the cruiseline would be covered by the Sapphire protection! Even if the cards are paid on the same card as you think you have "insurance", you should confirm. Others read the CSR (Chase Sapphire Reserve) policy to cover everything if any part is charged to the credit card, I am not comfortable with the giftcards for the fare. We have a couple $100 "cards" to redeem on board for OBC, only.
  2. There are (usually? always?) more port stops on the Chile/Pacific side, so I think the answer depends on, do you want to start with excursions and activity, and relax after, or vice versa. We sailed Santiago to BA and enjoyed it fine!
  3. My experience on HAL is, yes, there is an analog clock just as you scan off the ship. Confirm on a non-smart watch -- your phone may set itself to the port's time!
  4. Well, do post if the last night is Dressy! maybe HAL will admit that no one is bringing outfits that need a separate suitcase for (formerly) Gala night.
  5. Your concerns will not have changed over time. Here is a no-paywall review with photos of your very cabin on Noordam: https://halfacts.com/4178-noordam/
  6. Can't help with the ricotta question, but historically the last night onboard was never Gala, because people would have to have packed their tuxedos and gowns. Is the last port day an early all-aboard? That's where I would expect it. Day 2 almost certainly.
  7. Middle fore to aft and as low as you can get top to bottom. All of the passenger/cabin decks are above the true middle, top to bottom. But the lowest passenger decks probably do not have balconies, so go as low as do, and midship. For the itineraries, you will need to go to each prospective cruise on the cruiseline's website OR possibly a larger agency's website. I have not yet cruised the Caribbean, so I will let others suggest. We are booked on a Holland America cruise to the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao); that is Southern Caribbean. At one time we booked Royal Caribbean Cruise Line from San Juan to the ABC's, but had to cancel. Good luck deciding and Welcome to Cruise Critic!
  8. There are some notes on the comparable cabin on the Nieuw Statendam, where NS's 4154 is R'dam's 4152, here: https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4154-nieuw-statendam/ States, rarely hearing crew noises. If you are people who like to be on your balcony, jump on this one!
  9. For us, we would get the drink package and WiFi anyway, so that makes the excursions and dinners free! Agree with Florence, you are reading it correctly. You can also upgrade the Surf level internet to Premium (or Streaming if you need Netflix etc) for a reasonable fee, shown here: https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Internet-Update-from-HIA-Surf-Plan.pdf Thanks Roger! @Crew News
  10. If you post a simplified itinerary, somebody might make a guess at your Gala (Dressy) nights. If that has relevance to you. Some don't want to miss the "special" foods in MDR; others like us who do not eat (say) shellfish, may want to book specialty restaurants ON the Gala nights. Specialty restaurant menus can be found here, by CC member @Crew News https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/ We enjoy Tamarind's atmosphere best, but find more variety of foods we like at Canaletto. We only eat at Pinnacle Grill with the complimentary dinner if we have HIA.
  11. Yes, you pay for them with your cabin-card, so first to your OBC, then to your Credit Card of record.
  12. You can switch between devices! Only one device at a time with the one-device plan. When the second device wants to log on, I think it allows you to choose to bump the first device. You can order unopened cans of water. The price to rent a cooler used to be very low, like $5/day? Inquire ahead of time.
  13. Zaandam has no staterooms classified as Verandah cabins. But it does have cabins with balconies! The Vista Suites (and up) are NOT the same as Verandahs on other ships. (1) they are larger, easily and comfortably holding three adults and their belongings, and (2) if you book one at published price you get double Mariner points.
  14. I think 'lazy-man's Irish coffee' comes out much sweeter with Baileys.
  15. No, just a "tick" off your 15 with HIA.