Trying out MSC Seaside for a Family of 4

LakeWobegon

Last night my wife said of the YC, but we can still eat in the MDR too, right?

I'd like to hear some answers to this. I have read posts stating it was not possible for YC people to eat in the MDR, but if there is something on the MDR menu you want they will bring you that in the YC restaurant.

Yes. Food is very subjective. I considered the Escape food 3 of 5 stars some nights in the MDR and 3.5 to maybe 4 others. The same for the specialty restaurants. Food Republic is actually outstanding. I can't believe I waited until the second cruise to try it. Best by far. I mean I don't use the word phenomenal a lot but it was so. Looking over the Carnival menus for Vista is sort of what concerned me. I know none of these lines are what you might call gourmet or fine dining in the MDR, but the Vista looked a little too casual most nights. I eat casual at home. I like it stepped up a bit on a cruise!

Anyway, I called back the cruise consultant who helped me yesterday said yes, I can eat in the MDR whenever I choose but most people who book YC choose to eat there because it's like a 5 star restaurant. Not sure I would believe that until I try it but I get it.

Per the room, she said MSC would contact me before ever switching us. They would ask if we would do it and not do that if we didn't want do. She said the whirlpools are a different story as a lot of parties of 5 want those. Most in the YC book 4 max so the chances they would "ask" and not demand we move are slim to none.

I think MSC food in morning buffet is good, as well as during lunch. You need to go thru whole buffet because some nice stations are close to the back.

Dinners in MDR are generally good except for steaks. I can live without meat, just on fish and such, but my husband honestly tried steaks several times and they were not the best parts and overcooked.

Our son attended evening buffet and it was weak.

It was in 2014 and maybe things changed since then.

So we decided to change our reservation when we found out my daughter has First Communion that Easter week. The Catholic guilt though the rest of the family is Lutheran was too much. Per post linked to above. Anyway, this way we can do Disney for two days before too and check that off the list.

Anyway, to my point, I just called to rebook to early June and no YC rooms with the sofa and Pullman available. I was like dang. But before we gave up, the reservation agent said wait, are you OK with TWO Pullmans? The room still has a couch. Just no sofa bed and two Pullmans. That's even better I told him and he booked room 18035. So his tip was if you see a room with no square or diamond and it says it sleeps four that there are two Pullmans. Kids would much rather sleep on those anyway.

But before we gave up, the reservation agent said wait, are you OK with TWO Pullmans? The room still has a couch. Just no sofa bed and two Pullmans. That's even better I told him and he booked room 18035. So his tip was if you see a room with no square or diamond and it says it sleeps four that there are two Pullmans. Kids would much rather sleep on those anyway.

I can't believe that I didn't notice that. There's so much incomplete info on the deck plans, I just figured that no symbol was just more "missing info".

It doesn't make a difference in my case but that is great information for others. Thanks.

Yes. BTW, our will be 11 year old at sailing will cost more than the will be 13 year old. That was the case when I looked online and the total price was the same when the MSC rep quoted it. I get that they don't honor 11 and under free on this sailing but why does the 4th person under 11 cost more than the third person that's 13? I plan to ask when I call back (they will be sick of me) after the loyalty match program app goes through to see if we can apply any % off if we get something.

• 4 months later...

Trying out MSC....great cruise line...for the price!!!

Having sailed on 5 different lines thus far, I recommend my friends to try MSC but only if you are getting a great deal. Other than the Seaside (I hope) it is difficult to compare their ships to the 'other' big ones...like Escape, Vista, Oasis, etc. They just don't offer as much....especially for the kids.

I sailed on the MSC Divina earlier this year and would never take my 14 yr old on that ship. She would be bored out of her tree!!! Also, their service is far from comparable to the other lines, and I'm sure you have read about it already on this forum.

Like you I am hoping that the Seaside is an 'adjustment' from their mainline. The prices are great in comparison to what the other lines are offering, especially for a similar room.

We sailed on Divina in 2014 and on Poesia in 2013. Both from Florida. We received nice, adequate service pretty much comparable to the likes of NCL, Royal, Carnival.

Yes price was better than listed above.

For us downside was a quality if meat, mostly steaks.

Other than that we had terrific time on beautiful ships with great entertainment, cozy cabins etc.

We didn't sail with teens so I cannot comment on this, but it looks like younger kids had fun.

A couple of comments:

I belive your reservation agent was wrong telling you that you can eat in the main dining room. Unless there is a new exception to Seaside, that wasn't an option for us in YC. Not that we wanted to go to the main dining room. The YC restaurant had amazing service and if our DS wanted some from the main dining room menu, they went and got it for him. We found the YC dinning room a lot of fun, and there can be conversations between tables if your wife is looking to meet people.

As for kids on MSC and YC in general, I disagree with the previous poster who said not to take kids on MSC. I do agree that their kids programs are weaker than NCL's but our DS (12 at the time) has a great time on the sports courts, eating, making friends from all over the world. They have a lot of really fun kids stuff, the kids clubs are just shorter hours and less structured. We are returning in Jan so it will be interesting to see if the now teenager will like the less structured program.

We found the YC to be better service than Haven. Particularly because everything is included so you never have to turn your card over in the YC areas. Also, the YC exclusive areas are a lot bigger than the Haven (at least Jewel class). There is also a lot more YC staff to assist you. Two concierges, multiple butlers on top of the one assigned to your room, multiple pool assistants. Haven is great but we found YC to be amazing.

The loyalty match can be added at anytime to the booking so you have time to get that match. If you are in YC their aren't huge benefits but the 5% is nice.

I agree with comments on MDR (main dining room). You can certainly eat any time you want in the buffet - and that's always a great option for kids since there are so many choices. The MDR is scheduled with early/late seating for the general population - most having assigned tables. I don't think they would be able to accommodate drop-ins from the yacht club. You and your entire family will love the YC. Within the YC, there's finger food available in the Top Sail Lounge most of the day, the One Pool Bar has a small buffet and burgers/pizza to order, and the restaurant is open 3 meals a day - and it really is very nice.