Bad Balcony on Radiance?

If I were to take a balcony guarantee on the Radiance, what is the worst I could do? I don't mind all the way forward or aft. Location isn't what I am asking. I'm wondering if there are some 'bad' balcony cabins in terms of view.

Example, the vista class on HAL have VF balconies that have a solid steel wall instead of a railing or plexiglass to look out of. I wouldn't like that.

I have read that RCCL has designated some of their balcony cabins as 'obstructed' since they have the steel ladders in front of them. Could a balcony guarantee end up with an 'obstructed' balcony? That seems like two entirely different categories, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Finally, I've read that there are some cabins on deck 7 that are described by passangers as partially obstructed by the life boat canopies. Anything else I should be aware of? I don't mind booking guarantee and ending up in the 'lowest' in that category, but I would really like to know what the 'lowest' would be (if that makes sense).

I guess what I'm wondering is: what is the worst cabin I could end up with when booking a balcony guarantee on the Radiance (view not ship location)??

Thank you in advance,

Cheryl

Even if you get a "partially obstructed" balcony with the window washing equip....it does NOT obstruct your view. Yes, you'll see it---but it hangs above your head, and you will forget it's even there.

So, NO---there's no "bad" balcony on the Radiance class ships!

(The lifeboats don't "obstruct" your view either, unless you're interested in counting how many barnacles are on the hull of the ship! You'll still have a full outward view of the beauty of the ocean!

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the 'worst' I could do was a window washer or an aft on deck 7 above the lifeboats. A gamble that seems reasonable to take.

By chance, does anyone have photos of the window washing obstructions from the interior of the cabin? Same for the deck 7 cabins obstructed by the canopy. I'l like to be able to get a birds eye view if possible.

Again, thanks to all the responses........ much helpful :)

Cheryl

Even if you get a "partially obstructed" balcony with the window washing equip....it does NOT obstruct your view. Yes, you'll see it---but it hangs above your head, and you will forget it's even there.

The ladder that is used for maintenance and is stationed at the back of the ship when not in use extends from Deck 10 down to Deck 8 and it does obstruct your view if you are in cabin 1598 starboard or 1098 port side.

Do not worry you will not have the lifeboat canopy below your balcony and you will have a nice view. :)

Here is a thread with pictures of Deck 7 and the life boat canopy. Pictures start with post #18.

Radiance Thanksgiving Cruise Review (multipage.gif1 2)

Patti if I had one of those cabins, I think I would prefer seeing the canopy then top of life boat. On a Radiance Class we generally prefer Deck 9 D-1. We will drop to an E-1 on the Mariner, for #8620, center Port Hump with larger balcony. ( 1st Voyager Class Cruise)

Gay

(The lifeboats don't "obstruct" your view either, unless you're interested in counting how many barnacles are on the hull of the ship! You'll still have a full outward view of the beauty of the ocean!

I beg to differ... here is my review and some picts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1112809&page=2

If you know what you are getting into, it would be fine, but I would pick my cabin.

The ladder that is used for maintenance and is stationed at the back of the ship when not in use extends from Deck 10 down to Deck 8 and it does obstruct your view if you are in cabin 1598 starboard or 1098 port side.

Here is a thread with pictures of Deck 7 and the life boat canopy. Pictures start with post #18.

Radiance Thanksgiving Cruise Review (multipage.gif1 2)

Sorry for double post. I did not see someone posted my thread.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the 'worst' I could do was a window washer or an aft on deck 7 above the lifeboats. A gamble that seems reasonable to take.

Cheryl

The lifeboat covers are not aft on deck 7....they are all down the balconies of the middle cabins. The forward cabins on deck 7 look straight down at the water and have an extended balcony, but with a half rail divider for the last 2 feet or so.

The aft deck 7 balcony cabins don't have the lifeboat covers, but they have a similar blockage from the roof of the colony club.

Now I'm a little worried. We have 7660 on our next cruise. It is starboard aft. Will I be disappointed?

You have an extended Balcony that you can look all the way down to the water No Life boat obstruction just the cleaning rail for obstruction

we listened to a couple complain about there balcony cabin. They said it was the furthest aft on the side and half the balcony is tucked inside the metal structure.

I looked at them from the outside and indeed they are tucked in there.

By chance, does anyone have photos of the window washing obstructions from the interior of the cabin? Same for the deck 7 cabins obstructed by the canopy. I'l like to be able to get a birds eye view if possible.

I don't have interior shots, but here's a pretty good one from outside: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2452138100069108448zaXtKn

There are more pictures in the album. I don't think that it looks so bad.

Kevin, hope you don't mind my referencing your thread, but it was the first one that came to mind when the OP asked for pictures.

Not at all... i just want people to know about these particular views. They can lead to disappointment.

We always choose our cabin, except when sailing Princess where we pick a guaranteed mini suite. We have never been disappointed in any of the aforesaid endeavors. Insofar as the "lifeboat" scenario is concerned, do not worry since the mildly negative reports with regard thereto are equivalent to a tempest in a teapot.

We booked a balcony guarantee on the Radiance for our first cruise and I wouldn't hesitate to book one again if it means saving as much money as we did. We ended up with room 8160 which was near the aft of the ship, and actually the room beside us was the one with the window-washing equipment obstruction. You can see it in the picture below. It didn't really bother us as we could only see it if we looked sideways. It wouldn't be ideal to be in that stateroom with it directly in front of you, but I think that's one of the chances you take when booking a guarantee and I'd be willing to risk it again for the chance to have a balcony cabin.

I have also attached a picture looking forward from our balcony - you can see the top of the lifeboat cover below. For people on deck 7, it's not an obstruction unless looking directly down. It doesn't block any of the outward-facing view as the top is at an even level with the floor of the balcony (almost as if you could jump over the balcony rail and walk on it - obviously not recommended though!) :)

I hope this helps!

100_1540.jpg.16ed766f60bdaa819aa4be60d7e066de.jpg

100_1207.jpg.fb6f0eff46214c461e2b18c2cff9c128.jpg

Archived