Feedback on Culinary Discovery tours?

trvlfan

I know everyone recommends arranging your own private tours over the overpriced "O" shore excursion tours, and the culinary tours are certainly pricey.... but perhaps they are worth it? Would love to get feedback from those who have taken them...

If you have gone on one, can you give me an idea of how many people were on the tour (is there a maximum amount that can book it?) Do they generally get sold out, or in reverse, get cancelled if not enough people sign up for it? Were you disappointed, or did it exceed your expectations?

Thanks for any and all input!

We took a culinary excursion on the Riviera in late May of this year. It was extraordinary! We were in Rhodes, Greece, were a group of 12 (including the Chef in charge of the Culinary Center). We went to a family owned restaurant where we were welcomed with open arms.

All of us had the opportunity to cook the dishes that we would be having for lunch. While cooking, we were sipping on ouzo and/or wine (this made the experience even more fun:-). I had a question about one of the ingredients and was immediately offered a taste and an explanation of what the ingredient was (wish I remembered but I don't). It was a very hands-on experience and they made sure that everyone was involved in the process.

After a couple hours of cooking (outside), we went inside to the kitchen and took a tour of the area. This was followed by an absolutely amazing lunch.

Once we arrived back at the ship (totally stuffed), we had 2 hours to relax before going to the Culinary Center for a class on making some "small" Greek items. We were still quite full from lunch so the small tastes worked out very well.

I highly recommend the culinary tours!

Completely agree with Travelcat2. We booked at culinary excursion on the Marina in Corfu last year and really enjoyed it.. We had the opportunity to go to some markets that we would have not seen otherwise. They were a highlight. Off the beaten path and not on any other tours. Also had the opportunity to see some culinary shops that were great. At the same time got to see the town and had a chance to spend some time on our own in the town. The culinary classes on the ship were great and alot of fun. While they are a bit spendy, we thought they were well worth it..

If I'm not mistaken, I think the tours have a maximum of 40 people since that is the max people that the culinary center can hold for the cooking classes when you return.

If you have not seen it, take a look at the Oceania food and wine blog... It will give you a good idea on what to expect.

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/food-wine/

If I'm not mistaken, I think the tours have a maximum of 40 people since that is the max people that the culinary center can hold for the cooking classes when you return.

The culinary center only has 12 stations with 2 people per station wouldn't 40 people be a bit crowded :confused:

I'm not talking against the O "foodie" tour -- in fact, I'm looking forward to taking one. But food tours in general have become very popular, as attested by an article in the most recent NY Times Travel Section.

We've done non-O food tours in Athens and Istanbul recently and they were fabulous.

However, one advantage the O tour has is that you buy your produce and bring it back to the ship and work with it. (As I understand.)

With the other tours, you nibble your way through a town but benefit from someone else's cooking, not your own.

Seems to me that both approaches are wonderful. I can particularly recommend the Food Tour in Athens with "Athens Walking Tours" and the Istanbul "Markets" tour with Context Travel (which does various tours in many cities, in Europe and the U.S.)

Here is a link to the NY Times article (which was rather general):

Follow Them to the Food

So-called food sherpas offer small groups of visitors an intimate encounter with carefully chosen local purveyors, and help them order what’s right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/dining/food-sherpas-guide-you-to-a-citys-culinary-secrets.html?ref=travel&_r=0

Mura

Thanks Mura for the link - missed the NY Times article in the July 30th issue. Interesting comments posted by readers as well. Looking forward to our tour out of Marseille this fall.

Archived