PR: Crown Princess to Debut Line's First Roundtrip Caribbean Sailings from New York

Coral

Press Release

3/10/2005

Crown Princess to Debut Line's First Roundtrip Caribbean Sailings from New York

New Ship Marks Princess' Return to Bermuda, Introduces Two New Ports of Call

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (March 10, 2004) -- When Crown Princess debuts next summer, the vessel will introduce Princess' first ever roundtrip Caribbean sailings from New York. This inaugural sailing season will feature nine-day roundtrip voyages to both the Eastern and Western Caribbean and will include Princess' return to Bermuda.

Beginning June 14 and running through October 18, 2006, Crown Princess will offer 10 sailings on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary with calls at Bermuda (West End), San Juan, St. Thomas and a new port of call for Princess, Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos Islands. In addition, the lineup includes five sailings on a Western Caribbean itinerary with stops at another new port for Princess, Port Canaveral, as well as Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and Grand Turk.

"Having Crown Princess sail from New York during her inaugural season is tremendously exciting and offers a brand new cruise option for our customers," said Jan Swartz, Princess' senior vice president of customer service and sales. "We're especially pleased to once again offer passengers a regular opportunity to enjoy the British flavor and pink sand beaches of Bermuda plus introduce our passengers to Grand Turk and Port Canaveral."

Princess last offered regularly scheduled calls in Bermuda in 2002. On this new itinerary, Crown Princess will call on the island during weekends, offering a less congested experience for passengers as most cruise ships make Bermuda calls during the week.

In Grand Turk, Crown Princess will be one of the first cruise ships to call upon the completion of the island's new cruise terminal and welcome center, which will offer a variety of guest services and attractions, including a recreational area with private beach and swimming pool. The terminal will serve as the gateway to an unspoiled, remote island experience featuring some dramatic diving/snorkeling opportunities. Port Canaveral calls will enable passengers to explore the nearby Kennedy Space Center and other local attractions.

The 116,000-ton Crown Princess will introduce a number of new design innovations to the Princess fleet, including a dramatic new piazza-style atrium, new casual dining venues and expansion of some favorite shipboard areas. Within the new street café environment of the atrium, passengers will find an International Café serving up fresh pastries and baked goods in the morning and assorted other offerings throughout the day, as well as a wine and seafood bar. Several signature Princess venues have been further enhanced, including an expanded Trattoria Sabatini with a new piano lounge area and the addition of pub fare to the trademark Wheelhouse Bar. A new Steak and Seafood restaurant expands on the Sterling Steakhouse concept with an open, theater-style kitchen where chefs will custom-prepare steamed shellfish and cooked-to-order steaks and chops.

The ship will also feature the many hallmark features that define the Princess experience, including the dramatic Movies Under the Stars poolside movie screen, multiple dining and entertainment options, Personal Choice Dining featuring traditional or Anytime seating, a two-story Lotus Spa with fitness center, an extensive children and teen's center, a wedding chapel and nearly 900 staterooms with private balconies.

Crown Princess sailings will be open for booking on April 1, 2005. Additional information about Crown Princess is available through a professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or by visiting the company's website at http://www.princess.com.

Just a few comments - I was surprised at this. I seriously thought Princess would have both ships out of FLL with one going East and the other going West. I didn't expect this to be based out of the Big Apple.

While I think the Crown would be a great addition to NYC and I have no doubt the people in the NE will fill the ship easily - I am curious how this will play out sailing out of NYC. I have long considered a fall foliage on Princess out of NYC but I have heard horror stories about embarking and disembarking out of NYC - I wonder what plans NYC and Princess have planned to improve this.

I thought I read that NYC was "improving their pier" but not exactly sure when that would be or how improved it would be. I think RCCl was smart to move their pier to NJ.

Anyone else have any comments about the ship and NYC?

I wonder where it will sail in the winter months.

Good question. I am back to thinking Caribbean Princess will sail Western Caribbean and Crown Eastern (or vice versa).

I just though that Princess often puts Grand/Golden in NYC for fall foliage. So Princess may have 2 ships sailing out of NYC and maybe a 3rd if they continue with the Sea Princess also doing a fall foliage. Obviously they would not sail out on the same day.

WOW! HOORAY! Cannot believe this one! Bermuda, we recently talked about this on the boards before and someone mentioned that only the smaller ships can stop there - guess not.

Coral - you are right about NYC pier - it is a complete mess with just two ships in port. Supposedly, plans are to improve, that was news about a year ago and so far no changes.

Thanks for posting.

Sounds great to me since my kids are all in the Phila. area - at least I won't have to fly them all down here to board a ship! Waiting anxious for details, prices etc.. Anyone have anything yet?? Which TA will be the first out of the "box" and "running" :D ..............GotToCruise (aka Renee)

WOW! HOORAY! Cannot believe this one! Bermuda, we recently talked about this on the boards before and someone mentioned that only the smaller ships can stop there - guess not.

The smaller ships were able to get into Hamilton and St. George's and dock. The larger ships will have to dock over at the West End and you'll have to take the ferry, bus or taxi over to Hamilton. I am thrilled about the stop in Bermuda. We were trying to decide when we would get back there and on what cruise line. The eastern itinerary sounds great.

Guest THE EDS

Just found the Crown Princess on CC cruise reviews, she will be the sister ship of the Caribbean Princess will debut in 2006. SOUNDS GREAT ESPECIALLY IF SHE SAILS FROM NY. Hope NY gets its act together

THE EDS

This is great news. I'll definitely book. With respect to the overcrowding in NYC, It appears that the Crown Princess will be sailing mostly Midweek. (6/14 & 10/18 are Wednesdays). Midweek there is rarely more than one ship at the pier. The weekend sailings will be 7/2,7/29,9/3 and 9/30. I would assume that the Western Itinerary would occur the weeks that the Crown would leave on a weekend since the press release stated the Crown would be in Bermuda (Kings Warf) on the Weekend.The Warf is the only location that can handle a ship this size. FYI the QM2 docks there. In addition the new Cruise Terminal in Brooklyn may be open by 6/06. Last I read it would be open late 05.

Ok, I'm going to have to check the website, I hope she's their more than 1 day. There's just not enough time to do things if it's only for 1 day, absolutely love Bermuda, prettiest, cleaniest and friendliest island you can go to.:D

Debbie

I am assuming the following will be the schedule. Wed 6/14, Fri 6/23, Sun 7/2, Tues 7/11, Thurs 7/20, Sat 7/29, Mon 8/7, Wed 8/16, Fri 8/25, Sun 9/3, Tues 9/12, Thurs 9/21, Sat 9/30, Mon 10/9 and Wed 10/18.

Given the itinerary, it would be almost impossible to spend more than 1 day in Bermuda. It takes 1 1/2 days to get to/from Bermuda and 2 1/2 days to get to/from the Carribbean. This will probably be the Schedule:

Wed: Sail at 5PM

Thurs: At Sea

Fri: Bermuda

Sat: At Sea

Sun: San Juan

Mon: St Thomas

Tues: Turks

Wed: At Sea

Thurs: At Sea

Fri: Arrive back in NY

Archived