Vain woman needs help with horrible cruise hair!!

Aurora2143

I've searched through the message boards for tips on how to control frizzy hair on cruises, but have found many for women with thin or curly hair and products that work for them usually would not and have not worked for me.

My hair is a thick mixture of asian/caucasian hair. Supposed to be straight and when I went on my first cruise last year, I could not control the frizz with the products that I've used. Tried all kinds of serums and creams to no avail.

Does anyone have my type hair and know of products that I can use to look at least halfway decent during my next Alaskan cruise in May?

I have vanity issues and do pride myself on having "perfect" hair. HELP!!!! :)

Do you have naturally curly hair or straight hair? When I'm in a humid environment I don't even attempt to straighten my hair because it won't last!

It's naturally straight.

I lived in Hawaii for 30 years and had great hair. Then I moved out here in the high mountains of Colorado and finally got my hair used to the dryness. So now when I go back into humidity, my hair gets overly excited and starts sucking it all up. And I end up looking like Chaka Kahn! :)

I just returned from a cruise in Southeast Asia where humidity levels were very high and frizz had been a big problem for me in the past. This time I got the "Brazilian Blowout" treatment before I left and my hair was great the whole time. No special products were needed during the cruise.

I have the same issue when I go south, but I didn't think I would have this issue in Alaska.. I guess I'll find out in 66 days !

When I travel I don't bother bringing my hair straightner, hogs up room in the suitcase and within minutes my hair gets curly from the humidity.

Would it be possible to wear your hair held back, or up, or something? A cute scarf as a head covering, maybe? I hate to think of anyone having to obsess about their hair when they should be checking out the scenery, watching for whales and being amazed by Alaska :)

(I'll be watching this thread -- discovered this year on a Caribbean cruise that my gray hair is coming in curly, while my not-gray hair is straight.... I looked pretty "fuzzy" most of the time from the humidity! ;) )

I just returned from a cruise in Southeast Asia where humidity levels were very high and frizz had been a big problem for me in the past. This time I got the "Brazilian Blowout" treatment before I left and my hair was great the whole time. No special products were needed during the cruise.

OK--I will show my ignorance. What is that?

I thought the "Brazilian Blowout" was illegal now. Thought I saw that on the news.

Would it be possible to wear your hair held back, or up, or something? A cute scarf as a head covering, maybe? I hate to think of anyone having to obsess about their hair when they should be checking out the scenery, watching for whales and being amazed by Alaska :)

(I'll be watching this thread -- discovered this year on a Caribbean cruise that my gray hair is coming in curly, while my not-gray hair is straight.... I looked pretty "fuzzy" most of the time from the humidity! ;) )

Oh God, do you have pictures? :D

Nope, no pics, but trust me, it was "interesting" :D My hair is now mostly in a bun or chignon-type style, and a few times it was held back with a nice scarf. That'll do for now, and back home (it is VERY dry where we live) it isn't really noticeable. But the REVELATION that my gray hair is curly was a good one -- I'll be keeping my hair long for now, so the weight holds the gray more-or-less in place. (I fear that if I get it cut shorter, all the gray will SPROINK out from the rest :eek: )

Nope, no pics, but trust me, it was "interesting" :D My hair is now mostly in a bun or chignon-type style, and a few times it was held back with a nice scarf. That'll do for now, and back home (it is VERY dry where we live) it isn't really noticeable. But the REVELATION that my gray hair is curly was a good one -- I'll be keeping my hair long for now, so the weight holds the gray more-or-less in place. (I fear that if I get it cut shorter, all the gray will SPROINK out from the rest :eek: )

Oh my goodness, I can't stop laughing!!!:D

Well, I finally solved my bad cruise hair problem by investing in a couple of wigs and let me tell you, it is the best investment I have made for cruising! A friend of mine gave me the idea when I asked her how in the world her hair always looked so nice - I never realized she was wearing wigs.

Shahira

Well, I finally solved my bad cruise hair problem by investing in a couple of wigs and let me tell you, it is the best investment I have made for cruising! A friend of mine gave me the idea when I asked her how in the world her hair always looked so nice - I never realized she was wearing wigs.

Shahira

This has got to be the best idea EVER!!!!

My son's transvestite friends always ask if I wear a wig because every picture they see, the hair is always perfect. LOL!!!!

I've searched through the message boards for tips on how to control frizzy hair on cruises, but have found many for women with thin or curly hair and products that work for them usually would not and have not worked for me.

My hair is a thick mixture of asian/caucasian hair. Supposed to be straight and when I went on my first cruise last year, I could not control the frizz with the products that I've used. Tried all kinds of serums and creams to no avail.

Does anyone have my type hair and know of products that I can use to look at least halfway decent during my next Alaskan cruise in May?

I have vanity issues and do pride myself on having "perfect" hair. HELP!!!! :)

The John Frieda serum somebody posted upthread works GREAT. Aveda also makes a good line called Smooth Infusions. I found last year that if I put in some mousse and then smoothed that serum over my hair, I'd be good most days. I did use hairspray as well, which I don't normally do, but it helped keep the top of the head frizzies down.

How about 'It's a 10' smoothing serum? Works great for this mop of mine - I have a lot of hair, its thick and unruly - this is the only stuff keeping it under control!

Thanks, I'm going to try it here on a rainy day and then try it on our cruise in May.

How about 'It's a 10' smoothing serum? Works great for this mop of mine - I have a lot of hair, its thick and unruly - this is the only stuff keeping it under control!

Sheesh! I just bought their whole line from shampoo to hairspray. :D

OMG, I am ROFL. My hair is relatively normal here in the Midwest. But, everytime I get west of the Mississippi, I have friz head. I gave up years ago and just call it vacation hair. All of our Alaska pics show me with "west" hair. I was too busy looking at the fabulous scenery to care.

Lib

Sheesh! I just bought their whole line from shampoo to hairspray. :D

While I have different hair issues than you do - I love "It's a 10" hair products and have entirely switched over to their line also. I went on a short trip recently and didn't take any with me (carry on only flight) and I had the worst frizz ever.

If "it's a 10" doesn't work for you, I'd suggest Wen. I love their product and it's tamed my frizz. I don't follow their directions though because I never felt it got my hair clean enough. I shampoo with Paul Mitchell first then use the Wen as a conditioner which I leave in my hair for a few minutes before rinsing out. I just bought their travel pack for our June cruise to Alaska:)

Aurora, you're a girl after my own heart - go big or go home!;) Hope it works for you - otherwise you've got a lot of product, lady, that you're going to have to pawn off on someone!:D

You are funny! After reading about the shampoo and conditioner, it sounds like it would be able to help me out here at home with the extreme dryness issues. So we'll see. *crossing my fingers* :D

And yes, go big or go home! That's me :D

If "it's a 10" doesn't work for you, I'd suggest Wen. I love their product and it's tamed my frizz. I don't follow their directions though because I never felt it got my hair clean enough. I shampoo with Paul Mitchell first then use the Wen as a conditioner which I leave in my hair for a few minutes before rinsing out. I just bought their travel pack for our June cruise to Alaska:)

I've tried Wen and perhaps I should have tried it the way you did. I hated it. My hair felt like I'd been out on a hunting trip all weekend and didn't wash my hair for a week prior - GROSS!

'It's a 10' sounds like good products. We shall see.

Thanks ladies! You're all awesome!

I am loving Marc Anthony "bye bye frizz" keratin blow dry cream. I put it in my hair while it's damp, blow dry, then use MA iron shine flat iron heat protector spray and I can't even believe how good my hair looks! Totally frizz free!

Archived