Diamond Princess - help please in choosing cabin!

PrincessPete

Hi all

I have posted previously about choosing a balcony cabin on a Far East cruise next year and am still seeking more help - sorry about repeating this although having read lots of the postings in the few days since I joined the site everyone seems really willing to help - so thank you very much in anticipation!

We have been on lots of cruises and I have never been undecided about the choice of cabin before but I have not been on a ship where the balcony cabin decks are "tiered" down and can be overlooked and/or are exposed to the elements - this cruise is for a special birthday so I want to get it right!

I want a balcony cabin and could run to the cost of a mini-suite but I really do not like the fact that the balconies in those cabins on Dolphin deck are fully exposed (and overlooked from above) - if the weather is not brilliant it would possibly make the balcony redundant because of a lack of cover. I do not fancy the mini-suites on Emerald deck as they are too far away from midships.

That really leaves me with the choice of standard outside balcony cabins on Lido, Aloha, Baja or Caribe decks. I understand from earlier most helpful replies that those on Caribe deck have a much bigger balcony and also a slightly bigger cabin.

But..........on Caribe deck they are still overlooked from above.

What would you do????

Lido deck which is not overlooked but the smaller size...................Aloha deck where most are not overlooked but they are smaller..................Baja, the smaller size and overlooked....................Caribe deck, overlooked but larger.

It might sound daft asking other people their thoughts on what they would book as it is all down to personal choice, of course, but we would welcome any comments based on personal experience.

One final very specific question.

Does anyone know if the cabins on Caribe deck have an overhang from above meaning they are not as fully exposed to the elements as those on the Dolphin deck.

We are VERY grateful for your time in reading this and any forthcoming comments.

With kind regards.

Princess Pete!

[qucote=PrincessPete;20179336]Hi all

I have posted previously about choosing a balcony cabin on a Far East cruise next year and am still seeking more help - sorry about repeating this although having read lots of the postings in the few days since I joined the site everyone seems really willing to help - so thank you very much in anticipation!

We have been on lots of cruises and I have never been undecided about the choice of cabin before but I have not been on a ship where the balcony cabin decks are "tiered" down and can be overlooked and/or are exposed to the elements - this cruise is for a special birthday so I want to get it right!

I want a balcony cabin and could run to the cost of a mini-suite but I really do not like the fact that the balconies in those cabins on Dolphin deck are fully exposed (and overlooked from above) - if the weather is not brilliant it would possibly make the balcony redundant because of a lack of cover. I do not fancy the mini-suites on Emerald deck as they are too far away from midships.

That really leaves me with the choice of standard outside balcony cabins on Lido, Aloha, Baja or Caribe decks. I understand from earlier most helpful replies that those on Caribe deck have a much bigger balcony and also a slightly bigger cabin.

But..........on Caribe deck they are still overlooked from above.

What would you do????

Lido deck which is not overlooked but the smaller size...................Aloha deck where most are not overlooked but they are smaller..................Baja, the smaller size and overlooked....................Caribe deck, overlooked but larger.

It might sound daft asking other people their thoughts on what they would book as it is all down to personal choice, of course, but we would welcome any comments based on personal experience.

One final very specific question.

Does anyone know if the cabins on Caribe deck have an overhang from above meaning they are not as fully exposed to the elements as those on the Dolphin deck.

We are VERY grateful for your time in reading this and any forthcoming comments.

With kind regards.

Princess Pete!

caribe balconies are partially exposed to the cabins above..but you do not need to sit on the exposed portion if you want privacy.

We loved our caribe balcony and who looks down on the neighbours???

I am sure most people have better things to do!!!

A.

First of all, we also thought, like you, that the Emerald deck minis would feel like we were in the basement. I kept hearing how wonderful they were so tried one last year. They are in the middle of everything. Convenient to go almost anywhere! We were lucky enough to get the last cabin starboard so we also had a huge long balcony!

Second, the Caribe deck balconies are half covered and half exposed. They are about 9x9. Approximately 4 1/2 ft. of the balcony is totally covered so you almost have a covered Baja deck balcony PLUS an open Dolphin deck balcony put together.

If you can get an aft (C753,etc.) those are TOTALLY covered and very quiet and private.

We also LOVE the Emerald mini's - I agree with chamima as to the handy location - close to lifts, one flight from the promenade deck - laundry close by, the main dining room can only be reached from the aft section, so again (part. if you use the stairs) they are accessed from these stairs/lifts ......

my 2c

Jane

I also agree that the Emerald deck minis are wonderful...we've been on three cruises and have three more booked...all Emerald deck minis. I think the location is perfect...quiet and easy to get to everything. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise:)

The Lido, Aloha and Baja deck balconies are all covered and cannot be overlooked from above. (I think in your summation you said baja deck balconies were uncovered.)

My pick would be Caribe balcony - larger size and partial cover. Sitting back under the covered portion, you would not be visible by those above you.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are in the minority - we like fully covered balconies for protection from the sun and heat. We also prefer the view from balconies that are not so deep because you can see the sea better from inside the cabin, and also from the chairs in the shady area. We don't care to look out and see the expanse of the balcony before you see the sea.

I am another lover of the emerald mini's and they are very popular considering there is only 12 of them. I do everything in my power to get a Emerald Mini. As for convenience they are handy to the pools, the buffet and frankly it is not that bad to walk toward the middle and bow of the ship. it is good exercise. Please do re-consider the Emerald minis.

Marilyn

We went on a Far East cruise last year (Diamond Princess) and were allocated Dolphin 304. We were very happy with the cabin and its location (quiet, very near the elevators, stairs and not too far away from the laundromat) but when we book our Caribbean cruise next year we will opt for a Caribe balcony cabin. The reason for this is because the longest time we were in the cabin was when we were asleep and the minis are far more expensive! The Far East cruise was just wonderful but it is very port intensive and no doubt you'll want to take the opportunity to see everything, just as we did. Don't worry too much about the balcony as you most probably won't spend much time on it! Have a wonderful time - this cruise really is the trip of a lifetime.

Ros

My favorite cabins on the Diamond Princess are C748 and C752. Both have private wrap around covered balconies. Of these two cabins C748 would be my top choice because the C752 had an extremely faint sour odor but not really a big deal. Also even though these two cabins were the same size C748 felt ever so slightly larger. C748 also came with the absolute best cabin steward we've every had on any Princess ship.

There is no true privacy on any balcony - if people want to lean over a balcony, they will see you on the Dolphin Deck, if they want to lean over the balcony by the divider, they will see you from the balcony next door.

Minisuites are much larger than balcony cabins. The reason the minisuites are exposed on the Dolphin deck is because the area of the balcony on the Caribe deck is inside the cabin - so in effect, you are getting almost a second room, and then the balcony starts.

We have just booked our 7th and 8th Princess cruises. Other than the first, they have all been in minisuites. I am constantly amazed that they are only a little more expensive than balcony cabins.

• 6 months later...

Another vote for the Caribe balconies! They offer the best of both worlds; the covered portion is equivelent in size to the smaller balconies above on Baja and Aloha, but then the uncovered portion extends out giving you double the size of the smaller balconies!! Honestly, between the smaller balcony and a Caribe balcony, I think you'll love the Caribe. We've had both and the Caribe felt plenty private enough because you can always stay in the covered portion. I also like the lower vantage point from Caribe; especially if you have a chance to view dolphins, whales, etc. as we did on a recent cruise.

Chamima mentioned C753 earlier. We have been in that cabin on the Diamond and it is super. The balcony is larger than other balconies on any deck, and is completely covered. Wind is not a problem on that balcony, either. C753 and its sister cabin on the port side are two very sought after cabins. You will have to act quickly to get one of them, but if you do I believe you will like it.

We are in the minority - we like fully covered balconies for protection from the sun and heat. We also prefer the view from balconies that are not so deep because you can see the sea better from inside the cabin, and also from the chairs in the shady area. We don't care to look out and see the expanse of the balcony before you see the sea.

Same here.. We just had A611 on the Sapphire Princess and LOVED it. While it was coveredwe found that during the most afternoon we did have full sun. Loved everything about this balcony, plus the fact it was right under the buffet (but no noise) so every late afternoon we would run upstairs and come back with a plate heaped with cheese, fruit, verg, appys, etc etc to go with our glass of wine on the balcony.

A611 location was great for locations to buffet and pools, this stateroom was right across from laundryroom and close to elavators.

Archived