Beware of "Engine noise" on Ventura midship

Britiscruizin

We have just returned from a cruise on Ventura to the Fjords.:) We had booked a balcony cabin on B deck which looked in a great position (ie: cabins, above, below & opposite). Just before we left we were upgraded to a bacony cabin on C deck, midships: everyone I asked said it was a "great upgrade"! How wrong could they be?:( There were no cabins across the corridor, only "white panels" behind which were the ships "workings". They generated constant noise & kept us awake at night. You could still hear it during the day but as we spent a lot of time on the balcony it wasn't as much of a problem. So if you don't like noise at night avoid the cabins without inside cabins opposite them:mad:

Having said that we loved the Fjords & still had a great cruise.

Ours was C605, but, the "white panel" stretched from C607 to C617 & then again further back (both Port & Starboard). I'm not sure whether all these cabins had as much as ours but, ours was REALLY noisy! Maybe if your husband is a little deaf he won't notice but, we have normal hearing & it really bothered us. My husband isn't usually bothered by road noise, ticking clocks etc but, this even kept him awake. Hope your cabins not affected, enjoy your cruise. Are you going to the fjords?:confused:

Ours was C605, but, the "white panel" stretched from C607 to C617 & then again further back (both Port & Starboard). I'm not sure whether all these cabins had as much as ours but, ours was REALLY noisy! Maybe if your husband is a little deaf he won't notice but, we have normal hearing & it really bothered us. My husband isn't usually bothered by road noise, ticking clocks etc but, this even kept him awake.

Actually, when walking around Ventura on the last cruise we had become aware that were some noisy spots. I don't think it's just on C deck - we took to walking along the A-deck corridor to exit by the Terrace pool, and we noticed a noisy area as we walked from the rear staircase to the terrace pool door. So it might be on all decks.

We have just returned from a cruise on Ventura to the Fjords.:) We had booked a balcony cabin on B deck which looked in a great position (ie: cabins, above, below & opposite). Just before we left we were upgraded to a bacony cabin on C deck, midships: everyone I asked said it was a "great upgrade"! How wrong could they be?:( There were no cabins across the corridor, only "white panels" behind which were the ships "workings". They generated constant noise & kept us awake at night. You could still hear it during the day but as we spent a lot of time on the balcony it wasn't as much of a problem. So if you don't like noise at night avoid the cabins without inside cabins opposite them:mad:

Having said that we loved the Fjords & still had a great cruise.

We were also on this fabulous cruise. We were on c deck No.608. Have to say we were really pleased with our cabin and especially the large balcony. Can honestly say we heard no noise but we were portside. Worth bearing in mind for next time. Loved the Ventura.

Tom: I think you are right about it being on all decks as we noticed it as well.

Lazy Susan: You will love cruising. This was our 3rd cruise: 1st with P&O/Ventura. If theres anything you need help with or want to know please don't hesitate to ask.

I really don't know what made the "noise" but, it was constant throughout the day & night. Others near us also commented. The last night it was accompanied by a "clanging" which someone told us was all the luggage being loaded into cages & the cages banged together. :confused:

When we were on Ventura we had C629 which had white spaces opposite...while we didn't hear any engine type noise, the white space was a door way in which the lugguge came and went and we heard room service trolleys a couple of times first thing in the morning.........the other thing we experienced was when we were in port our cabin smelled of cooking so we wondered if the aircon inlet was near a vent shaft for the kitchens or something.

I can't bear the smell of stale cooking, its one of my pet hates but we didn't have this problem at all when the ship was sailing and we just opened up the balcony door on port days which freshened the cabin up pretty quickly.

If we went on Ventura again, we'd probabaly try to get a cabin in the same area as overall it was a great location for us.

Hi Britiscruizin............You know I've got a vague feeling I read that somewhere along time ago that at the back of the ship you can get vibration from the funnel......but we were further back than you and we didn't hear that noise....maybe it depends if its rough weather or not.........we had really calm seas so guess we were lucky :)

Its a shame this marred your trip........if its a well known problem you'd think they'd warn you before you booked the cabin :confused:

Hi Watb

What upset us the most was that P&O upgraded us to that cabin, promoting it as "midship with larger balcony" as opposed to our more forward cabin on B deck!!

We too had calm seas but as it was the Fjords it entained a lot of manoevering so maybe that was the problem. It didn't really spoil the cruise as we loved Norway.

William Dean

The post wasn't complaining about ships. It was to warn people that if they are trying to choose a cabin then the noise in this one could be a problem if they need a quiet nights sleep.

We have been on several cruises & this is the first complaint we've had. As I said it was "sold" as an upgrade but, we wish we'd stayed with our original choice.

Drat, i got a email from P&O this morning, they have upgraded me from B252 to C512. Panic! is it near the noisy area?

I checked the deck plan and it is surrounded on all sides by cabins and on the decks above and below so hopefully it will be OK and i won't regret forgetting to tick that box. On the other hand I think I did tick the box.

• 8 months later...
Drat, i got a email from P&O this morning, they have upgraded me from B252 to C512. Panic! is it near the noisy area?

I checked the deck plan and it is surrounded on all sides by cabins and on the decks above and below so hopefully it will be OK and i won't regret forgetting to tick that box. On the other hand I think I did tick the box.

Hi

I note that you were previously upgraded from B deck to C512. We are going on Ventura on 15th and have been upgraded from B241 to C511. I was wondering whether you actually experienced any noise in this area? We asked not to be upgraded but don't know what to do for the best! Your views would be appreciated.

Hi

I note that you were previously upgraded from B deck to C512. We are going on Ventura on 15th and have been upgraded from B241 to C511. I was wondering whether you actually experienced any noise in this area? We asked not to be upgraded but don't know what to do for the best! Your views would be appreciated.

Sorry I can't help you with this one as I got upgraded again! To outside E201 forward, brilliant and close to the facilities (bars).

Last week i was in B249 and the only noise was the aircon. I will always choose a cabin forward from now on.

Thanks so much for your comments. A few people have responded in different forums with mixed messages. If C511 was directly opposite a White block I would go back to B deck but as there are cabins opposite, I'm not sure. A phone call to the TA may be appropriate!

Archived