Best Reasonable Travel Insurance ?

az-cruiser

Just booked our cruise and now I need to purchase good, reasonable travel insurance.

Who is the best company out there ?

Any actual experiences from anyone that had to use the travel insurance would help too!

Just booked our cruise and now I need to purchase good, reasonable travel insurance.

Who is the best company out there ?

Any actual experiences from anyone that had to use the travel insurance would help too!

I don't think there is necessarily a best as everyone has different needs. I always go to www.insuremytrip.com and it let's me input my travel details and then shows me all of the plans that provide coverage. The website lets you select several policies and compare them side by side.

I've used InsureMyTrip and Squaremouth. Both are good but I think I like Squaremouth a little better, they seem to have a little better insurance. But, I've never had to use the insurance so it's just a personal opinion.

Hello. We always use TravelGuarddotcom and thankfully have never had to file a claim, very happy about that :)

You may want to take a look at the website insuremytripdotcom, they list all of the different insurers and you'll find many different policies and different costs but it's a great place to start.

Just a heads up, not sure about other companies but IF you book your insurance with TravelGuard within 15 days of booking your trip there is a pre-existing condition waiver included. I always start the insurance process when we pay the first portion, usually a deposit to hold then as we may payments or add hotels, rental car, etc you can go in and modify your policy, including the new amounts.

Hope this helps you start the ball rolling.

Wow - have not seen travel insurance pop up in almost a month I guess.

Remember, that the vast majority of folks never have a claim. Therefore, it worked out just fine for them no matter how good or bad their policy was.

The sites mentioned above are good ones.

Just came across an interesting article on insurance

I booked my upcoming cruise through CAS and purchased the insurance at that time. I am assuming that the insurance is the same through NCL. I found the price to be extremely reasonable. The important factor for me is adequate medical coverage and evacuation if necessary. Were you quoted an insurance rate when you booked?

Rochelle

Thanks everyone for all the input!

We were quoted $59 pp thru Berkeley Leisure Care (never heard of them)...I booked our cruise thru marriott so I could earn marriot points :D

I'll be checking out the websites ya'll mentioned :p

Thanks everyone for all the input!

We were quoted $59 pp thru Berkeley Leisure Care (never heard of them)...I booked our cruise thru marriott so I could earn marriot points :D

I'll be checking out the websites ya'll mentioned :p

The quotes really do not tell much. Coverages include things like:

Unable to travel for personal reasons

Unable to travel for medical reasons

Trip interruption

Lost baggage

Medical expense

Medical evacuation

Life insurance

etc

etc

then there are the deductibles.

Sadly, most people buy it as if is some way to make sure you still get to go on the cruise and are not thinking about the potential LARGE expenses instead.

Are these insurance companies for Canadian's as well? If not, can you suggest one that is?

Our first cruise had the insurance booked through a bank and it ran us around $400 for two adults and two children. Does this seem about right for the usual run of the mill coverage?

Another vote for insure my trip. My needs vary depending on port location and when I plan to get there (ie. fly in day before) so I sometimes need to pick one with a shorter travel delay feature and other times it isn't that important.

I always buy the travel insurance within the time frame of the pre existing waiver option because you never know if something will come up before final payment that becomes a pre exisiting condition (whether for yourself or a family member- even one not travelling with you, but their health would impact your ability to travel)

I usually guesstimate my expected costs for the trip at that time and book insurance to cover it all. If I find that I have underestimated (which I have several times) I contact the whichever insurance company I used and up the insurance to cover the new non-refundable purchases (like private excursions, for example)

Pre existing conditions relate only to the traveling party not their non traveling relatives

So if you have an elderly parent who has a medical condition and has it when you book you trip that is not what prexisting means

It means if you the cruiser have the condition

Think it through and you will understand that you cannot possibly be held accountable for a non traveling family members condition

What if they choose not to tell you about it? So it is not their condition it is your pre existing condition that matters. Of course you can buy insurance after final payment too. If a non traveling close family member takes ill and it is serious you the cruiser are covered even if that family member had the condition for 10 years

Regardless I buy it within 14 days because it is fairly reasonable and I like the cancel for any reason clause.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Pre existing conditions relate only to the traveling party not their non traveling relatives

So if you have an elderly parent who has a medical condition and has it when you book you trip that is not what prexisting means

It means if you the cruiser have the condition

Think it through and you will understand that you cannot possibly be held accountable for a non traveling family members condition

What if they choose not to tell you about it? So it is not their condition it is your pre existing condition that matters. Of course you can buy insurance after final payment too. If a non traveling close family member takes ill and it is serious you the cruiser are covered even if that family member had the condition for 10 years

Regardless I buy it within 14 days because it is fairly reasonable and I like the cancel for any reason clause.

Several years ago, I booked a flight to Florida for myself, my daughter, daughter-in-law, and grandson through Northwest and decided to take their insurance. After I booked, we found out that my daughter-in-law's mother had a brain tumor. She had been going to doctors for awhile, but had not been diagnosed until after I booked the flight. The day before the flight, the mother took a turn for the worse and was given only a few days to live. My daughter-in-law and grandson did not go on the trip. The insurance company denied my claim for their fares stating that the mother had a pre-existing condition. Several phone calls and letters from the attending physician did not change the outcome.

Several years ago, I booked a flight to Florida for myself, my daughter, daughter-in-law, and grandson through Northwest and decided to take their insurance. After I booked, we found out that my daughter-in-law's mother had a brain tumor. She had been going to doctors for awhile, but had not been diagnosed until after I booked the flight. The day before the flight, the mother took a turn for the worse and was given only a few days to live. My daughter-in-law and grandson did not go on the trip. The insurance company denied my claim for their fares stating that the mother had a pre-existing condition. Several phone calls and letters from the attending physician did not change the outcome.

That could be because you bought the insurance from the airline and not a third party . Maybe it was a lousy policy I don't know but what I do know is pre existing only relates to the traveling party

It is always wise to buy third party insurance

If you look into "pre existing" definition you will see what I mean

IMHO what you are saying happened us probably due to buying it from the carrier in this case the airline

This issue was discussed ad nauseum a few weeks ago and if I recall correctly all seemed to agree that the term pre existing does in fact only refer to the traveling parties

Just an FYI had your airline carrier gone bankrupt you would not have been reimbursed either because you bought the policy thru them. Had you bought third party Insurance you would have unless that carrier was was on a " do not insure" list that the Insurance companies compile

Regardless. Travel insurance purchased within 14 days solves these issues

Edited by luvtheships

You should also look at the sub-forum specific for Travel Insurance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

We had a big claim due to a medical emergency less than two weeks before leaving for a very special (and expensive) trip to celebrate a few special occasions.

It was nice NOT worrying about the money, when we had to focus on the medical problem (which took a few months to resolve), and also the serious disappointment of NOT traveling.

EDIT TO ADD: We got the insurance for the medical coverage while traveling, never thinking we wouldn't ever get to go at all...

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple

At this moment I can't remember the insurance I had when I had to use it two years ago for a medical emergency. They would not take our private insurance, so I had to pay cash for everything (airline tickets, surgeon, hospital, hotel etc in cash. The travel ins would not pay anything till I submitted claims to reg. ins. co. After everyone paid, I was still out about 4 grand. My advice is no matter what ins. you get make sure you bring a credit card for such emergencies.

Are these insurance companies for Canadian's as well? If not, can you suggest one that is?

Our first cruise had the insurance booked through a bank and it ran us around $400 for two adults and two children. Does this seem about right for the usual run of the mill coverage?

$400 isn't too bad. It depends on what was covered and how much.

-- Kanetix . ca is the most popular Canadian all-in-one insurance quote site. But I find they have a limited amount of travel ins. companys that they represent.

-- Medipac .com is the only travel insurance company endorsed by the Canadian Snowbirds Association (and you don't need to be a retiree to apply.)

-- The big banks all offer very affordable travel insurance, especially multi-trip annual plans that include cancellation insurance.

-- Then there's Travel Cuts ( travelcuts . com, then click insurance at the top of the page.) They have the best prices I've seen in a long time and they're underwritten by RBC Worldprotect Insurance. Travel Cuts was originally intended for university students who wanted to backpack around the world and live like a hippie for months at a time. But they now accept anybody under the age of 50. A 7 day cruise for a family of 4 will run you about $250, and that includes $5k (per person) of cancellation coverage.

This issue was discussed ad nauseum a few weeks ago and if I recall correctly all seemed to agree that the term pre existing does in fact only refer to the traveling parties.

In researching travel insurance today for my upcoming cruise, I came across this on Trip Insurance Store dot com.

"The Pre-Existing Medical Condition exclusion can not only apply to you, the insured, but, for some coverages, can also apply to your traveling companions and traveling or non-traveling family members."

Edited by luvcruzing
Edited to add quotes.

In researching travel insurance today for my upcoming cruise, I came across this on Trip Insurance Store dot com.

"The Pre-Existing Medical Condition exclusion can not only apply to you, the insured, but, for some coverages, can also apply to your traveling companions and traveling or non-traveling family members."

Not on the policy I buy. It specifically says you and your traveling party when talking about pre existing

However my policy also allows me to cancel should a non traveling family member take seriously ill or dies. If that family member has been sick for 10 years its is of no consequence

But lets not be silly here. Final payment is approx 60 days out so that is basically the time frame you are concerned about. If you feel a non traveling family member is at risk just think twice before making payment

Also all things aside just but a policy within 14 days of booking and it also pays to NOT buy a rock bottom policy if you have concerns

Fwiw I just bought one today and read every line.

Edited by luvtheships

Another idea, call travel guard personally and tell them what type of policy and what coverage you're interested in purchasing, I posted earlier and stated we too use travel guard and luckily have not had to file a claim which were very thankful for. Our main objective for the insurance policies for all of our travels is due to coverage in the event something happens to my elderly Mother. I've talked to the agents at TG, explained that she is a cancer survivor however we need to be able to cancel if she is ill or worse, again, very important to purchase within the 14-15 day time frame from booking with any cash output for the pre-existing waiver. She does not travel with us and I've always been told and have read my policies stating that we would be covered if need be. Like I said, we hope to not have to use these policies.

Another idea, call travel guard personally and tell them what type of policy and what coverage you're interested in purchasing, I posted earlier and stated we too use travel guard and luckily have not had to file a claim which were very thankful for. Our main objective for the insurance policies for all of our travels is due to coverage in the event something happens to my elderly Mother. I've talked to the agents at TG, explained that she is a cancer survivor however we need to be able to cancel if she is ill or worse, again, very important to purchase within the 14-15 day time frame from booking with any cash output for the pre-existing waiver. She does not travel with us and I've always been told and have read my policies stating that we would be covered if need be. Like I said, we hope to not have to use these policies.

Well this is exactly what I mean when I say that pre existing only applies to the traveling party

The reason many buy insurance is because of an elderly non traveling family member

When you cancel due to that family members grave condition that is covered. They may have been sick for years but the term " pre existing" does not apply to them

It only applies to the traveling party and a condition that they may have