Mini Review 2115 Istanbul-Istanbul (incl.Spa tipping,smoking,champagne,fresh juice)

MJN1

Just a quick mini-report after 10days on the Wind: despite the criticism below we really enjoyed it!

The SWind refit is by now "old news", but for us it was the first time we saw it. We especially liked the addition of the Observation lounge and the larger gym, but not the size of the aerobics room and combining the male/female sauna into one.

The best thing was the crew: EVERYONE very welcoming, friendly and determined to make this a great cruise!

The most disappointing thing was the food: there was NOTHING wrong with it, but it was bland, spice-less and no “wow”-effect. Wines were hit and miss, some very basic “table” wines, several acceptable ones. The accompanying wine selection at dinner in the Le Champagne was NOT worth the extra money (and we had only paid $150 each as booked via Bon Voyage gift). Next time we will pay the $60 for the food for two and get two nice bottles for $240 from the list...

The ports were interesting, but mixed: Trabzon (the hill cliff monastery is a must, the rest you can forget), Batumi (small town worth a 2h stroll), Sochi (the botanic garden is great if you like this things, bad weather prevented any view from the mountain top we went, Stalin's dacha rather dreary, traffic was horrendous), Yalta (highlight of all tours given its history, palaces, scenery), Sevastopol (great for history buffs and do see the old submarine base), Odessa (the best town of the trip to walk around all day), Constanza (the worst town to visit...), Nessebur (a surprisingly charming small town). Thanks to everyone who provided advice on what to do before the trip!

Two (very small) SS cost cutting attempts (no longer copies of next day's restaurant menu in the Chronicles, no fruit basket in the cabin) were re-instated the day after we mentioned it on the mid cruise feedback (which already came on Day 3).

For the statisticians: the ship was full with 22 nationalities (roughly 1/3rd USA, 1/5th Brits, then several dozens each of Aussies and Canadians, and anywhere from 9 to 1 from other nations).

To clarify two frequently asked questions and to satisfy the curiosity on two other ones:

• the pre cruise info now clearly states “except for spa services all tips are included” and the therapist clearly expected her tip... (but did not even try to flog some products).
  • the Chronicles stated daily “Most areas on board are non-smoking, however there are certain areas where cigarette smoking is permitted: specifically designated tables in some bars and lounges and specifically designated outside areas on the open deck. Smoking is not permitted on any guest veranda.” So precise in some areas, vague on smoking in cabin, but smoking was NEVER a problem.
  • the Champagne was Drappier and Heidsieck Monopol Blue Top.
  • the orange juice claimed to be fresh, but most likely was not freshly squeezed.

And YES, we booked again our next cruise... As said above, we did enjoy it despite some faults.

Welcome home! Delighted to see that despite some disappointments you have rebooked with Silversea.

I am very excited about my forthcoming Med cruise in 3 weeks time on Spirit from Cannes.

After reading Ralph Grizzle's recent blog from Spirit , I am confident that this cruise will live up to our expectations and hopefully surpass them!

Thank you for sharing the alternative choice of Champagne as this was one of my questions.

It's also great to know that the Spa (run by Steiner) have relaxed their policy on the hard sell, which was very off-putting and unrelaxing on previous Celebrity cruises.

Tipping in the Spa has been a question on this board so thanks for clarifying that too.

I spoke with Silversea reservations yesterday regarding their smoking policy which online says no smoking in suites or verandahs but this contradicts my travel documents which states , no smoking in verandahs and no mention of suites.

I was concerned of stale smoke odour from my suite as I'm asthmatic.

Silversea reassured me that there is never any odour and that even in the Humidor with the cigar smoking the ventilation is excellent and will not be an issue, so I am happy with that.:)

I hope to sail on Wind some day and am counting down the days to my first introduction to all things Silversea.

Regards Sakaara

Two (very small) SS cost cutting attempts (no longer copies of next day's restaurant menu in the Chronicles, no fruit basket in the cabin) were re-instated the day after we mentioned it on the mid cruise feedback (which already came on Day 3).

Thanks for the review. Just off the Cloud on Monday. We had menus and a replenished fruit basket daily. I wonder why Wind was different. Maybe an indecisive chef and a short supply of fresh fruit?:D

Duct tape – the Hotel Director was Lester Woodfall. We saw him occasionally around the ship, but had no interaction except a friendly hallo (no issues at all on the hotel front, apart from the menu/fruit- the cabin staff was superb).

SeaMatesNYC – they did run out of berries on the last two days of the cruise....

CruisinPashmina – people were tipping around 15%. I saw a pile of charge slips in the massage room (left intentionally?) and on something like $141 for a massage people had added $24 or on $175 a $25 tip was added. Europeans are usually used to 10%, USA often give 20%, so 15% sounds about right to me;)

Thanks so much for posting about your cruise. We're booked on this cruise next July so i was most interested in your experience.

Disappointed to hear Drappier is still the house champagne. Heidsick Monopole is better but I'd prefer Piper-Heidsick. Actually, I'd prefer vintage Krug but wouldn't we all :D

• 2 weeks later...

weighing 3

different cruises,,Regent,Seabourn,Silverseas,,,this seems like best itinerary,,,,others only 7 days in Black Sea and less ports...

Is the area scenic when cruising,,seas smooth ususally,??Have been to Russia,,,and interesting towns,,but very basic ....lots of "communist style""buildings and sort of run down...can t seem to get much info on ports,,,,were did you get it???

Not sure the food situation is "luxury" from description,,,,just got off Seabourn and frankly,,best cruise,service,and food,,,so far,,after 15 or so...will be hard to top,,,but always willing to explore new experiences,,

Really appreciate your review,,,,always nice to get first hand account,,,

On the Spirit we had no fresh fruit, which I thought was strange because you always get that in good hotels in Europe, but we did have the menu in the Chronicles. We did not get a Le Champagne menu as others have mentioned, which is a pity because we've already forgotten what some of the dishes were.

We were also aware of (some) people smoking on the balcony - we were down wind of some particulary heavy cigar smoking.

Archived