Observations on FTTF - Liberty

EBFURR

We have not purchased FTTF but have considered it. We have been diamond on RCI for several years and got used to the priority boarding but it will be a while before we get to that level on Carnival. I have seen that FTTF has been sold out on most of our bookings anyway. On our Oct. 15 Liberty cruise we had an 11:00 check in time and this is our experience.

We were at the Radisson and were assigned to the first shuttle for Liberty. We rolled right through check in with usual efficiency at Port Canaveral. They had the waiting area segmented in to sections and they told us to have a seat in section 4. The first three sections were already filled. While we waited there were multiple announcements about boarding status and progress. Eventually they began boarding with a couple who had 130+ cruises on Carnival - wow!. They got the VIP treatment and a lot of cheers from the crowd. Next were suite guests and then the diamond and platinum. After the at came the FTTF crowd and there seemed to be a large number of them. As soon as they were through, the sections began boarding in sequence. I would say that we were moving about 15 minutes or less after the FTTF.

My conclusion: If you have an early check in time you will not get aboard much earlier with FTTF. If having your cabin available is important, then that might be a reason to purchase it. Over the years we have learned to travel light by checking most everything with the porters. I carry a backpack and my wife carries one f those over the shoulder over-sized Vera Bradley type thingys. We do not find that too inconvenient and we can carry everything that we might need upon boarding and any valuables that we want to keep with us.

I am not necessarily recommending against FTTF; I am just saying that if you get an early check in time you probably will not save a lot of time in the actual boarding process, at least at Port Canaveral. Hopefully someone will find this helpful.

I totally agree that Port Canaveral gets everyone boarded quickly but there is one other advantage....The priority wait line at customer service. That can come in handy too :-)

Good point. I overlooked it probably because we breezed right in with no wait. I can see where that might not always be the case though.

Just off the Breeze and the people who purchased FTTF were able to disembark much faster than us! I tried to buy it for months prior to the cruise, but it was always Sold Out! We did make our Shuttle in Galveston, but barely...

We have not had any problems getting off early without it, but that would be FFTF "Faster From The Fun" would it not? :-)

Seriously, if we have an early flight to make we show them our tickets and they let us roll. We are doing self debarkation. Again, my point is that if you are looking at it solely on the basis of boarding earlier it did not seem to make much difference. For those of you who use it and feel like it is a good value, I am not knocking you. We just do not see it adding much value for us given our preferences.

Another benefit of FTTF that we discovered at PortMiami a few weeks ago was being able to bypass the HUGE line of people waiting to enter the terminal. We just went to the FTTF/Priority entrance and walked right in and were shown upstairs to the special FTTF waiting area.

The boarding process was so well orchestrated that Carnival's people had us making our way upstairs on the escalator even while the Ds and Ps were still filing through, and just as soon as they finished passing by, we were right behind them heading to the gangway. Just about perfect.

Also, priority tendering is a useful FTTF perk on itineraries that include any tender ports.

Another benefit of FTTF that we discovered at PortMiami a few weeks ago was being able to bypass the HUGE line of people waiting to enter the terminal. We just went to the FTTF/Priority entrance and walked right in and were shown upstairs to the special FTTF waiting area.

The boarding process was so well orchestrated that Carnival's people had us making our way upstairs on the escalator even while the Ds and Ps were still filing through, and just as soon as they finished passing by, we were right behind them heading to the gangway. Just about perfect.

Also, priority tendering is a useful FTTF perk on itineraries that include any tender ports.

That's been my experience on multiple cruises. I have by-passed huge lines. To me, skipping long lines is worth it, but the added bonus of having my room ready to drop off my carry-ons seals the deal. I think it's great that some people don't think it's worth it because that's a little less competition to get the passes.

While we don't need it for the tender (only 1 port and we booked excursion through ship), in fact we have excursions booked for all ports but one and that one is just a get off and shop port, disembarkation we don't need it (as we have booked excursion through ship), GS line not sure we will need that. So the only benefit for us would be quicker boarding and room ready and not sure that's worth the added cost. BUT I am worried our itinerary might change, which would change the need for FTTF. As of right now, all FTTF is sold out for our cruise since we booked, so unless we get lucky, we might not have any choice anyway. Can you hear the marbles rolling around in my head hehehehe

We always each have a bookbag as a carry on which isn't a big deal but we also always have 4 cartons of soda with us as well. It's nice to be able to drop them off in the room, have our luggage first to get our things unpacked. Also to have the priority tendering since we always take independent excursions. That way we can get underway with out excursion. Oh and to bypass the ginormous line to enter the terminal as others have said.

BUT I will say Prt. Canaveral is awesome in how they have things flow regardless of FTTF or not.